Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

victorgbrmr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2024
brasil
Hi guys, my first post, I've been trying to put Mac OS X on my Mac Pro 1.1 for about 8 months
(English is not my native language so I apologize for incorrect spelling)
But let's get to my problem, I got this Mac without its GPU and I couldn't see the bootloader screen. After a lot of research I discovered how to modify the roms for efi. But I couldn't do it and with a lot of research I found here on the forum the rom already made for my gpu which is one (HD-487A-ZWFC xfx hd4870 1gb) it uses hynix memories. I recorded the ci eprom. and I got my boot screen, I was able to install Mac OS 10.5.4 with it working I tried running (MacPro2006-2007FirmwareTool)
but it doesn't open
Then I decided to update to 10.5.8 but when I do this my Mac starts and when the system loads the screen goes off and there is no video signal, then I tried to put 10.6.8 on but it doesn't even reach the installation part and I lose video signal, Then I tried directly to 10.7.5 but the prohibited symbol appears and that's it... can anyone tell me what's happening. where am I going wrong.
*my goal is to update it to mac 2.1 to put new x5365 cpus

* and install the latest Mac OS possible on it but I can't because my screen always goes off the only one that ran was 10.5.4 and every time the system starts it complains about the gpu power supply. .

* windows 7 10 x64 it runs perfectly......boot mode.

I'm from Brazil here and it's difficult to find the original gpus and when you find it, it's half the minimum wage, importing it is double the value..
I tried with another gpus also xfx r370 2gb, msi gf 210 1gb but none of them have efi because I can't modify it so I don't have the bootloader screen and the Mac OS system doesn't even appear. only working on windows

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    750.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    674 KB · Views: 26
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    963.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    822.2 KB · Views: 28

victorgbrmr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2024
brasil
Have you checked out this site?
There is a section dedicated to GPU upgrades.
hello . Look, I hadn't found it. But I'm giving it a read. But I'm having the same problems. I can't do it because I'm stuck on a very old version of Mac OS .10.5.4, I would have to be at least on 10.6 :) but I'll keep trying. Thank you again for your attention

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi guys, my first post, I've been trying to put Mac OS X on my Mac Pro 1.1 for about 8 months
(English is not my native language so I apologize for incorrect spelling)
But let's get to my problem, I got this Mac without its GPU and I couldn't see the bootloader screen. After a lot of research I discovered how to modify the roms for efi. But I couldn't do it and with a lot of research I found here on the forum the rom already made for my gpu which is one (HD-487A-ZWFC xfx hd4870 1gb) it uses hynix memories. I recorded the ci eprom. and I got my boot screen, I was able to install Mac OS 10.5.4 with it working I tried running (MacPro2006-2007FirmwareTool)
but it doesn't open
Then I decided to update to 10.5.8 but when I do this my Mac starts and when the system loads the screen goes off and there is no video signal, then I tried to put 10.6.8 on but it doesn't even reach the installation part and I lose video signal, Then I tried directly to 10.7.5 but the prohibited symbol appears and that's it... can anyone tell me what's happening. where am I going wrong.
*my goal is to update it to mac 2.1 to put new x5365 cpus

* and install the latest Mac OS possible on it but I can't because my screen always goes off the only one that ran was 10.5.4 and every time the system starts it complains about the gpu power supply. .

* windows 7 10 x64 it runs perfectly......boot mode.

I'm from Brazil here and it's difficult to find the original gpus and when you find it, it's half the minimum wage, importing it is double the value..
I tried with another gpus also xfx r370 2gb, msi gf 210 1gb but none of them have efi because I can't modify it so I don't have the bootloader screen and the Mac OS system doesn't even appear. only working on windows

Great news is your have got your boot screen and a Mac OS running.
Now all you have to do is finding a disk image of latest Mac OS (El Capitan) that can be run on your precious Mac Pro.

