Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
I can no longer start Mac by pressing the power button.

I am using a Mac Pro 2009 (OpenCore+macOS12).I tried to change video card from RX580 4GB to RX570 8GB. Immediately I tried to install it. But I could not push it in about 10mm left against the slot. I successfully inserted it and tried to boot Mac, but it would not turn on.

The Mac began to energize when I pressed the power button and immediately turned off. I then did an SMC reset and the power would continue to energize without powering down. The white LED above the power button is not lit at this time. I also pressed the reset switch on the logic board, but still could not remedy the problem.

I have removed all memory, SSD/HDD, PCI cards, etc., but that didn't help either. I changed the video card to a GT120 and still could not boot. The display shows a guide with the expression "Please check the connection" instead of "Please connect the cable.

Where are the factors preventing Mac from starting up?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I can no longer start Mac by pressing the power button.

I am using a Mac Pro 2009 (OpenCore+macOS12).I tried to change video card from RX580 4GB to RX570 8GB. Immediately I tried to install it. But I could not push it in about 10mm left against the slot. I successfully inserted it and tried to boot Mac, but it would not turn on.

The Mac began to energize when I pressed the power button and immediately turned off. I then did an SMC reset and the power would continue to energize without powering down. The white LED above the power button is not lit at this time. I also pressed the reset switch on the logic board, but still could not remedy the problem.

I have removed all memory, SSD/HDD, PCI cards, etc., but that didn't help either. I changed the video card to a GT120 and still could not boot. The display shows a guide with the expression "Please check the connection" instead of "Please connect the cable.

Where are the factors preventing Mac from starting up?

1. Dead PSU
2. Shorted logicboard (because you messed up with the PCIe slots)
3. Dirty power-button
4. ...

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
1. Dead PSU
2. Shorted logicboard (because you messed up with the PCIe slots)
3. Dirty power-button
4. ...
After the used logic board was sold, I bought it. I am looking forward to seeing the results.
Slot corruption seems to make a difference. I changed slots to insert the video card, but it would not boot in any slot I could insert it in.
I have never experienced any symptoms due to typical power failure. Could a new video card have caused the fatal injury? I thought the RX570 was lower power than the RX580. Based on that, assuming I don't replace the power supply, should I not use this RX570?

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
Look up RTC Reset, that's a good, easy first check if there's boot issues.
Where is the RTC reset button on the Mac Pro?
I have two buttons inside the Mac that I press. That is the switch behind the power button and the button near the internal coin cell battery.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Where is the RTC reset button on the Mac Pro?
I have two buttons inside the Mac that I press. That is the switch behind the power button and the button near the internal coin cell battery.
The tiny press button near the battery is the one. If you don't have it already, the 2009 mac Pro technician's guide is an essential resource:

You'll find the reset procedure in there.

Reactions: bmoraski

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
At the end of the day, the two red LEDs on the daughter board were lit. I have tried swapping the CPUs A and B and back to the original CPUs, but the red LEDs would not go away. Of course I have also tried replacing the memory itself. Does the red LED on the daughterboard light up due to lack of power?

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
The most common reason you get red LED light up is bad CPU, or bent pins, which can be very hard to see. I doubt very much you have 4 duff CPU's . Inspect the pins with a high power magnifying glass and check closely. what does it say in the guide about the 2 red LED's being on?

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
I replaced it with the logic board I obtained. Then the white LED on the front of the Mac lit up. No startup sound is heard. But apparently this procedure was a failure.
When I turned on the Mac, the entire fan spun at full high speed. And the red LED behind the power button on the front is always on. It continues to light up for a while even after unplugging the power cord. Both red LEDs by the CPU on the daughterboard are also lit. And no video is shown no matter which video card is installed.

Last edited:

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
I then borrowed a daughterboard from an acquaintance and verified that the CPU and memory were not dead. So it seems that the daughterboard itself is broken. I could only replace the Northbridge heatsink with another one, but that did not revive it.
At first I only replaced the video card. That destroyed the daughterboard. What part of the daughterboard is broken?

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
I wrote incorrectly in my last post. The daughterboard was alive; the CPU (X5675) seems to be having some problems. I had bought all the parts I needed. I have tried to get an X5670 or a new X5675 to boot, but cannot boot. No boot sound. When I switch to the E5520 it boots and shows the desktop. I have two daughter boards and two main logic boards, both behave the same. None of the red LEDs on the board are lit.
And I have also verified power supply, memory and video card replacement. The logic board is definitely 5.1. The startup OS is High Sierra for testing.
What could be the cause of this?

Then it is weird again.
I started the Mac while holding down the Option key and the X5675 would sound the startup sound and show the startup progress bar.
But in High Sierra, Mojave, and Monterey, the progress bar is around 1/4 or 1/3 of the way through, and I get a forced restart. And the same thing happens when booting from a USB stick.

