Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
So last night during the shutdown sequence (i.e., after I initiated shutdown and before the computer powered down) my early 2008 Mac Pro (running Lion on a Vertex 2 SSD) made a prolonged squeal that sounded literally like a smoke detector going off. It was long, high pitched and VERY LOUD. In the 15 years I've been using Macs I've never heard this sound.

I had two external SATA enclosures running which I had powered off around the same time so it's possible it could have been one of those. It didn't sound like a fan motor tweaking out, it was like an "intentional" sound if that makes sense.

The windup... everything seems normal. After a few seconds, the shutdown completed and when I rebooted everything was fine and it hasn't happened since.

Any clues?

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Is it on a UPS?
Nope... just plugged into a passive power strip.

I managed to reproduce the sound repeatedly and pinpointed it to the eSATA drives.

When I eject and then power off either or both of my two eSATA drives, the squeal happens and stays squealing until I turn the drive back on.

When I turn the drive back on, the squeal stops (and surprisingly the eSATA drive remounts).

I have the eSATA drives connected to a NewerTechnologies MAXPower eSATA 6GB PCIe 2.0 Controller Card.

The solution for now seems to be to power down the Mac Pro before shutting off the eSATA drives. Weird.

Last edited:

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
OP: I managed to reproduce the sound repeatedly and pinpointed it to the eSATA drives (as the cause). The actual "generator" of the sound is still unknown.

Here's when it happens: when I eject/trash and power off either of my two eSATA drives, the squeal happens and stays squealing until I turn the drive back on.

When I turn the drive back on, the squealing tone stops and surprisingly the eSATA drive remounts. (I always thought eSATA drives were not hot swapable).

Note: I have the eSATA drives connected to a NewerTechnologies MAXPower eSATA 6GB PCIe 2.0 Controller Card. This might be the source of the actual sound.

All I have to do is power down the Mac Pro before shutting off the eSATA drives, and there are no other symptoms, but it's still a bizarre sound.

Last edited:

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
To the OP: Install the WebGUI for your HighPoint eSATA card (I guess you're using one) and turn off the alarm of the card. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.