Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
Software is 90% of a computer

I don't see your point. What professional editing software is exclusive to the Mac? And please don't say Final Cut X, that's not yet a professional application. And Final Cut Pro is EOL. Premiere runs on both platforms.

Also, your 90% claim might be valid until you find yourself waiting around for your computer to render.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
Where are the specs on that site? Or am I too blind to find them? Dell's site seems easier than that site.

My bad. It was only in the news letter.
8 core AMD bulldozer @ 4.4ghz
8 gigs ram (up to 32)
128gig SSD + 3TB drive
Asus Radeon 6970
Blu Ray drive
Corsair H100 liquid cooling for CPU

----------

I don't see your point. What professional editing software is exclusive to the Mac? And please don't say Final Cut X, that's not yet a professional application. And Final Cut Pro is EOL. Premiere runs on both platforms.

Also, your 90% claim might be valid until you find yourself waiting around for your computer to render.

Totally agreed. I really feel like FCP will be going to the way side now. Going over to premiere wasa little painful at first but it's working now.

I believe that Abode smells the blood in the water and is working to improve the premiere editing suite to beat FCP.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Not having OSX is a deal breaker for me, I didn't buy the Mac Pro bc of the specs, I can get a PC with better specs for less money. I got it for OS X ! :apple:

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Not that impressed. I had a MainGear rig that was "worth" (cost my employer) $6,500. Could it edit, yeah, could it render, yeah. What a waste of money though. It was slow at editing. I'm not lying either, it just wasn't configured correctly, and I was new to editing so my recommendations for buying a rig was thrown to the way side and they trusted the "experts". Well, so much for that. Just remember, MacPro's use Xeons... server proc's not just normal, and Bulldozer in it's current form, if I'm not mistaken is strictly desktop.

Edit: PPro was pretty frustrating too. Crashed a few times a week on me. Anywho, don't believe any of that PPro accelerated encoding crap. You basically have to jump through hoops, on a night there is a full blue moon, on the 22nd of the month, at a location that is in alignment with the planets, and there is an anomaly in the stars. I think you get my point.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
It looks like some piece of DIY a teenager has knocked up. All it's missing is some neons and a case window. none of the components will be workstation grade. My mac pro has been switched on for well over half it's life and it's a 2006 1,1. There's very little chance that thing would do that.
If you're after a workstation, go buy a dell precision or A HP Z800.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Not having OSX is a deal breaker for me, I didn't buy the Mac Pro bc of the specs, I can get a PC with better specs for less money. I got it for OS X ! :apple:

This. Windows just isn't great for dealing with a ton of data at once. And before anyone starts screaming because I said that I am a Windows tech for a living. I am well aware of its capabilities, hence why I own a Mac and linux machines.

@OP, yes, impressive specs but specs are nothing without an OS to run them right.

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Have to agree with ZWhaler. Fact is I pay more for the OSX experience. I built gaming rigs for the longest time. Haven't looked back

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I built a PC earlier this year with similar specs, and it is pretty fantastic. I mostly work in Windows with AVID Media Composer and After Effects, but I'm dual-booting Lion and it performs great as well.

Oberhammer

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
" PPro was pretty frustrating too. Crashed a few times a week on me. Anywho, don't believe any of that PPro accelerated encoding crap. You basically have to jump through hoops, on a night there is a full blue moon, on the 22nd of the month, at a location that is in alignment with the planets, and there is an anomaly in the stars. I think you get my point. "

Complete BS

PPro CS5 or 5.5 is stable and works great. Is super fast and no one must jump through hoops. The Nvidia cards work great with PPro too!

Anyone who uses the software knows this!

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
" PPro was pretty frustrating too. Crashed a few times a week on me. Anywho, don't believe any of that PPro accelerated encoding crap. You basically have to jump through hoops, on a night there is a full blue moon, on the 22nd of the month, at a location that is in alignment with the planets, and there is an anomaly in the stars. I think you get my point. "

Complete BS

PPro CS5 or 5.5 is stable and works great. Is super fast and no one must jump through hoops. The Nvidia cards work great with PPro too!

Anyone who uses the software knows this!

I'm talking CS4. Of course your situation must be the one applied to all users. The NVidia cards was a bunch of bull because they advertise the world but after getting the card, you need to get another $150-200 plugin, and that only works encoding ONLY to H.264... that's it. Bunch of marketing hype if you ask me. I have CS5 personally, still hate it though, just not a fan of there upgrade ONLY every 6 months! After cs4 I'm just not impressed at all. After all said and done, the only adobe product i use is AE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.