The complete guide and disk image file can be found in the below videos.

bonus video on how to fix errors when upgrade from MP 1,1 to 2,1

• Love
Reactions: victorgbrmr

victorgbrmr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2024
brasil
Great news is your have got your boot screen and a Mac OS running.
Now all you have to do is finding a disk image of latest Mac OS (El Capitan) that can be run on your precious Mac Pro.

The complete guide and disk image file can be found in the below videos.

bonus video on how to fix errors when upgrade from MP 1,1 to 2,1
Hi friend, it worked in parts... my 4870 doesn't output video, the Mac recognizes it but I don't have video output through it. For me to see something I had to put the Geforce 210... but I wanted to stick with the HD 4870 since it has EFI, is there any way to make it output video?

Attachments

• Captura de Tela 2024-03-25 às 19.01.36.png
    Captura de Tela 2024-03-25 às 19.01.36.png
    3 MB · Views: 32
  • Captura de Tela 2024-03-25 às 19.02.49.png
    Captura de Tela 2024-03-25 às 19.02.49.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
  • Captura de Tela 2024-03-25 às 19.01.55.png
    Captura de Tela 2024-03-25 às 19.01.55.png
    3 MB · Views: 23

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Hi friend, it worked in parts... my 4870 doesn't output video, the Mac recognizes it but I don't have video output through it. For me to see something I had to put the Geforce 210... but I wanted to stick with the HD 4870 since it has EFI, is there any way to make it output video?

Try changing the output port.
I got the HD 6670 and it works like a charm on El Capital.
I'm now using GTX680, though.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
You say the video output on the board right... if that's the case I've already changed it now if it's on Mac OS how would I do that?

You don't need to change anything on Mac OS. It is supposed to detect the port and send video signal accordingly.

I used to plug the cable from the graphic card, switching between DVI port to HDMI port and both of them worked for me on my HD6670 card. Of course I had to change the input port on my display, too.

Try the following steps:
1. Put back your GT210 (or GT120?) and runs all possible updates on El Capital. Remember to avoid the security updates that might break it (check the Youtube Video of Hrutkay Mods, I don't remember which update)
2. Add the HD4870 (while the GT210 is still there). Check in Mac OS to see if Mac OS can recognize it.
3. If yes, then remove the GT210 and do a PRAM reset.
4. If no, then I don't know what to suggest you, as your HD4870 is supposed to work fine after PRAM reset.

Last edited:

victorgbrmr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2024
brasil
Friend, I thank you, it's most perfect, everything is working fine on Mac OS... but I have a slight problem, I configure my 4870 for the PCI x16 slot and my GF 210 (yes, it's a 210, I think it worked because it's from the same family as 120 kkk) on x4 it works like a charm on mac os x. However, on the Windows 7 x64 side it appears over the x16 and x4 slot drivers. not enough resources available... error (12) is there a way to fix this and is there a lack of a driver?

Attachments

• Captura de Tela 2024-03-27 às 23.55.49.png
    Captura de Tela 2024-03-27 às 23.55.49.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 30

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Friend, I thank you, it's most perfect, everything is working fine on Mac OS... but I have a slight problem, I configure my 4870 for the PCI x16 slot and my GF 210 (yes, it's a 210, I think it worked because it's from the same family as 120 kkk) on x4 it works like a charm on mac os x. However, on the Windows 7 x64 side it appears over the x16 and x4 slot drivers. not enough resources available... error (12) is there a way to fix this and is there a lack of a driver?

I would just remove the GF210 from the MP and do another PRAM reset. Probably Windows 7 couldn't find driver for GF210. You will need to install the driver manually.
Then if necessary, I would allocate PCIe x 16 for the HD4870.

On my MP1,1. At first I kept the 7300GT and set PCi x4 for it. GTX680 got PCIe x 16.
But after confirming that my GTX680 works fine, I removed the 7300GT and put it away (for future troubleshooting purpose when I need the boot-screen).

No experience with Windows 7. I installed Windows 10 64 bit from the beginning to my MP1,1. It works perfect because Windows 10 found and installed drivers automatically, it did better than Windows 7 in this aspect.

Last edited:
  • Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.