Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Apple sells more computers than any-other single manufacturer

Where do you get that? According to Gartner and IDC, in the last few years Apple is #4, #5, or #6 in the world depending on the year. Apple is behind HP, Lenovo, Dell, and sometimes Asus.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
their computer lineup that launching it alongside iPhone would suck all attention one way or another.

That's not true, look at the superbowl, some ads are more shocking tha others, but actually the people is latking about the shown or the game, don't means sucks the attention, futher when you sell a whole ECOSYSTEM idea you cant sell the parts alone, you have to show the whole set, as with jewels if you want a collection so sell high, you cant advertise each jewel independent just coz the pink-panther diamond its part of the collection and will catch the attention, you have to show the whole colleciton to build the FULL SET VALUE.
[doublepost=1470430364][/doublepost]
Where do you get that? According to Gartner and IDC, in the last few years Apple is #4, #5, or #6 in the world depending on the year. Apple is behind HP, Lenovo, Dell, and sometimes Asus.
Laptop share falls, who buys a macbook spectating new models?
http://fortune.com/2016/07/12/apple-macbook-market-share/

another IDC report, sayind the contrary

http://9to5mac.com/2016/04/11/apple-mac-market-numbers-idc/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...-third-quarter-amid-continued-pc-market-slide
ahh I'd like to see the total amount of these sales and which % belongs to sub 400$ devices not in Apple offerings.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
That's not true, look at the superbowl, some ads are more shocking tha others, but actually the people is latking about the shown or the game, don't means sucks the attention, futher when you sell a whole ECOSYSTEM idea you cant sell the parts alone, you have to show the whole set, as with jewels if you want a collection so sell high, you cant advertise each jewel independent just coz the pink-panther diamond its part of the collection and will catch the attention, you have to show the whole colleciton to build the FULL SET VALUE.
If you have two halo lineups, and two Halo systems that are part of one ecosystem, you are not letting them canibalize themselves. You need to prepare a timeframe, for your customers to get more money, so they can give that money to you, for your products, services, etc.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Laptop share falls, who buys a macbook spectating new models?
http://fortune.com/2016/07/12/apple-macbook-market-share/

another IDC report, sayind the contrary

http://9to5mac.com/2016/04/11/apple-mac-market-numbers-idc/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...-third-quarter-amid-continued-pc-market-slide
ahh I'd like to see the total amount of these sales and which % belongs to sub 400$ devices not in Apple offerings.

You just sent three articles that prove my point.

The first link states that Apple is tied for #4 with Asus and Acer.
The second link shows Apple at #4.
The third link shows Apple at #4.

Fourth place is not selling "more computers than any-other single manufacturer".

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
You need to prepare a timeframe, for your customers to get more money, so they can give that money to you, for your products, services, etc.
Yes, thats rigth, but doesn't means you have to segregate launch and miss the Massive Shock, Apple dont have to care on customer building budget, once a customer realize the ECOSYSTEM in their minds will buy every piece as they can, until have everything "as saw in the keynote", otherwise in customer minds will be only the iphone or the mac the want w/o the magic ecosystem link.

The best Apple Argument to sell iPhones and Mac is the ecosystem, if they miss that the next keynoter I'll sell all my stocks on apple ASAP.
[doublepost=1470431599][/doublepost]
Fourth place is not selling "more computers than any-other single manufacturer".
but EARNS more

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
but EARNS more

Well if you're going to change your statement to that, then I agree. But that's a completely different point altogether.

"Earns more" is substantially different than "Apple sells more computers than any-other single manufacturer". They are completely different metrics.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
I have never heard of this guy so I don't understand the joke. :(
Most of the speculative Mac Pro threads consist of mainly 4 types of observers and participants.
1. Tech and engineering backgrounds, who debate various tech protocols and hardware.
2. Enthusiasts and or Prosumer minded individuals who know how to do their research as far as a step beyond buyers guides.
3. Flame Wars anarchists who love to start endless, pointless, nonsense debates, and eventually get the thread shut down, or abandoned (there have been several iterations of such threads and the perpetrators know who they are).
4. And the fourth is our troll hordes. This very thread was started by a new member, and quite possibly their first thread, 'no one'. Who claims to have inside knowledge of what's to come. DarkNetGuy is a poster on the dark web, who also claims to have inside information. The last I heard quoted was to be watching last Monday for big news. Nothing materialized of course. And 'no one' has gone mute as well.

