Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedigav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
I’ve checked through all of the RAM and it’s all good. The diagnostic LEDs on the logic board indicating failure or overheating of both CPUs A & B are solid red lights. The trickle voltage is there (amber indicator).

The issue manifests by complete failure to boot up - no startup chime sound although the fans start up and the power indicator lights up solid. Also no power to any USB ports so can’t even use key shortcuts to attempt other boot modes.

Has anybody had this do I need to replace the processors ? Do want to buy to find it wasn't them ?

Jedigav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
CPUs are not the problem.
Problem is
1 - PSU (most probably) or
2 - Logicboard

Is there any way of checking the psu before I buy one ? Does it have to be a genuine apple or can u get aftermarket to work ?

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
It has to be Apple one because of different motherboard connectors and pinouts. Only way to test PSU is to put it in another Mac Pro and test it. I don´t know is there any way to turn on Mac Pro´s PSU without logic board.

Which LED light when you press LED DIAG button on your logic board ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.