Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
i will too. if your listening, Apple, there are 2 people who want it at least. please.
Not to brag but our year-end is end of March.
Whatever I buy has to be delivered no later than March 1st or Im dead meat here.
We're in the process of upgrading a dozen :p
I dont mind buying last years model but if I can avoid it :)

PBLRDom

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2011
I've had 6k in the bank ready to go for the new machine the day it drops for the last 8 months!

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Seems like forever . . . . . . . .

March release means:

3.5 years since the architecture launch
3 years since the Xeons first came
2 years since the last release
18 months since Apple updated them

Compared to Apple and Intel's past releases it is a very long time.

Last edited:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
We are looking at March now. It looks like SAS made it back onto the PCH as well.

That would be a seriously bonehead move by Intel. First, not all of the Romley chipsets support SAS. Apple (and anyone else primarily targeting workstations) is highly likely to use the C600-A (which doesn't have the SAS feature turned on). That's going to be a big blow to the Mac Pro to sit on the sidelines for 2 more months for absolutely zero benefit. Unless, the bug trickles back into SATA (like last Spring http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/28/intel_xeon_e5_sas_bug/ ), it does really make alot of sense. Smacks of an over reaction to having gotten burnt to the tune of several $100M on bug from last Spring.

They have already done a "defacto" rolling launch by shipping them in bulk to the SuperComputer vendors. Rolling the C600-A out in late January or early February would make more sense than blocking it all until an marketing event like CeBit. I can see holding back the super conservative server boards till then for a 'dog and pony' show, but it is going to be hard for them to keep all the vendors chained down with artificial delays.

I wouldn't be surprised at all for Apple to bolt out of the gate early with "pre launch" supplies of the parts. They aren't going to patiently wait for a Cebit dog and pony show. The only reason perhaps to hold off till March would be to announce an new E3 based model along side the E5's to tackle the "lower than $2,500 but higher than $1,800" price point. Since the Ivy E3's are due around April, they could announce shipping later with about a month lead time.

handygeek

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
I've been following this trend for a few years now. DVD Studio Pro died even over the last couple of FC Studio upgrades. Soundtrack Pro died with FCPX. Before that, the big infrastructure pieces began to die: XServe Raid, XServe, Final Cut Server. I would love to see an upgrade to Mac Pros soon since we have yet to purchase Windows Workstations to connect with XSAN and we need to add more editing (Final Cut Studio 3) stations very soon. A friend posted a video blog entry that sums up the problem pretty well from our, video editing, perspective.

http://www.careydissmore.com/2012/0...o-post-and-why-thunderbolt-is-not-the-answer/

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
I've been following this trend for a few years now. DVD Studio Pro died even over the last couple of FC Studio upgrades. Soundtrack Pro died with FCPX. Before that, the big infrastructure pieces began to die: XServe Raid, XServe, Final Cut Server. I would love to see an upgrade to Mac Pros soon since we have yet to purchase Windows Workstations to connect with XSAN and we need to add more editing (Final Cut Studio 3) stations very soon. A friend posted a video blog entry that sums up the problem pretty well from our, video editing, perspective.

http://www.careydissmore.com/2012/0...o-post-and-why-thunderbolt-is-not-the-answer/

Great video - it really sums up beautifully the importance of the Mac Pro in the video world, which I wasn't as informed about, though I could tell you about the equal importance the Mac Pro has in the music world. To say that any other Mac could fill that need is laughable. The fact is that those who say "who needs a Mac Pro?" are just demonstrating their ignorance.

But you know who else needs Mac Pros? Apple. I bet there are a ton of pro users there who depend on Mac Pros. That's why I don't think the Mac Pro is going away any time soon. Rather, I think there will be these long pauses between refreshes that will get our angst up, but Apple will likely keep them coming.

Music studios, video production companies, and Apple are creative ventures and creators still need pro machines. Consumers have been good to Apple, but the public is fickle. I just don't see Apple turning their back on the core industries that kept them going through their leanest years.

handygeek

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
I just don't see Apple turning their back on the core industries that kept them going through their leanest years.

For all our sakes, I hope you're right. Mac Pros are also a high profit margin product - so, there's that too.

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
Another one who'll be getting a new Mac Pro as soon as it appears - I have a long-term understanding with my biggest client that as soon as it comes out, I'll be getting one, to my spec! They bought me my current MP - 2008 8-core, so they're as good as their word. So long as it's as quiet and as bomb-proof as my current MP, I'll be happy. Very happy... now, what to do with the old one!