But here we are, many of us looking for some glimmer for news on the Mac Pro and Mac line in general. Seeing the future of included technologies (thunderbolt comes to mind). Personally I believe much of the Mac Profesonial/sumer community as at a crossroads when we are looking to invest much or our livelihoods and passion, why sink it in eol (end of life) products?
[doublepost=1470436631][/doublepost]For reference, I claim to be a type 2 Mac Pro thread poster.

tralfaz

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
... new Macs with dGPU will support DP1.3 while on native USB-C DP ALT MODE (actually not using TB3 mode), this even enables a 5K on SST mode on each TB3 port.

I had not heard of USB-C DP ALT MODE, but it seems to be a real thing that would solve the problem of a single 5K display cable. I didn't read all the details, but I didn't see any mention of TB3 in the DP ALT MODE breakdown. Can a single USB-C port deliver TB3 or USB 3.1 Gen2 or DP1.3 via ALT MODE?

Yesterday "DarkNet Guy" (yes this guys still exists) ttalked about Apple to Launch an "Pro" Line from Macbook to iPhones, including new iMac, MP, MBPs, iPad and an souped up iPhone 7Plus (iPhone 7pro), all in deep black

So Apple is going to follow the A/V equipment companies that have a consumer line, and an "Elite" line. Or maybe like Toyota/Lexus, Apple will create a new nameplate and sell computers and phones under an Apple/Asparagus brand. I look forward to booting up my Asparagus Broccolini 9000 sometime next year. :)

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Personally I believe much of the Mac Profesonial/sumer community as at a crossroads when we are looking to invest much or our livelihoods and passion, why sink it in eol (end of life) products?

imo the best thing you can do as a mac user with regards to the above sentiment is to use and/or learn cross platform software.
learning/mastering software is the true investment of a computer user.. buying hardware? that's just money.

if your software can be used on multiple OS, doomsday (in this context) will likely never come.. apple could announce tomorrow that they're eol_ing their entire computer line.. pretty sure i'd (and most other pros using macs) be just fine and it wouldn't even require immediate attention.. you'd have a couple of years to crossover.

point being-- i think the 'crossroads/livelihoods/passions' thing is leaning a bit too hard on the dramatics

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
imo the best thing you can do as a mac user with regards to the above sentiment is to use and/or learn cross platform software.
learning/mastering software is the true investment of a computer user.. buying hardware? that's just money.

if your software can be used on multiple OS, doomsday (in this context) will likely never come.. apple could announce tomorrow that they're eol_ing their entire computer line.. pretty sure i'd (and most other pros using macs) be just fine and it wouldn't even require immediate attention.. you'd have a couple of years to crossover.

point being-- i think the 'crossroads/livelihoods/passions' thing is leaning a bit too hard on the dramatics

I would be disappointed but not devastated if that happens. Personally Im comfortable on PC and all the programs I use works on both. The frustrating part for me is that I want an even more powerful machine (a lot more) and I prefer staying with OSX - but I have the previous model of the maxed out 5K iMac - so theres pretty much notting Apple can offer me that will beat it (the incremental change to the 1 year old iMac doesnt justify a new purchase). And no way Im buying a 3 year old Mac Pro (and it would not benefit my needs, since the iMac has higher Hz on the single core anyway). So, if Apple cancelled all their desktop computers, at least I would know that I wouldnt regret getting a PC. Now...they are just pissing me off with the absence of Macs and complete silence.

Reactions: pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I would be disappointed but not devastated if that happens. Personally Im comfortable on PC and all the programs I use works on both. The frustrating part for me is that I want an even more powerful machine (a lot more) and I prefer staying with OSX - but I have the previous model of the maxed out 5K iMac - so theres pretty much notting Apple can offer me that will beat it (the incremental change to the 1 year old iMac doesnt justify a new purchase). And no way Im buying a 3 year old Mac Pro (and it would not benefit my needs, since the iMac has higher Hz on the single core anyway). So, if Apple cancelled all their desktop computers, at least I would know that I wouldnt regret getting a PC. Now, they are just pissing me off.
world you say Apple is trolling us?

