Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
These are suitable ones:

What I did was modify them a bit and use the existing OEM springs. I also put a small washer at the top so the original spring couldn’t come off (diameter at the top slightly less). The springs that come with these replacement spring clips are not as strong so the NB heat sink can move easily. The original spring is better.

The little plastic shroud around the middle of it can be cut away. The top bit needs to be trimmed shorter as well so it fits under the CPU heatsink.

Use Arctic Silver 5. Doing this and also modify the fan speed settings on Macs Fan Control keeps the NB temperature around 64°C and fan noise is reasonably low on my MP5,1 which is maxxed out in the specifications.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReallyLongLogin

kmax3991

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2021
So....

I did all the "repasting", CPUs and Northbridge, but it runs still quite high. Furtunately I have no probs with system stability (in Win at least) but the temperature of the NB Diode still goes up to over 70 degrees Celcius (see picture)
I used the same paste and method on the CPUs and the NB-Chip, so if something was wrong with it, it would show in the CPU temps I think.
I also had the springs of the NB-heatspreader replaced.
What else could be the problem with that?

Greets
kmax

cMP 4,1->5,1; Dual-CPU X5690;96GB RAM;1TB NVMe-SSD (Win10;PCIe);2TB SSD (MacOSX Monterey;PCIe)

Attachments

• Temps.jpg
    Temps.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 67
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.