Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
aegisdesign said:
This is the one thing I'm really going to miss. The new mail program looks like a boring outlook clone with the most bizarre buttons I've ever seen in an Apple application. I hope someone comes out with a hack to put the old style graphics back at least although I guess the drawer is gone forever.

I really hate having the mailboxes on the left and on a small screen, being able to switch the drawer out helped.
My issue wasn't with the drawer itself, I agree it can be useful, my beef was with the implementation. Take another look at the image, the drawer is still there, it just goes all the way to the top, no more accidentally clicking on the application behind mail. Plus there are no icons in the toolbar above the drawer so if you close it, all the icons in the toolbar stay exactly where they are, i.e. exactly where you expect them to be. That's good UI design and demonstrates someone at Apple is still thinking about this stuff.

I'm not sure why you would suggest it looks like an Outlook knock-off, I use Outlook at work and I'm finding it difficult to see where there is any similarity, oh wait, they both have an Inbox.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Fun calculator bug

For some odd reason, I use calculator a lot. Well in Tiger, you can close the calculator window using cmd-w...but you can never get it back again.

Worse, you have to force-quit calculator - cmd-q doesn't work once you close the calculator window.

If the window is gone (see step one), you can choose the paper tape and the calculator window will show up again. But it won't actually do anything.

Sigh.

The calculator in Dashboard seems to work OK, but it's pretty basic. The color scheme on the dashboard one is much nicer, tho.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
usarioclave said:
For some odd reason, I use calculator a lot. Well in Tiger, you can close the calculator window using cmd-w...but you can never get it back again.

Worse, you have to force-quit calculator - cmd-q doesn't work once you close the calculator window.

If the window is gone (see step one), you can choose the paper tape and the calculator window will show up again. But it won't actually do anything.

Sigh.

Works fine here.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
While I like the new Mail look just fine--even the toolbar buttons--but I do NOT like that they have a totally different look from any other OS X app. Too many button styles! It's very odd to me that Apple would to that. We have about six different toolbar styles now.

But it's a micro-trivial issue in the face of what Tiger offers.

Question: Can you launch the full calculator from the Dashboard calculator? I know you can do that with Address Book and iCal, allowing me to remove those from my Dock and still get to them fast when needed. I'm hoping Calculator works the same way.

TIA.

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Ja Di ksw said:
So why not use unique serial #'s? I would laugh if Apple did with this OS, but didn't tell people and then caught everyone who had an illegal copy.

I can see it raising privacy issues to report the serial # of the mac its on, but what else would make it a "really bad idea"?

Regardless of those who use i11egal M$ products, Uncle Steve trust us as a mac user who loves apple won't use illegal copies of Apple product (at least the OS) and hence give us candy like a pretty packing like what we received Panther (perhaps should also include Apple Sticker inside!!!) :cool:

thedoc1111

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
maya said:
Remember Apple is not MS, since Apple makes most of its profits on its HW and PRO apps.

Not quite - the street (wall street that is) thinks Apple's next big thing will be software revenues, of which the majority will naturally be the consumer apps, not the pro apps...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
virividox said:
what happens when u get the family pack?

My guess is that IF Apple are uniquely serializing each disk then their servers will use other information about your computers to tell how many instances there are of that discs OS logging in to identify potential piracy. They might even use ISPs to try and distinguish multiple users logging in from different ISPs to alert of potential use outside of one household. Its doable but I dont think Apple are quite ready to be that heavy handed without warning people.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
i_am_a_cow said:
Actually, it makes sense. Mail is one of those applications that you have open while you have other applications open and it's not fun if you can't easily see the differences between these apps. The buttons look really cool in real life. I do admit they are a bit strange at first, but the icons are basically the same with grey buttons behind them.

Come on, you're just trying to justify the difference here.

There's no excuse for yet another UI style. It was a bad enough stretch when they made the Finder metal.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
aswitcher said:
[...] They might even use ISPs to try and distinguish multiple users logging in from different ISPs to alert of potential use outside of one household. Its doable [...]
So how will Apple distinguish between me using my iBook at my mother's house when I vistit her (quite often) and my mother using her Mac** with Tiger from my (soon to arrive) Family Pack...?

**Note that this is purly hypothetical, as my mother doesn't even have a Mac...

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
pigwin32 said:
My issue wasn't with the drawer itself, I agree it can be useful, my beef was with the implementation. Take another look at the image, the drawer is still there, it just goes all the way to the top, no more accidentally clicking on the application behind mail. Plus there are no icons in the toolbar above the drawer so if you close it, all the icons in the toolbar stay exactly where they are, i.e. exactly where you expect them to be. That's good UI design and demonstrates someone at Apple is still thinking about this stuff.

But it's entirely inconsistent with the rest of the OS. AFAIK it's the only tool with that interface. And I'd expect the icons to move left if I collapse the 'drawer'.

I've personally never had a problem with the old drawer metaphor or it's implementation. I've never clicked the wrong application because the drawer doesn't extend all the way up to the titlebar. You also don't seem to understand how they work. If you've still got access to a 10.3 machine, close the drawer, then pick up a mail from your open mailbox and then drag it to the side of the window pane - the drawer slides open for you to drop your mail into a folder. When done it slides away again. That is really cool if you don't want mail taking up masses of screen estate.

pigwin32 said:
I'm not sure why you would suggest it looks like an Outlook knock-off, I use Outlook at work and I'm finding it difficult to see where there is any similarity, oh wait, they both have an Inbox.

