Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cs.oyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
Portugal
Hi!

I have an old Mac Pro (1,1 - 2006) with the 2,1 FW to support some CPU's that original 1,1 FW doesn't support.

The SMC controller FW currently stay the same (1,1).

My question is if I change the SMC FW too for the 2,1 Mac Pro can have a better stability on the overall system or by other way is better stay with the current 1,1 Mac Pro SMC.

Thank you.

Cheers.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Yes I would recommend flashing the Mac Pro 2,1 SMC to your 1,1-2,1 if your up for such a task

it resolves several fan/sleep issues when running Clovertown CPUs in a Mac Pro 1,1 flashed to 2,1. I made sure to flash my Mac Pro 1,1 with the 2,1 SMC firmware when flashing the main Firmware to 2,1 Firmware (and installing clovertown CPUs) :)

Reactions: cs.oyen

cs.oyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
Portugal
Yes I would recommend flashing the Mac Pro 2,1 SMC to your 1,1-2,1 if your up for such a task

it resolves several fan/sleep issues when running Clovertown CPUs in a Mac Pro 1,1 flashed to 2,1. I made sure to flash my Mac Pro 1,1 with the 2,1 SMC firmware when flashing the main Firmware to 2,1 Firmware (and installing clovertown CPUs) :)

Hi!

Thanks for your help, now have the 2,1 SMC too. I didn't notice substantial difference (like fan noise or other stuff) but if resolves some issues for me it's okay :)

One more question. What OS X version you recommend to use on this Mac Pro? I have done some hardware changes along with the CPUs, like 8Gb RAM, 1 SSD and 2 HDD and an ATI X1900XT. The latest version supported is OS X 10.7.5, I don't like much Lion, so in your opinion should install Snow Leopard or install an "hacked" version like 10.9? What you think?

Again, thank for your help :)

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.