Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emen Mali

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
If there's something specific I should look for in that article I'd appreciate where you'd want me to look, but since I followed his directions (snipping of the heatsink connectors and making sure they are plugged in - along with the thermal pad over the tempature) I can't think of why CPU A doesn't show up in any of the sensor apps, however it is working correctly.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
If there's something specific I should look for in that article I'd appreciate where you'd want me to look, but since I followed his directions (snipping of the heatsink connectors and making sure they are plugged in - along with the thermal pad over the tempature) I can't think of why CPU A doesn't show up in any of the sensor apps, however it is working correctly.

Are you using a guide to update the CPU? If you simple change the CPU, the chance is high that you have damaged you CPU board. Some things have to be considered on a Mac Pro 2009, because you change a CPU with no Heatspreader against one with Heatspreader.

c1f98cd4d02b.jpg

445213055cb1.jpg

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2800/upgrading-and-analyzing-apple-s-nehalem-mac-pro/11

Emen Mali

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
I understand, but after pulling out the board and removing the heatsink and double checking the socket, there were no pins bent. reinserting the CPU and heatsink, everything is working as it should minus the FAN.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
I understand, but after pulling out the board and removing the heatsink and double checking the socket, there were no pins bent. reinserting the CPU and heatsink, everything is working as it should minus the FAN.

The Problem: The new CPU with Heatspreader is 2 mm higher. In some cases the connector don't get contact to the board.

In the guides you see what to do to get connection.

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
There are so many PC versions of the Sapphire 7950 - look at the drop down, it's crazy! I am lost in the options, and that's before you get into the 7970 or the modern R9 280x etc...

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
It´s nice with all the options. Sadly, I don´t feel confident with the 6 > 8 pin adapter with the R9 280X, which otherwise would be the obvious solution going the AMD-way.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
UPDATE

Okay, it's happening again... My Mac Pro sometimes ramps up its fans in a very annoying way - Now while gaming. I am trying to play through Deus EX.
The HD-4870 runs very hot, especially, when you are gaming. Have you monitored the temperatures inside the case?

The location of the Mac Pro might prevent sufficient air flow to keep it cool enough.

The HD-5770 is similar in performance, but dissipates much less energy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.