Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
How much does Apple usually charge for each OS X upgrade? Do most people upgrade every time, or do they skip every other one?

Leapard doesn't seem to contain a lot of interesting new features to me.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Most people upgrade all, but many people wait a while...some people wait for stability issues, or compatibility.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
No real pattern of when people do and don't upgrade. At this point, there are many applications that do not support Jaguar (two versions ago), so very nearly everyone uses Panther or Tiger. But there are a good handful of Panther users.

I'd say, if you don't see compelling features....

1) Wait and see once it comes out if something about it ends up interesting you.

2) Wait for all your apps to be 100% supported on it.

3) If you still don't want it, just skip until you have an app that will not run on the version you have.

I don't have immediate intentions of getting Leopard, but I might at some point.

Angrist

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2005
MI or NJ
Personally ... I upgrade all my machines within a month of a new release.

The exact timing usually depends on what my school status is at that moment, and how lazy I am about ordering. I DON"T upgrade them all at once, usually a couple of days apart so I can look for compatibility issues.

My major motivation is usually new OS features and applications. Most third party applications continue to support the previous release for a while, although many times new features are added to take advantage of all the cool developer features that Apple keeps adding. (Core Animation looks really slick btw).

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Most people upgrade every time, but not just for the new features that Apple focuses their advertising on. Each upgrade has major under the hood improvements that are required for some of the best new applications that will come out. In terms of Leopard, there are still some unannounced "top secret" features, but from what we've seen so far, it's all about Core Animation.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I will probably upgrade on release day, but if you aren't a total geek then waiting for at least 10.5.1 is probably sensible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.