Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Sorry for my poor English, I am also a bit confused. In your last post you said

Do you mean that you want the link for the updated Fan Control Software (V2.0b13)?

Or you were talking about something else?

I see it now the file attachment, sorry my mistake just did not see.

Reactions: h9826790

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Just fixed a little bug, now the PCIe and PSU fan will run at a more stable RPM, rather than fluctuate between +/- 150RPM when temperature above lower threshold.

WARNING: On the very first time to install this fan control software, the Mac may not able to correctly assign the minimum fan speed. In this case, you can expect all fans will run at MAX speed. This is normal, and nothing to worry about. The fan is rated up to that max speed. It won't break anything (but can be very noisy). All you have to do is just open the control panel, and enter the new minimum fan speed. The fan will then back to normal after a few seconds (with sensitivity set to 30), and the fan control software will start working normally. Please prepare for that! If you already remove the software. Just shutdown the Mac and perform a SMC reset, then all fan will back to native settings.

Attachments

• FanControl V2.0b14.zip
    101 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:

yukdave

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2017
Dash Point, WA
I just communicated with tech support at iStat and confirmed a few things about sensor readings

In my case
CPU A - Heatsink (111F Degrees)
CPU A - Relative to ProcHot (134F Degrees)
CPU A - Tdiode (119F Degrees)

The "Relative to ProcHot" show the differential to maximum heat of the processor which is a Xeon 5690

"Tdiode" minus the maximum temp of the processor (Xeon 5690) is the "Relative to ProcHot" reading
Larger the "ProcHot" reading is the better

FYI

heero503

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2014
Hong Kong

Thanks~ After i installed the fan control, the PS fan spin 2000RPM+ every boot up with my flashed 680...
After I lunched the CUDAZ, it will slow down.
I am afraid it will demage my machine if every time boot up the fan run in such high speed and noisy.
After remove and reset SMC, there is only PCIE and CPU in around 1500 rpm other below more low.
When lunched CUDAZ, PCIE will resume to normal.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks~ After i installed the fan control, the PS fan spin 2000RPM+ every boot up with my flashed 680...
After I lunched the CUDAZ, it will slow down.
I am afraid it will demage my machine if every time boot up the fan run in such high speed and noisy.
After remove and reset SMC, there is only PCIE and CPU in around 1500 rpm other below more low.
When lunched CUDAZ, PCIE will resume to normal.

It's a known issue, since the new version also allow the software to spin up the fan (only higher, but not lower than system target speed) to allow better cooling. And the flashed 5,1 have this high PCIe and PSU fan speed is a known issue. As you said, the solution is to stress the card after cold boot.

Since the system demand about 1500R after cold boot. And your setting (before GPU stressed) will demand 2000+ RPM. The fan will now go for 2000+ RPM, which is actually on the safe side (of something really going to overheat). And AFAIK, there is not way to ask the fan to spin at a speed that higher than the rated max speed. Therefore, yes, the noise is horiiable, but that's within limit, and should not damage anything. Of course, if you allow that speed for 24/7, the fan's life span may be shortened.

This is why I said in the ealier post. If you want to address this high RPM issue, you better go for MacsFanControl.

I can mod the code to make them force run at a lower speed (after cold boot) and still react to the designated temperature sensor. However, that will be exactly the same as MacsFanControl. The SMC will no longer able to speed up the PCIe / PSU fan if something approaching overheat. This is not a fail safe system. Not generally recommend to anyone.

If you really want that "fully automatic version" (no need to run CUDA-Z after cold boot), please let me know. I can upload the new version to here. However, since it will override the system protection, and the process require to turn on the "fan force" bit. Admin password will be required (From memory, MacsFanControl also require admin password to install, most likely due to this reason).

Last edited:

heero503

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2014
Hong Kong
It's a known issue, since the new version also allow the software to spin up the fan (only higher, but not lower than system target speed) to allow better cooling. And the flashed 5,1 have this high PCIe and PSU fan speed is a known issue. As you said, the solution is to stress the card after cold boot.

Since the system demand about 1500R after cold boot. And your setting (before GPU stressed) will demand 2000+ RPM. The fan will now go for 2000+ RPM, which is actually on the safe side (of something really going to overheat). And AFAIK, there is not way to ask the fan to spin at a speed that higher than the rated max speed. Therefore, yes, the noise is horiiable, but that's within limit, and should not damage anything. Of course, if you allow that speed for 24/7, the fan's life span may be shortened.

This is why I said I'm the easier post. If you want to address this high RPM issue, you better go for MacsFanControl.

I can mod the code to make them force run at a lower speed (after cold boot) and still react to the designated temperature sensor. However, that will be exactly the same as MacsFanControl. The SMC will no longer able to speed up the PCIe / PSU fan if something approaching overheat. This is not a fail safe system. Not generally recommend to anyone.

If you really want that "fully automatic version" (no need to run CUDA-Z after cold boot), please let me know. I can upload the new version to here. However, since it will override the system protection, and the process require to turn on the "fan force" bit. Admin password will be required (From memory, MacsFanControl also require admin password to install, most likely due to this reason).

I fell please for you that u always help and explain many knowledge to me about this machine.

Actually my 4.1 died long time ago but I found a good 5.1 this year.
Even Ture 5.1 , PCIE fan speed issue still but it is not a big problem for me.
Thanks again!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Just test the most updated version on a clean OS installation (10.12.5).

