Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I have an Intel Mac, but I still feel that it's too early to drop support for PPC. They only stopped selling them 2/3 years ago. If Windows XP can run on computers with a 233MHz processor (which is what I had until last year), then Apple can run Snow Leopard on 2 year old computers.

ESPECIALLY G5s. That would be plain STUPID if they cut off support for G5s.

In all fairness, they'll still be updating 10.5 for a while to come... we're only up to 10.5.3. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "optimized features" came to 10.5 owners in a software update.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I guess drop all the PowerPC drivers, binaries and files (therefore dropping all the application sizes and increasing speed and efficiency), no new features, another $129 thankyouverymuch. :eek::rolleyes::mad:

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I'm probably going to be ignored, but I'll say it anyway...

Developers using XCode 3 and Leopard right now are required to use Intel machines if I am correct. At least XCode 3 requires an intel machine.

So does it not make sense that a release meant only for DEVELOPERS would also require intel machines?
i.e. support for PPC would be stupid and useless if the release is meant only for those that are already required to be on intel machines.

This could just be me being hopeful, but it makes sense, right?

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I adore my G4, but if this does end up happening..I won't be upset as I am all for OSX moving forward.

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
Snow Leopard is mainly about performance. If you have a PPC processor then it's very unlikely that any of the new improvements in snow leopard will help that much. So not really that much of a big deal.

I'm probably going to be ignored, but I'll say it anyway...

Developers using XCode 3 and Leopard right now are required to use Intel machines if I am correct. At least XCode 3 requires an intel machine.

So does it not make sense that a release meant only for DEVELOPERS would also require intel machines?
i.e. support for PPC would be stupid and useless if the release is meant only for those that are already required to be on intel machines.

This could just be me being hopeful, but it makes sense, right?
This is incorrect. Xcode is a universal binary and you can use it on PPCs. Developers do not need to have Intel computers.

Scottcop

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
I thought Snow leopard was suppose to have a small footprint, save you hard drive space for your photos etc, seems you need to have 9 gigs spare.

I know nowadays you can pick up a 500gig drive for £60, but I assumed it had a much smaller install than that?
I suppose its a pre-beta(?) so we maybe things will change.

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
I think this is a fantastic move, people will complain, but if it leads to a much better and faster OS then so be it.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I thought Snow leopard was suppose to have a small footprint, save you hard drive space for your photos etc, seems you need to have 9 gigs spare.

I know nowadays you can pick up a 500gig drive for £60, but I assumed it had a much smaller install than that?

Well, you gotta think about some stuff. It has to install everything that Leopard currently has, too. All of those features. Then, developer tools, fonts that are useless but needed by some people, etc. Then you have what Snow Leopard brings.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008

131105-6846_400.jpg

Image from LogicielMac
LogicielMac publishes a screenshot for the system requirements for Mac OS X Snow Leopard which was seeded to developers this week. The requirements list the following:

- An Intel Processor
- An internal, external, or shared DVD drive
- At least 512 MB of RAM
- Display connected to an Apple-supplied video card
- 9GB of disk space, or 12GB for developer tools

Developers received an early copy of Snow Leopard at WWDC this week. As this is an early version, requirements could change in the future, but the dropping of PowerPC support has been long rumored. MacRumors can independently verify that these are the current requirements for Snow Leopard.

Article Link

This was expected.
Rest in Peace PowerPC. :( You were great for your time.
Still surprised the minimum RAM requirement is 512MB.

ecoons

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
slicecom I was looking to do the same with my PB G4 12" But I love it so much that I am just considering buying a iMac and keeping the laptop around for mobility. I bought my computer less than 3 years ago and it runs Leopard fine. I just don't see how they can cut PPC support for those G5 owners who bought late in 2006.

If Apple wants to sell high end computers that are going to last their customer base 3-5 years (which I would say is a good amount) they need to keep the support running.

I mean, how would some of these new Mac Pro owners feel if 10.7 wouldn't run on their computers in 2 years...

With that said, I DO see the advantages of switching eventually.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
My iMac G5 which i got just b4 the intel transition is almost 3 years old. In another year, when snow leopard launches, it'll be 4. Thats about as old a computer can get. Even if i cant install snow, and i still want to use it, it will function just fine under leopard for another year without feeling overly obsolete from a software perspective.

In order to move forward, we must leave the past behind.

The Menacer

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
A little earlier than I expected, but bound to happen eventually. I guess they are gonna use Snow Leopard as their foundation for the future, and because of that, they decided the PPC machines couldnt keep up. I'm sorry if you have a PPC Mac, but this had to happen at some point.

So this is Apple's Vista?

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
I think it is also to early to call. There are still developments in the G6 area and I would suspect Apple still has rights to use the architecture. I wouldn't be surprised if PA Semiconductor wouldn't be able to churn out a low power G6+ in the future...

I feel sorry for all those Quad/Octo-Core G5 owners out there. There are Octo-core G5's, right?

michaelvoigt

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
Austin,TX
whoa, you could buy a powerPC 2 years ago

According to the web archive you could still purchase a powerPC full line of Mac computer through the first quarter 2006.

Do you stop making a OS that works for machines that are 2.5 years old, especially for Mac hardware?

I mean for god-sakes Vista will run; like crap, on a much older machine.

I find this lazy, and flawed.

I still prefer the architecture of the powerPC and find it more efficient. If they could only get the chip heat down for a laptop sized G5 it would be a different world.

stormj

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
California

Things might change depending on how it's compiled.

Anyway, I love the name--I hope it raises awareness a little about Snow Leopards, which are super cool critters. I think moving past PPC is not unexpected.

So my only remaining question is this:

Does it ditch Carbon? Wouldn't having a Cocoa-only API go further to streamline things than removing PPC support?

Personally, I thought the universal binary concept was neat, and hope it stays around just because I wonder whether or not x86 is forever.

FrenchKheldar

macrumors member
May 1, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I don't get it... If Apple will use PA Semi stuff for its portable devices (iPod, iPhones) and the OS X on these has the same kernel as the OS X on the Mac (based on what was said on the keynote), does that mean Apple will integrate x86 procs (Atom 2 since Atom is an order of magnitude away in terms of power used) on a system on chip designed by PA Semi?

I'd like to believe that most of the optimization will indeed be focused on x86 architecture but that PowerPC support will still be around for the future. To those so high on Intel right now, don't forget that the wind can change direction pretty quickly in this field, and that it would make sense for Apple to keep its options open. Now I'm sure they will keep internal builds for PPC but a complete drop still sends the wrong message to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.