Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psycho78

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Picked up a nice 2.1 Mac Pro (model A1186 EMC 2138) from FB Marketplace cheap this weekend to play around with. Mac looks like it's been upgraded previously and has:
3.0ghz quad core Xeon X5365 processor (x2)
32gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB video card

Mac had a 256gb SSD but when I would boot it up, it would get to the Apple logo with loading bar for a moment then Mac would reset and just kept cycling.
Pulled the HDD, erased it completely and made an install USB for Yosemite. Held Option and then chose the flash drive and it then gets to the apple again and loading bar fills up completely then just freezes there. I left it sitting there for a couple hours and no change. Tried a different erased HDD, same thing.

Im kinda stumped on how to get this thing to boot atp. Any ideas?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Picked up a nice 2.1 Mac Pro (model A1186 EMC 2138) from FB Marketplace cheap this weekend to play around with. Mac looks like it's been upgraded previously and has:
3.0ghz quad core Xeon X5365 processor (x2)
32gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB video card

Mac had a 256gb SSD but when I would boot it up, it would get to the Apple logo with loading bar for a moment then Mac would reset and just kept cycling.
Pulled the HDD, erased it completely and made an install USB for Yosemite. Held Option and then chose the flash drive and it then gets to the apple again and loading bar fills up completely then just freezes there. I left it sitting there for a couple hours and no change. Tried a different erased HDD, same thing.

Im kinda stumped on how to get this thing to boot atp. Any ideas?

In the link below there is a disk image of El Capitan modified to boot on Mac Pro 2,1.
1. Download it
2. On a working Mac, restore it to a blank HDD or SSD.
3. Transfer the HDD/SSD you've just restored to the Mac Pro 2,1, slot 1 (on the left)
4. Now boot the MP2,1 with the HDD/SSD as the only disk installed.

The link I got from the below video, worked like a charm on my MP1,1.

Reactions: psycho78

psycho78

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
In the link below there is a disk image of El Capitan modified to boot on Mac Pro 2,1.
1. Download it
2. On a working Mac, restore it to a blank HDD or SSD.
3. Transfer the HDD/SSD you've just restored to the Mac Pro 2,1, slot 1 (on the left)
4. Now boot the MP2,1 with the HDD/SSD as the only disk installed.

The link I got from the below video, worked like a charm on my MP1,1.

Thanks! Will try it this week!
Quick question—when you say “restore the image to a blank had/sdd”—how exactly do you restore it to a blank harddrive?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Thanks! Will try it this week!
Quick question—when you say “restore the image to a blank had/sdd”—how exactly do you restore it to a blank harddrive?

It's quite a long time ago.

Below is a tutorial video for your reference. You can boot from Recovery partition, or from a bootable USB installer, the purpose is to access and use Disk Utility.
I remember the last time I used Disk Utility within Mac OS Lion booting from my Mac Pro 1,1.
If you use Windows, I read somewhere that you can use Transmac app to restore the disk image file to a blank disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.