Yes, it will turn all fan to full speed few seconds after installation. That's because the installer unable to set the default parameter. (all parameters shows zero in the fan control panel)

To fix it, just open the fan control panel in system preferences, and set all required parameter. e.g.
Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 7.11.03 AM.png

And I recommend set sensitivity to 30 (most sensitive), which allow the fan to spin down much quicker. After that, you can fine turn the value as per your own preference, and everything should work as expected.

Reactions: orph

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
i relay like being able to set the min fan speed :) wish macs fan control had curves to it's fan settings like a GPU app in windows.

how do i uninstall? is it just trash FanControlDaemon.plist + FanControlDaemon & remove the system pref panel ?
"/Library/LaunchDaemons/FanControlDaemon.plist

/usr/local/libexec/FanControlDaemon"

>.< wish the PSU fan was quieter/biger or something as it's the most nosy one in the system for me, when im just doing small things (web/emails etc) the PSU temp is higher than when im rendering video o_O
ill have to pull out all my GPU's one day and try them to see if that effects the PSU temp when the computers almost much not using the gpu/cpu.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
i relay like being able to set the min fan speed :) wish macs fan control had curves to it's fan settings like a GPU app in windows.

how do i uninstall? is it just trash FanControlDaemon.plist + FanControlDaemon & remove the system pref panel ?
"/Library/LaunchDaemons/FanControlDaemon.plist

/usr/local/libexec/FanControlDaemon"

>.< wish the PSU fan was quieter/biger or something as it's the most nosy one in the system for me, when im just doing small things (web/emails etc) the PSU temp is higher than when im rendering video o_O
ill have to pull out all my GPU's one day and try them to see if that effects the PSU temp when the computers almost much not using the gpu/cpu.

Yeah, this is the main reason why I prefer this software more than MacsFanControl, which can only react to a sensor, or set a higher RPM, but cannot do both at the same time.

Correct, there are only 3 files installed to the system.

FanControlDaemon.plist
FanControlDaemon
Fan Control.prefPane

Once you remove all these 3 files. The whole apps should be completely removed. But you may need to perform a SMC reset if you want the fan speed go back to stock setting.

Reactions: orph

eksu

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2017
Just found this application. Seems like a great alternative to Macs Fan Control.

I was wondering why you choose to cap the slider for the upper threshold on PCIe devices at 60 degrees, and if the settings in your latest screenshot are your recommended settings for a Dual X5690 machine.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Just found this application. Seems like a great alternative to Macs Fan Control.

I was wondering why you choose to cap the slider for the upper threshold on PCIe devices at 60 degrees, and if the settings in your latest screenshot are your recommended settings for a Dual X5690 machine.

That's the PCIe ambient temperature, not any PCIe device (e.g. GPU) temperature. If the PCIe compartment (ambient) temperature is 60C, that's super hot. I don't think you can achieve that before you kill the cMP (or something inside).

That last screenshot setting should work for a dual X5690 cMP. But I don't think your booster fan will stay at 900RPM. Most likely will auto adjusted to accommodate the usually warmer Northbridge temperature on the dual processor cMP.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Just installed this on on my Mac Pro and I cannot stop the fans blowing at full speed, how can I remove this and get things back to normal.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Just installed this on on my Mac Pro and I cannot stop the fans blowing at full speed, how can I remove this and things back to normal.

Before you remove it.

Go to system preference -> Fan Control

And insert all field once (including any slide bar).

As in post #159 stated, this "no initial parameter" is a known issue.

Once you do that, the fan speed should back to normal. Then you can take your time to uninstall it.

The uninstallation procedure link is in post #155.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Before you remove it.

Go to system preference -> Fan Control

And insert all field once (including any slide bar).

As in post #159 stated, this "no initial parameter" is a known issue.

Once you do that, the fan speed should back to normal. Then you can take your time to uninstall it.

The uninstallation procedure link is in post #155.

Thanks all sorted, I did an SMC reset as well.

Denis Ahrens

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
Hi

I again updated the Fan Control to adapt to the mojave dark mode and refactor some deprecated code.

Please notice that this is not the version from user h9826790.

Denis

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-11-04 at 21.46.15.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-04 at 21.46.15.png
    164.9 KB · Views: 238
  • Classic Fan Control Nov 2018.zip
    96.4 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Reactions: fralex and h9826790

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
@h9826790 any chance we could get an updated version of you version with dark mode? Just thought I’d ask since you’re also on Mojave.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
@h9826790 any chance we could get an updated version of you version with dark mode? Just thought I’d ask since you’re also on Mojave.

TBH, I know nothing about Xcode, I only know how to open up some other's finished code, analysis it, and mod it.

I can take some time to search, study, and try. But no guarantee can make that happen.

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
TBH, I know nothing about Xcode, I only know how to open up some other's finished code, analysis it, and mod it.

I can take some time to search, study, and try. But no guarantee can make that happen.

No worries. Just thought I’d ask. Very much appreciate your time. Thanks again.

fralex

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2018
Hi

I again updated the Fan Control to adapt to the mojave dark mode and refactor some deprecated code.

Please notice that this is not the version from user h9826790.

Denis

Hi Denis,

I only get temps and fan speed of CPU A but not CPU B.
iStat Menu has both available.

Am I missing something?

Thx

EDIT:
Rule Nr. 1 in the support handbook worked wonders. Restart.

Last edited:

Denis Ahrens

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
Hi

I have a new version which has a lot less idle wakeups. It only checks the temps and fans every two seconds instead of one second) and only writes new values if there is an actual change.

Denis

Attachments

• Classic Fan Control Nov 2018.zip
    96.6 KB · Views: 259
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.