Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

williedigital

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
So, if one were to install a xeon with a 1066fsb, would the macpro automatically try to run it at 1333 (in effect overclocking it) or would it automatically shift to 1066? If it doesn't do it automatically, could you force it to do 1333 somehow?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Apple has never supported overclocking, IMNSHO, you would be crazy to try. There are SOOO many things that can break - RAM timing, heat management, etc. It'll absolutely void the warranty, of course.

If you have an overclocking jones, then buy a Pentium D805 and an ABit motherboard in a clone box and have at 'er.

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
Apple has never supported overclocking, IMNSHO, you would be crazy to try.

Hm, my B&W G3 shipped with a set of jumpers near the CPU labeled "speed control" (lol) and a little diagram describing which jumper combination is what multiplier. Overclocked from 350 to 400 without a hitch (never tried 450 or 500). No, they didn't support it, of course.

Willie, it's a really interesting idea, but I wouldn't try it on my Mac Pro.

williedigital

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
i know

i know they've never officially supported it, but intel motherboards are usually built really stable and have shown to be completely safe to overclock. that combined with the core2 duo's architecture being extremely overclockable makes me want to give it a try. any jumpers on the mac pro board?

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Hm, my B&W G3 shipped with a set of jumpers near the CPU labeled "speed control" (lol) and a little diagram describing which jumper combination is what multiplier. Overclocked from 350 to 400 without a hitch (never tried 450 or 500). No, they didn't support it, of course.

Willie, it's a really interesting idea, but I wouldn't try it on my Mac Pro.

Yep, I oc'd my B&W from 350 to 450 notta problemo, and also from 550 to 650 after I put a G4 in it from OWC.

Yes the jumpers were there, but so was a little strip of tape that said removing it would void the warranty too :p

Granted the intel stuff is different 4 sure, but I dont think I would risk it on a brand new machine........after the warranty runs out, oh yea :D

williedigital

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
the original mac mini had that thing where you could pop off a couple capacitors to bump the 1.25 or 1.33 g4 to a 1.5.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
The Processor Clock, and FSB are auto-configured by the Processor, and are "Clock Clocked". Outside of hacking the EFI to manually change the FSB clock, you will not be overclocking an Intel Mac.

The CPU is set at the factory for it's FSB clock (1066 or 1333) and multiplier. Short of modifying the CPU (both of them, and risking serious damage) you are pretty well stuck with the default core speed of the CPUs

ChrisKadaver

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
I was just thinking the same thing, and ended up here searching for some answers. If you can't overclock a mac fsb through software/bios in any way, it must be because the fsb is set from factory and cant be changed?
so if that is the case, it should work in theory to put a cpu with 1066 mhz fsb and get it to run in 1333 mhz. If the fsb isnt controlled by the cpu? would be intrersting to hear from someone who tried it :)
but im afraid Transeau's right.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
i know they've never officially supported it, but intel motherboards are usually built really stable and have shown to be completely safe to overclock. that combined with the core2 duo's architecture being extremely overclockable makes me want to give it a try. any jumpers on the mac pro board?

We are not talking C2Ds here. I would not suggest to anyone any overclocking on a Mac Pro.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
you're not happy with the speed of your mac pro? hard to please at all?

isn't the bottleneck nowadays the i/o, ram, and hard drive? would overclocking make much difference?

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Isnt overclocking usually reserved for the people who put neons and xmass lights in their rigs?

I thought us Mac Users were "better" than that. :rolleyes:

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
So, if one were to install a xeon with a 1066fsb, would the macpro automatically try to run it at 1333 (in effect overclocking it) or would it automatically shift to 1066? If it doesn't do it automatically, could you force it to do 1333 somehow?

Not automatically, yes you can force it to do 1333.

http://www.o0o.it/pro/ covers such a thing somwhere in the article.

Isnt overclocking usually reserved for the people who put neons and xmass lights in their rigs?

I thought us Mac Users were "better" than that. :rolleyes:

Or for people who want to save hundreds of dollars.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
isn't the bottleneck nowadays the i/o, ram, and hard drive? would overclocking make much difference?

On my MacPro, I am the bottleneck. No matter how fast I type, my MacPro is always waiting on me.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
And then spend it on neons and xmass lights for their rig. :cool:

The lights please the baby Jesus into giving us presents.

I have nothing to add to this thread, other than it's really dumb to overclock a $2500 computer.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
Or for people who want to save hundreds of dollars.

How do you work that logic out...

Lets see, to save lots of money on fast high end CPU's. Overclock the blazes hell out of the one he/she already has, over time the parts wear out or eventually fail. Burn out, to have to buy a new machine or parts because they've burned out the previous? :)

I have nothing to add to this thread, other than it's really dumb to overclock a $2500 computer.

Quite.

This almost reminds me the exact thing somebody done here when they got their Mac pro. Anyone remember, once he got it, he stripped the heatsink or rather had taken them off just to see whats below and the paste it uses? then let the silver paste dry out, as the heatsinks were off for 4 - 5 days.

What the friggin!, I don't get people at times. Its like those freaks that bought the XBOX360 or PS3 and then smash it in front of the queues that were waiting on the day of release just for the sake of it.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England

Lets see, to save lots of money on fast high end CPU's. Overclock the blazes hell out of the one he/she already has, over time the parts wear out or eventually fail. Burn out, to have to buy a new machine or parts because they've burned out the previous? :)

You can't overclock the ones that come with the Mac Pro. 1.83 GHz Xeons however can be made to run at 2.33GHz, as shown in the link I posted making it possible to get an 8 core 2.33GHz machine running for $500-$600. Selling off the old processors or using themelse where could also add alot to the savings. It's not for everyone, not even close, but for some people, especially as warranties are about to run out for many, it is an option. Just because the binning process found that such processors weren't up to Intel's requirements for higher speeds doesn't mean they will burn out or fail.

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
On my MacPro, I am the bottleneck. No matter how fast I type, my MacPro is always waiting on me.

There's a way to solve that problem. Just install BOINC and have it start at startup and add a project like SETI. It'll keep your Mac Pro busy, even when you aren't using it. It's cool to see all those 4 cores zooming at 100%.

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
CPU's dont wear out in the same way a car would. A standard CPU might easily work 10 or 15 years so even if the life gets cut in half, then so what. Are you using a computer from 15 years ago? Chances are no. As long as the voltage doesnt get bumped, there isnt much danger in overclocking.

Also there *IS* money to be saved. Say if the 2.66Ghz hits 3Ghz (which it probably would and do so without any issues or reliability problems) and if the computer lasts for the duration of time the owner has purchased it, then money has been saved.

Overclocking is only dangerous if the cpu is running hotter than what specs allow or if the voltage exceeds the max recommended.... If someone can overclock and the box tests fine and runs stable then whats the real issue?

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Ofcourse Folding! But unfortunately folding or other distibuted computing projects aren't happy with overclocked procs because you have a bigger chance of corrupt data that it could produce. A lot of times your WorkUnit will be early terminated because it isn't correct. In the past there where a couple of folding threads about it in the distributed computing section here at MR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.