Mac Pro/Computer Games

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applemacman, Jan 28, 2008.

1. macrumors member

applemacman

So I am about to buy a shiny new mac pro in a few months but need some help with a few issues.

I am wanting to install windows with bootcamp to play games. Which version of windows should I buy. With so many versions out there which would be the best for games. XP is what I am thinking would be my best bet but exactly which one should I get?

I am thinking I am going to get the 2.8 quad with the standard graphics card. I can't justify spending another $140 for the NVIDIA because I don't think I would notice a difference being new to computer games. Will most games support both graphics cards?

Also when I go to buy games, given my eventually configuration (2.8quad, ATI, lods of RAM), what system requirements should I play close attention to. For instance as long as it says INTEL I should be fine right? ....or as long as it says ATI I should be fine? because the games are older than the processors and graphics cards they will not be on the back so does my logic/theory work when looking at the requirements?

Thanks

2. macrumors 68030

If you're really going to be into gaming, you should get the nvidia. For newer games, you will really notice a difference. XP will be fine, just make sure it's SP2. What are your reasons for getting a Mac Pro? If it's specifically to game, you'd probably be better off just building a PC.

3. thread starter macrumors member

applemacman

There are other reasons, Gaming is not one of the primary reasons or a huge issue but I am about to sell my 360 and would like to have a few games to fill the void every now and then. I am in college and have a job now so I don't really have time to play the 360 but would like the option to kick back and play evry once in awhile so I thought computer games on the pro would suffice.

4. macrumors 6502

Get the 8800 GT. Trust me. Its an incredible card and has faired well even playing Crysis. In fact its the most recommended card for that game for people on a budget. If it can handle that game well, then it can handle anything.

5. macrumors regular

-Noodles

definitely go for the 8800 nvidia as you'll see better performance and get a longer life from it. also I'd recommend you go with vista ultimate 32-bit for your os as you'll eventually want to play directx 10 games that will only be supported by vista. i would suggest however that you pick vista up from your campus bookstore as it's likely to be around $100 for ultimate as compared to the 300+ you'll pay in ordering it online.

also remember to order your computer through the apple education store online for the discount.

good luck :p

6. thread starter macrumors member

applemacman

My campus book store does not have Vista it has XP Professional w/SP2 for $92. It is odd that they do not have vista but yet they have Microsoft Office 08 in the store and it just came out.

...also I am actually going to use my ADC discount for the Mac Pro

7. macrumors 68030

That's kind of expensive and unfortunate. I was able to get XP and Vista 32 and 64 bit editions from my campus.