Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i very highly doubt there is any way of having a small, 8 core machine with no fans.

A small machine with no fans; yep
A small 8 core machine; it wouldn't last long
An oct-core fan-less machine; it'd be damn big.

it would be nice, but so would an Aston Martin DB9 which doesn't ever run out of fuel.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
The ultimate camping accesory!

Think different: a super computer and a stove at the same time!

"And while i have been showing you demos of the new cube, I have also been keeping my coffee warm!" "woo"

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
I don't understand why people want pro cubes. Do people want to transport them somewhere? I assume most people have their Mac Pros driving large monitors, so the size issue seems somewhat odd to me. I can understand slightly smaller (perhaps slimmer), but the size never bothers me.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I don't understand why people want pro cubes. Do people want to transport them somewhere? I assume most people have their Mac Pros driving large monitors, so the size issue seems somewhat odd to me. I can understand slightly smaller (perhaps slimmer), but the size never bothers me.

I think it just has to do with the wow factor really. I mean the g4 cubes with the old plastic cinema displays looked pretty damned slick!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i would love to see a new cube.....and we know that Steve likes the cubes....but i doubt it will happen, and if it did, it'd have fans (even though Steve doesn't like fans either)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
i would love to see a new cube.....and we know that Steve likes the cubes....but i doubt it will happen, and if it did, it'd have fans (even though Steve doesn't like fans either)

Apple could probably build a fanless cube with mini internals. The low energy use drives cut down on heat, the integrated GPU makes little heat, the external PSU helps a ton. They might have to switch to a slower, ultra low voltage CPU core, though. But in a larger case like the cube there would be room for larger heatsinks and some more airflow, so it'd likely work.

It'd be a cool machine, though. Likely expensive, and more of a novelty than an improvement on anything they are selling now...

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I Love the idea of a cube, but i don't see it coming out any time soon. I do think Apple still needs a Mid-range tower/cube. I just hope that if they ever decide to make a revision of the G4 Cube, that they do it using the same kind of hardware [full-sized HD, upgradeable Video card, etc.]

nxent

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2004
seattle
it's a novel idea,, but even if they did release the cube again, it'd run into the same problems as it's predecessor- spending so much for a machine that doesn't come with a monitor. tho it would be fun to try to build one... and watch it catch fire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.