Last edited:

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
I change to my other daughterboard and the behavior is the same. I have multiple X5675s. I have no diagnostic LED lights on with any of them.
I have updated the logic board firmware to 5.1. I check that in the system profiler.
The X5675 will not boot the Mac. I feel it is similar to the firmware being left at 4.1. Are there several variations of 5.1?

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Please use the Apple Syntax
There is a backplane (the large board what has the PCI Slots)
The CPU Board (this is the replaceable board what carries one or two CPUs and Ram)

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Please use the Apple Syntax
There is a backplane (the large board what has the PCI Slots)
The CPU Board (this is the replaceable board what carries one or two CPUs and Ram)

LOL, when I'm correcting someone, I also usually do mistakes, seems the same also happens with you. ;)

Backplane and CPU tray are the correct denominations.

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
I would say the "logic board" is the backplane and the "daughter board" is the CPU tray.

Could it be that when the firmware is upgraded to 5.1, the backplane and CPU tray are linked and the combination is fixed?
I am attempting to downgrade to 4.1 once, but apparently that is not possible. When I go through the normal firmware update procedure, I get a momentary firmware update progress bar and the Mac immediately reboots.
My downgrade procedure is on El Capitan. I downloaded the firmware tool from GitHub with patched data. I do not have the tool that was distributed on the netkas forum. Would it have made a difference as well?
What is it?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I would say the "logic board" is the backplane and the "daughter board" is the CPU tray.

Could it be that when the firmware is upgraded to 5.1, the backplane and CPU tray are linked and the combination is fixed?
Nope, CPU trays doesn't have BootROMs.
I am attempting to downgrade to 4.1 once, but apparently that is not possible.
Not possible.
When I go through the normal firmware update procedure, I get a momentary firmware update progress bar and the Mac immediately reboots.
My downgrade procedure is on El Capitan. I downloaded the firmware tool from GitHub with patched data. I do not have the tool that was distributed on the netkas forum. Would it have made a difference as well?
What is it?
No, you are wasting your time and risking briking your Mac Pro.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
LOL, when I'm correcting someone, I also usually do mistakes, seems the same also happens with you. ;)

Backplane and CPU tray are the correct denominations.

well seems we're both not too accurate, Apple calls it _processor board_ ;-) ;-)

Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 15.12.04.png

Reactions: tsialex

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Yes, but Processor Board is just the bare PCB, while the whole assembly is called CPU tray. Apple use it to differentiate when you are ordering, back then you could order the whole assembly (CPU tray) or just the PCB (Processor Board). Even the tray itself have a more precise denomination, Processor Tray Support Plate. :p

Btw, back then you could also order just the aluminium tray itself (Processor Tray Support Plate).

• Wow
Reactions: MacHeritage

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Could it be that when the firmware is upgraded to 5.1, the backplane and CPU tray are linked and the combination is fixed

Also, there is no marriage between the CPU tray and the backplane. CPU tray is completely dumb, everything firmware wise (except for the SMC microcontroller) is located on the backplane itself.

You can install any type of early-2009 CPU tray (Single/Dual) to an early-2009 Mac Pro. You just have to always follow the matching SMC rule (1.39f5 for both CPU tray and backplane) and if you are installing a Westmere Xeon, the backplane is required to be cross-flashed to a MP5,1 BootROM.

I am attempting to downgrade to 4.1 once, but apparently that is not possible. When I go through the normal firmware update procedure, I get a momentary firmware update progress bar and the Mac immediately reboots.
What is it?

If you downgrade to a MP4,1 firmware, you will loose Westmere Xeons support, Westmere Xeons are only supported with MP5,1 firmware series.

So, won't solve whatever problem you have.

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
I was checking my components. I have 2 X5670 and 4 X5675 in CPUs. I verified each CPU one by one in the single processor tray. Then I found out a startling fact. Except for one X5675, all of the CPUs had a red LED on and could not boot the Mac. That one X5675 also could not boot the Mac with no red LED on, but no boot sound.
Can the X567x CPU be used alone? Or is it a problem caused by heat conductivity due to the removal of the heatspreader?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I was checking my components. I have 2 X5670 and 4 X5675 in CPUs. I verified each CPU one by one in the single processor tray. Then I found out a startling fact. Except for one X5675, all of the CPUs had a red LED on and could not boot the Mac. That one X5675 also could not boot the Mac with no red LED on, but no boot sound.
Can the X567x CPU be used alone? Or is it a problem caused by heat conductivity due to the removal of the heatspreader?

Are you sure that the CPU sockets on the logicboard are still good? Not damaged from many time installing and removing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.