Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Turning on the macpro the display does not recieve any video, currently connected via DVI to a 20" cinema display, I've also tried connecting to a VGA monitor and there has been no luck.

The computer it self seems to be running, I can shut it down with keyboard short cut and connect to the drives over the network.

What other checks can I do? Can the macpro still be running okay but with a faulty graphics card?

:(

It is an early 08 macpro
video card is the original one that came with the computer (cant remeber name)

hehejames

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
NYC
Turning on the macpro the display does not recieve any video, currently connected via DVI to a 20" cinema display, I've also tried connecting to a VGA monitor and there has been no luck.

The computer it self seems to be running, I can shut it down with keyboard short cut and connect to the drives over the network.

What other checks can I do? Can the macpro still be running okay but with a faulty graphics card?

It is an early 08 macpro

Your problem seem to be the monitor or your ACD cable. Try connecting to another monitor. I don't believe your MP will boot with a faulty video card.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I have connected it via VGA to a different monitor which didnt work either. Annoyingly I dont have another computer with DVI connection to test the cinema display, will have to try and borrow one tommorow.

Ive read similar problems on the apple support pages but no real solution.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Annoyingly I cant, right now I'm on my laptop which is running 10.4. Also I dont think its been enabled on the MP. I want to run the diagnositcs test on the OSX DVD but with no way of displaying it. Tomorrow I will hopefully be able to borrow someones laptop with a dvi connector to test the screen.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Okay...

Its started working again. I have a cheap VGA monitor which I was testing with and the cinema display and both turned on this time so it cant be that.

But I am worried it will happen again, I tried several times before, even after leaving the computer off and unplugged for a long time.

EDIT:
It started working so did hardware check and no trouble found.
Rebooted it and screen would not come on.
Shutdown and start again and now its fine again. Very puzzled and a bit worried. All the time I have a second monitor attached to make sure its not a problem with the cinema display as well.

Could of it been due to the recent ish updates as this has only been occurring recently. Also happens sometimes if the computer has gone to sleep.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Afraid the warranty went a while ago. It hasnt done it recently which is good, glad it wasnt the screen as thats quite expensive, just hoping now its just limited to the graphics card if there is a problem.

Yup its the ATI 2600 XT inside.

Captain Iglo

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
Afraid the warranty went a while ago. It hasnt done it recently which is good, glad it wasnt the screen as thats quite expensive, just hoping now its just limited to the graphics card if there is a problem.

Yup its the ATI 2600 XT inside.

what should we do? i'm on an old G4 now that I found with the garbage.
Mine had the same, waking up from sleep would give black screen.
Now it's definitive, yours is still working right?
Mine could be restarted and it would fix it, but not anymore.

Captain Iglo

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
Is it the graphicscard? or Isn't it?
I can't test it cus I have no other card or other MP.

Mine too boots properly up to the end, just no picture.
Could it be the VGA adapter?
But why then triggered by sleep? That I don't see happening with an adapter.

If it is the card what is or best buy, a PC card that flashes easy or injects good with netkas injector. I need not for gaming, just CS4 and little 3D.
Please help guys we are out of warenty.

GTX 260?
3870?

Captain Iglo

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
thanks for your input, I checked the 3870 out pricewise, but don't mind me saying it's a bit pricey.
If I have to I'll bite the bullet but, still give it a try to find a cheaper option.
Someting like: get this card from this url, cost 120 bucks
flash this rom from this url and your set.
(or injector but since I have no Efi capable sister card that is out the door I guess.)
Anyway thanks a lot.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
what should we do? i'm on an old G4 now that I found with the garbage.
Mine had the same, waking up from sleep would give black screen.
Now it's definitive, yours is still working right?
Mine could be restarted and it would fix it, but not anymore.

Mine took a few reboots, worked once, failed next and now working consistantly, did a full hardware check and nothing reported, cant really see any link. It cant be adaptor or cable, I tested with by VGA and DVI at the same time when I was having difficulties.

Again I dont play games just CS4 and some video work, I havnt had a need for a faster graphics card so will see how it goes on if I should replace it.

stoked1

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009

It is an early 08 macpro

Since the last security update for osx10.4 a couple of weeks ago (reminds me of all the annoying Windows patches) my G5 Power Mac has been increasingly unstable, crashing 1 or 2 times a day, worse than my old Windows machine.

The computer would freeze, or I'd get the muti-language "you need to hold the power button" message. Then when re-starting, the screens would have the light grey colour and the apple logo, then go blank, then I'd get the "No signal" message from the screens.

The computer would still be making the usual running noises, then after a few minutes it would begin slowly building up the fan speeds until it sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

I'd have to hold the power button again to stop it. I'd only get it going again if it was left for at least an hour.

Now it only runs for about 5 mins at a time before crashing. Most frustrating in a recording studio.

I've used the system DVD to do disc checks, but no problems are found.

I wonder does anyone know if it is possible to revert to a previous update like Windows can?

Failing that, the only thing I can think of is to re-install 10.4 from my system disc and keep off the internet.

Any help gratefully received!
Thanks.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
^^^ This may be caused by a USB device, for example on my MP it was caused by a poor quality USB wireless adaptor - Edimaz EW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.