Because now we've got the same three pane classic old style mail application with a grey title bar and grey buttons with icons on and the folders on the left whereas before it looked like an OSX application, not a reskinned copy of Outlook with graphite buttons. The folders were on the right, putting what was important, your mail, in front of you reading from the left. It was a well thought out piece of human interaction.

Go look at the screenshot posted earlier of Mail with Preview behind it. That's two interface styles, and Preview rocks IMHO. And then we've got the iTunes/Finder metal style.

And the transparent widget style in iLife05.

And the Pro Video tools interface in darker grey with different tab styles.

And the wood in Garageband.

I don't care which ones they pick, but be consistent with where they are implemented. Their interface consistency has been shot since 10.3 came out and Mail makes it worse.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
mnkeybsness said:
out of curiosity, does anyone know what bit torrent site this is talking about?

---NEVERMIND---
The site is a swedish tracker that is known for never taking legal threats seriously because there is some legal loophole in Sweden that doesn't follow much for international copyright laws.

HEY!! mnkeybsness is from Minnesota too :)

sorry.. wayyyy off topic.

I still think it is stupid that for how cheap Tiger is with the education discount, that people STILL insist on sealing it. I know for a fact that 2 people I know have downloaded it, and they are BOTH in school and would get a great price on it anyway.

Did I have them burn a copy for me? heck no!! I will be at the Tiger release at the Mall of America.

on any other day my previous sentance would create panic and shock

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
So how will Apple distinguish between me using my iBook at my mother's house when I vistit her (quite often) and my mother using her Mac** with Tiger from my (soon to arrive) Family Pack...?

**Note that this is purly hypothetical, as my mother doesn't even have a Mac...

If you use different ISPs then it would be more likely to be two computers since most people dont pay to ISPs. Then again business might be on one and home on another so its far from fool proof.

Different countries within an hour of each other is likely a give away as well ;)

ebally

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2004
London, UK
Does Tiger recognise 700MB CDs?

I was wondering if there is any news on whether Mac OS X Tiger recognises 700MB CDs, or does it still insist they are only 660MB?

I never really understood why this happens with the Operating System, when Toast seems fine with utilising all 700MBs of data on a CD.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
ebally said:
I was wondering if there is any news on whether Mac OS X Tiger recognises 700MB CDs, or does it still insist they are only 660MB?

I never really understood why this happens with the Operating System, when Toast seems fine with utilising all 700MBs of data on a CD.

I wasn't even aware of this issue. Interesting.

Flatbar

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2005
BAH!

Did anyone happen to notice that the Apple legal team has terrible grammar? This post is cannot be real and did not REALLY happen. Furthermore how could they ask for the "identities" of the persons? That is not information that an anonymous bittorrent searching server would have. They might have the IP numbers but not the "identities." I don't think that the Apple legal team is that out of it. ALSO - If the bittorrent service of that size is logging IP numbers then, besides having a lot of disk space and server power, they are incriminating themselves (each IP logged = another count). They would be extremely foolish to do so.

ion

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2005
UK
Anti-aliasing in Tiger

Have you guys noticed a change in anti-aliasing of text? i noticed in some websites where bold text is present - the anti-aliasing in tiger looks really thicker than in panther...

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Windows XP 64-bit available today

Microsoft releases 64-bit x64 (AMD/EM64T) Windows XP today, they managed to barely beat 10.4 to market with a 64-bit "desktop" operating system.... Unfortunately, they're advancing the "64-bit myth" as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

58504_590x230_x64trial_F.jpg

The "trial" is a full CD with a 120-day time limit. You can also get a free upgrade of XP to XP x64.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
AidenShaw said:
Microsoft releases 64-bit x64 (AMD/EM64T) Windows XP today, they managed to barely beat 10.4 to market with a 64-bit "desktop" operating system.... Unfortunately, they're advancing the "64-bit myth" as well.

It's not a myth for Windows. The x64 architecture has more registers than the old Intel 32bit architecture and chucks away a lot of the baggage from the Intel ISA that has held it back. It's quite a bit faster.

Only problem you have is you also need 64bit applications to take advantage of it too. Until you see x64 64bit Photoshop, 3DS or whatever, they won't run any quicker.

sintax

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2005
Austin, TX
AidenShaw said:
Microsoft releases 64-bit x64 (AMD/EM64T) Windows XP today, they managed to barely beat 10.4 to market with a 64-bit "desktop" operating system...

I don't know about that... if you try out their 64-bit XP version it says:
The trial CD software kit is available only in English when you order it from this Web site. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for shipping CD orders.

And also this was supposed to be out like a year ago now. Why doesn't MS just stick to what they do best: XBOX. :)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
aegisdesign said:
It's not a myth for Windows. The x64 architecture has more registers than the old Intel 32bit architecture and chucks away a lot of the baggage from the Intel ISA that has held it back. It's quite a bit faster.

Only problem you have is you also need 64bit applications to take advantage of it too. Until you see x64 64bit Photoshop, 3DS or whatever, they won't run any quicker.

Here we go again..

Take it away Aiden :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.