And if they don't update it? I can see that the one I have still has a lot of life left in it, so if the news came that that was it, no more MP, I'd just get a maxed out current model, and be happy for the next 5+ years.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Great video - it really sums up beautifully the importance of the Mac Pro in the video world, which I wasn't as informed about, though I could tell you about the equal importance the Mac Pro has in the music world. To say that any other Mac could fill that need is laughable. The fact is that those who say "who needs a Mac Pro?" are just demonstrating their ignorance.

But you know who else needs Mac Pros? Apple. I bet there are a ton of pro users there who depend on Mac Pros. That's why I don't think the Mac Pro is going away any time soon. Rather, I think there will be these long pauses between refreshes that will get our angst up, but Apple will likely keep them coming.

Music studios, video production companies, and Apple are creative ventures and creators still need pro machines. Consumers have been good to Apple, but the public is fickle. I just don't see Apple turning their back on the core industries that kept them going through their leanest years.

Exactly right, who needs them? ;) The Mac Pros are the machines that just work - rugged, robust machines that get the job done fast.

Yesterday, I had to do some photo processing on a Win 7 Enterprise machine (a Lenovo) powered by a Xeon processor. It was a well specced machine, but my Mac Pro just leaves it behind for real world performance.

I've also done photo processing on the iMac 27", it's just not the same - they just don't cope with a hundred or more large files quickly. That's why I love the Mac Pro, it is fast, it saves time. I can use other machines for little jobs, but for heavy duty tasks - it's back to the big silver tower.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
That would be a seriously bonehead move by Intel. First, not all of the Romley chipsets support SAS. Apple (and anyone else primarily targeting workstations) is highly likely to use the C600-A (which doesn't have the SAS feature turned on). That's going to be a big blow to the Mac Pro to sit on the sidelines for 2 more months for absolutely zero benefit. Unless, the bug trickles back into SATA (like last Spring http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/28/intel_xeon_e5_sas_bug/ ), it does really make alot of sense. Smacks of an over reaction to having gotten burnt to the tune of several $100M on bug from last Spring.

They have already done a "defacto" rolling launch by shipping them in bulk to the SuperComputer vendors. Rolling the C600-A out in late January or early February would make more sense than blocking it all until an marketing event like CeBit. I can see holding back the super conservative server boards till then for a 'dog and pony' show, but it is going to be hard for them to keep all the vendors chained down with artificial delays.

I wouldn't be surprised at all for Apple to bolt out of the gate early with "pre launch" supplies of the parts. They aren't going to patiently wait for a Cebit dog and pony show. The only reason perhaps to hold off till March would be to announce an new E3 based model along side the E5's to tackle the "lower than $2,500 but higher than $1,800" price point. Since the Ivy E3's are due around April, they could announce shipping later with about a month lead time.
From out of nowhere ECS enables SAS support on X79. Though it is labeled as unreliable.

dasystem

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
Cheap

This is a pathetic way to do business on Apple's end. I have been an apple supporter since Quadras were still pumping out quark files. They simply abandoned their loyal users with no info. Atleast let us know whats up so we can plan out our next purchase. This is the first time I have ever considered looking into purchasing another brand. Even if they do release a new mac pro they have lost my interest. Yes the iToys are cool but mac pros help us pay the rent. Maserati prices at pinto customer service. I used to be one of those "I don't care its a mac!" people. They've revealed themselves.

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
It seems to me that Apple is doing everything it can possibly do to stop people buying the current model. Eg not phasing out the base model or reducing the price, Putting thunderbolt in everything right down to the mac mini, making the iMacs faster (and definitely much better cost/performance ratio). Even if there are no new processors available and they don't want to lower the price then they should drop the Nehalem model and shift the prices along the range, and they should have done it by last Autumn at the latest.

Seems stupid saying they're questioning the future of the mac pro when it's partly Apples fault if nobody is buying them.

Their current range at their current price, having had no upgrade since July 2010, and even then the 2009/2010 models weren't good value compared to the 2008 models, would only be purchased by someone who has no choice or isn't very familiar with the products.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
...and even then the 2009/2010 models weren't good value compared to the 2008 models

True that the pricing got much worse, but the 2009 model was a big improvement with the addition of hyperthreading. Even though they were still labeled as 4/8 core machines, with software that took advantage of all the cores there was a big performance boost.

Otherwise I agree with the rest of your post.

baynoise

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
running out of time

I really really hope they release a new MP soon. I work 90% inhouse for various studios in NYC but that 10% I am at home I really wish I had a new MP. I am at the point where I need to purchase a computer soon. What should I do?

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
I really really hope they release a new MP soon. I work 90% inhouse for various studios in NYC but that 10% I am at home I really wish I had a new MP. I am at the point where I need to purchase a computer soon. What should I do?

I think it's worth waiting a month or two if you can. If you can't wait, then get what you need now, but obviously the value is always much better earlier in the product cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.