Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
Tampa, FL
So, assuming that Apple decides to change the name of the PowerMac to "Mac Pro," don't you think they'd want to ditch the massive wind-tunnel case they're using today? They've already made the point with the PowerBook, iMac, and Mini that "it's still the same Apple." But I think on the PowerMac they'd jump at any opportunity to re-design.

Particularly to reduce the sheer quantity of Aluminum they have to source for the current case. It would still have aluminum, of course, but significantly less. And the handles could use a redesign. I wouldn't mind seeing the recessed handle design of the iPod Hi-Fi show up on the top of a Mac Pro. The exterior of the handle could be aluminum, and the interior grip a ballistic plastic. What do you think? Anybody wanna make a mockup of this?

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
iGary said:
Don't see this happening until after the Intel switch.

I agree. I'm pretty sure they'll want to stick with "it's still the same Mac" line, just to keep the transition as smooth as possible. In a year or so, once all the entire lineup has moved to Intel , I expect we'll begin to see some major design changes to all of the machines.

ever said:
And the handles could use a redesign. I wouldn't mind seeing the recessed handle design of the iPod Hi-Fi show up on the top of a Mac Pro.

Sorry, I don't like the sound of this. I think it would look a bit odd, not to mention the PM would lose it's spoiler-like handles.

ever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
Tampa, FL
max_altitude said:
I agree. I'm pretty sure they'll want to stick with "it's still the same Mac" line, just to keep the transition as smooth as possible.

But we already had the developer machines with Intels stuck in them. That's boring. PowerMac users don't need such a superficial assurance as a consistent case design in this transition. PowerMac is all about being on the bleeding edge of Apple technology, so we want that to reflect inside the machine and out, if only for bragging rights. I think it would be a major let down if they didn't even try to push the envelope a bit more on Mac Pro. :(

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
ever said:
But we already had the developer machines with Intels stuck in them. That's boring.

Mmm. But it is also a very good way to reduce risks and costs while making the design/development cycle as short as possible. I agree with others, the Mid-2006 Mac Pro will use the same case.

However, It may be that once the transition is done, Apple will start from the other end of the list - the Mac Pro could be the first Intel Mac to get to rev.B.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
They would re-design the ACD's too then. Perhaps give them 4 ms, larger contrast and more light. Perhaps make the 20" capable of 1080p video. They seem to have changed the ACD's with every new PowerMac. But I don't hope it will be MacPro. PowerMac is cooler!:cool:

JonnyMac

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2006
Josias said:
They would re-design the ACD's too then. Perhaps give them 4 ms, larger contrast and more light. Perhaps make the 20" capable of 1080p video. They seem to have changed the ACD's with every new PowerMac. But I don't hope it will be MacPro. PowerMac is cooler!:cool:

I think they might re-design it, though not drastically. The PowerMac's are huge. Bigger than the G4 PowerMacs and arguably with less in the inside. The big fans/heat sinks the for the G5 were the main reason for the size. I wouldn't mind them keeping a similar design but making the case size on par with the Power Mac G4's.

If you recall, they didn't update the the ACD for a good while after the G5's were intro'd.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Josias said:
They seem to have changed the ACD's with every new PowerMac.

Duh...it's so that they match! Everybody knows that Steve is a fashion fanatic!:p

I wouldn't mind a new design, but I still like the current one. I don't know about the recessed handles, though. Wouldn't they take up space in the tower?

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
WildCowboy said:
I'll be a huge fan...oh, wait...never mind. ;)

After I posted I even though someone was going to say that...hehe

Would be a great machine though :cool:

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
As far as redesigns go, im kind of disapoined Apple hasn't redesigned ANYTHING yet for the Intel Macs. The MacBooks ABSOLUTELY need a redesign, at least with a widescreen and loss of the ugly white. As far the Mac Pros go however, I'm not sure we'll see anything right now. The Aluminum cases are very sleek and sexy still, even if they have been used a while.

Professionals that are going to buy MP's are people that don't really care as much about asthetics if it means more raw power and capability. That being said, it seems doubtful Apple will end the good thing they have going right now, possibility a year after the Mac Pros are switch then we may see a redesigned MP along with new ACDs.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i think we'll see a redesign. because the reason for the G5 PowerMacs taking on the form that they have is because of the need to dissipate heat. with the switch to Intel i can easily see them changing the enclousure.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
Like these?

power_mac_g5_cube.jpg

I made this one below in three minutes, it's kinda gross.
But dwellable. (<word?)

10_fast.jpg

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
ever said:
But we already had the developer machines with Intels stuck in them. That's boring.
Not all of us. Just some developers .... I have never even seen a picture of a Intel dev machine.

Oh, and nice mockups, _bnkr612 ... I like the top one best! That would be cool for about ~1200 for a prosumer machine in the iMac's price range ... I'm sure people who want power, but no integrated display would buy them like hotcakes.... and Jobs could have another crack at his beloved Cube ;)

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
Since the Intel chips are going to run cooler, the cases won't need to be as large. Look forward to a smaller form factor. It would be awesome if they went with the same design, only smaller and lighter. And instead of silver case, have it be gun-metal grey with silver or black apple logo. The ACD would have a smaller bevel and be gun-metal grey as well. :)

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
THX1139 said:
Since the Intel chips are going to run cooler, the cases won't need to be as large. Look forward to a smaller form factor. It would be awesome if they went with the same design, only smaller and lighter. And instead of silver case, have it be gun-metal grey with silver or black apple logo. The ACD would have a smaller bevel and be gun-metal grey as well. :)

Why make it smaller, just give it bigger heat sinks so the fans can run slower = less noise, add a HDD bay, give it SLi graphics and 4 CPU's ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.