Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeDavies99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Hey all,
I have a Mac Pro A1289. My DVD writer is getting errors on write.
What replacement DVD writers can I use or am I stuck with
the Apple Part?
Thanks
Mike

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Any standard optical drive should work. Some optical drives will spin randomly to search for a disc. This is a firmware issue. It doesn't affect compatibility, it's just annoying. I had a drive that did this and just kept a disc inside to stop the random spin ups.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I put in a BluRay burner (Pioneer BDR-209EBK). It was often reluctant to eject its tray (using the icon in the menu bar). After updating it to the latest firmware from Pioneer, it is fine.

Surprisingly, Finder natively supports burning data (files/folders) to BluRays.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
I put in a BluRay burner (Pioneer BDR-209EBK). It was often reluctant to eject its tray (using the icon in the menu bar). After updating it to the latest firmware from Pioneer, it is fine.

Surprisingly, Finder natively supports burning data (files/folders) to BluRays.

I use a Pioneer drive too, works fine :) use it to rip BluRays and DVDs etc.

Roxio Toast and other software can actually burn watchable BluRays in OS X and have been able to for some time. OS X just can't play them back.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Any standard optical drive should work
Any standard optical drive should work provided it has an SATA interface. The older P-ATA interface models that are used in Mac Pro 3,1 & earlier are still available so be sure to buy the correct model.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Hey all,
I have a Mac Pro A1289. My DVD writer is getting errors on write.
What replacement DVD writers can I use or am I stuck with
the Apple Part?

Almost any SATA optical drive will work, including DVD and Blu-Ray drives. Just make sure it is tray-loading (not slot loading), SATA, and looks normal (no exotic layout). Before you install it, you have to pop the front bezel off of the tray in order to be compatible with the Mac Pro drive doors.

Personally, I added an LG blu-ray drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.