Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Right now I have a Mac Pro 2009, 8-core 2.26Ghz.
This machines almost equals the Geekbench score of the new 2013 quad core model.

Afaik Lightroom and Aperture only use CPU power, so here is the question: Will there be a big performance difference between the two models?

When I got my 6-core nMP around this time last year, I compared it to my 2009 Mac Pro Quad Core at photo tasks among other things...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1692536/

Also, I wouldn't rule out Apple's Photo app. Based on the screen shots they showed at the announcement, it looks just as capable as Aperture. I wouldn't switch until you've at least seen reviews of Photos.

DenBeke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Antwerp
When I got my 6-core nMP around this time last year, I compared it to my 2009 Mac Pro Quad Core at photo tasks among other things...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1692536/

Also, I wouldn't rule out Apple's Photo app. Based on the screen shots they showed at the announcement, it looks just as capable as Aperture. I wouldn't switch until you've at least seen reviews of Photos.

I'll surely wait for the Photos app...

Very nice review of the nMP! (I had even commented on it before :p)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
They seem to be the same Samsung M.2 PCIe 2.0 x4 drives.

Yesterday HP sent me a z820 loaner - that happens to have the 256GB version of the PCIe drive.

It identifies as a "Samsung MZHPU256HCGL-000H1".

Read speed is 1.5 GB/sec, write speed 900 MB/sec. (1 MiB IO through "dd")

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Right now I have a Mac Pro 2009, 8-core 2.26Ghz.
This machines almost equals the Geekbench score of the new 2013 quad core model.

Afaik Lightroom and Aperture only use CPU power, so here is the question: Will there be a big performance difference between the two models?

If you can get an opportunity to try out Adobe Lightroom/Aperture on the new Mac Pro would be a good "guide". I edit raw images using Photoshop and Lightroom on various Macs both on the classic Mac Pro and new Mac Pro. I didn't see a huge speed difference between the new Mac Pro and classic Mac Pro in using Lightroom. I've used 2009 8 core 2.93ghz, 8 core 2.66ghz, 2010 12 core 2.93ghz and 3.33ghz 6 cores Mac Pro. The new Mac Pro I've used is the 8 core 3.0ghz from a client's office. All are fast machines. Probably the costs in relation to speed gains may be a deciding factor. I don't use Aperture so I can't comment on that. Some softwares also are not yet optimised to use 2 GPUs at the same time for now so the second GPU in the new Mac Pro will be idle. http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/01/14/how-could-a-mac-pro-be-slower-than-an-imac/ Though I check benchmarks, lab tests, actual real time usage of the machine would be a big help.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I am going to be the voice of dissention. If you are only using Adobe LR & PS CC, why don't you do a maxed out 5k iMac? I use Aperture and PS, yes, I am going to eventually move to LR, but it is the ideal photo computer/monitor system. If you are working on 4K video, and a lot of it, that would be a different story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.