Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2004
Just a short rant on Apple UI

apple button=command

DVD Player (DVD) VS Quicktime (QT)

Full screen
DVD command-0 (zero)
QT command-F (QT Pro?, why have to pay pro license for full screen multimedia?????????)

Half size
DVD command-1
QT command-0 (zero)

Actual size
DVD command-2
QT command-1

Double size
QT command-2

Max Size
DVD command-3

or maybe better viewed this way

command-0
DVD=full screen or exit full screen
QT=half size

command-1
DVD=half size
QT=actual size

command-2
DVD=normal size
QT=double size

command-3
DVD=maximum size
QT=nothing

command-F
DVD=nothing
QT=full screen (with Pro?)

This one is the most obvious, command-F should mean full screen in both apps.

Am I the only one that is bothered that Apple has been inconsistent with this for several years? I guess so since they haven't bothered to fix it.

Let me know where I am wrong??, I might have missed something.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
True. It's very inconsistent. Tiger doesn't address this and actually some hotkeys have been changed from Panther.

Add Windows Media Player and VLC, and it becomes quite a hodge-podge of key combinations.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Maybe they did this to have the same shortcuts available on win machines for QT.
You're right though, they could've been more consistent.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
sheeesh....use the drop down menus. Last times I had to use that many "short cuts" was on an antique computer made in the 80 that didn't have a mouse.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2004
MacSA said:
sheeesh....use the drop down menus. Last times I had to use that many "short cuts" was on an antique computer made in the 80 that didn't have a mouse.

At least they could have the "short cuts" for full screen the same.??? I don't think that it would be that hard.???

At least most of our apps use the spacebar for play and stop. What if play/stop was different in every multimedia program that we use?

(note to self...patent idea for spacebar play/stop use to control [add vague copyright term here] multimedia devices, ie cpu, cd players, dvd players and all future gadgets with a spacebar or remote control with a spacebar. ;)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've never played around with DVD Player and QuickTime Player enough to notice that...you're right, though - that is wildly inconsistent and a possible violation of Apple's own UI guidelines.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2004
wrldwzrd89 said:
I've never played around with DVD Player and QuickTime Player enough to notice that...you're right, though - that is wildly inconsistent and a possible violation of Apple's own UI guidelines.

That is what inspired me to post.
I was reading the Apple Dashboard developer site the other day, they preach all about the Apple UI guidelines which sometimes they don't follow themselves.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Unfortunately, Apple are more obsessed with pointless eye-candy (ooooh! a ripple effect!) than maintaining a high standard of UI design. I'm sure there are similar rants on other threads about the new Mail, why have 3 window styles, why does the Finder change window style if all you want to do is hide the toolbar etc..etc.

Which is particularly ironic, as Apple's UI guidelines are (were) almost the bible of good UI design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.