Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macthoughts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
Hi

I purchased a Mid 2011 Imac that has OS X E1 Capitan installed as the operating system. I am trying to uninstall it to load Mac OS Snow Leopard 10.6 which I have the DVD Installation Disks for from an old Mac I had. I am looking to carry this out to run Music Program (Pro Tools 8) which this OS is compatible with. My problem is when I go to uninstall E1 Capitan I cant erase the Hardrive its on under Disk Utility the Erase tab is not shaded. When I go to install the Snow Leopard I keep getting the following message ( You cant use this version of the application "Install Mac OS X" with this version of OS X you have " Install Mac OS X" 23.1.

I have tried numerous things but cant seem to find a solution. I believe a Mid 2011 Imac can still run Snow Leopard.

I don't know if a similar thread to this already exist, but I would very much appreciate any assistance with this.

Many thanks.

Macthoughts

Solo Keita

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
You need to boot your computer using the DVD as your boot disc. You can do this by booting up your computer and holding down the "C" button as it boots. Then open Disk Utility, wipe the computer's HD, then install Snow Leopard.

OR

What I do is I have a USB HD or USB thumb drive that I have installed a MacOS too. In your case, plug in an empty USB memory device, install Snow Leopard or some other MacOS to that, then boot from it (holding down "Option" when booting. Then you can wipe the HD inside of the computer because you aren't using it at all. Which then allows you to install Snow Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.