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
world you say Apple is trolling us?

Dunno, it feels like it. But mainly I think its managements lack of taking the truck computers seriously. I assume the engineer teams on Macs have been cut to minimum, moved to other projects and apple tries to shift their focus. Too costly to continue developing computers and too little to earn. And I assume the management, which only know how to use machines for typing, don't see why this would be problematic for someone....I hear a lot ofo people, who only use machines for trivial stuff saying "why cant everyone just use ipads today, its fine"...

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
I had not heard of USB-C DP ALT MODE, but it seems to be a real thing that would solve the problem of a single 5K display cable. I didn't read all the details, but I didn't see any mention of TB3 in the DP ALT MODE breakdown. Can a single USB-C port deliver TB3 or USB 3.1 Gen2 or DP1.3 via ALT MODE?

Actually the usb-c specification it's about the connector and it's data modes or ALT modes, so am USB-C connection may have as current:usb 3.1, usb 2.0, Thunderbolt 3, digital audio, analog audio, TTL Serial, display port 1.2-1.4 and power delivery all depends on the host multiplexer chip where the usb-c is connected to, as the most basic used in phones that provides audio power and usb data modes to more elaborated muxers as the one on the retina MacBook which provides USB 3.1 display port 1.2 and power delivery, to the most complex yet Intel Alpine Ridge which provides display port 1.2 (rumored to be upgraded to dp 1.3) USB 3, power delivery, and Thunderbolt 3 mode.

Note Thunderbolt 3 mode itself allows 2 displayport 1.2 usb 3 and pcie x4 transports not related the base usb-c specification, it's like am adapter over the adapter.

So Apple is going to follow the A/V equipment companies that have a consumer line, and an "Elite" line. Or maybe like Toyota/Lexus, Apple will create a new nameplate and sell computers and phones under an Apple/Asparagus brand. I look forward to booting up my Asparagus Broccolini 9000 sometime next year. :)

First I post the "leaks" from DarkNetGuy just for fun, doesn't deserves any trust or reliability and most likely are lies or empirical speculations made by him.

Apple isn't in its best management days, Tim Cook it's more popular as a big pocket activist than as Visionary CEO. Apple computer division it's an clear evidence something is not good: the oldest Mac lineup ever, Apple acquiring bankrupt startups paying as it where stable oil corporations, and now one of the most commented jokes: a invite only zeroday bug bounty program, I don't know what it's most absurd have no ZDBB Program or this "invite only" so only the cook few friends can take those bounty? What happens to all those really dangerous zero day bugs outside the "friends" circle?

I think again and again and only idea I have it's somebody it's not really honest or its really stupid at Apple and whoever is Tim Cook is in knowledge and does nothing because he is distracted with his activism involvement.

Last edited:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I just want Apple to commit to something I don't really care what.. Next year I need to start planning a computer purchase again at work and there will need to be peripheral changes at that time. I need to decide what to go to the boss with by late summer so it can start going up the flag pole for an early FY18 purchase

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I just want Apple to commit to something I don't really care what.. Next year I need to start planning a computer purchase again at work and there will need to be peripheral changes at that time. I need to decide what to go to the boss with by late summer so it can start going up the flag pole for an early FY18 purchase
Must be tough to make that kind of decision...especially at this time and status.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake

Cross over of course is always a consideration, for myself I am bound to Windows to run Revit. Its more of continuing to invest into an ecosystem (which has been the Apple argument for years). In regards to the hypothetical 'if apple abandoned the computer line' I'm sure we would all survive. The step between that and now is the question, should I just go get a HP Z workstation now?

Its just like anything else we all buy and consume, we all have our brand favorites, from Pepsi to coke, from dominos, to Pizza Hut, to Chevy to Ford, DeWalt to Ryobi. My point is if either of the above left product stagnating over a few years, they would quickly loose their customers.
[doublepost=1470530960][/doublepost]
Now...they are just pissing me off with the absence of Macs and complete silence.

^^^ Amen

Reactions: H2SO4 and flat five

G-News

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Switzerland
Ajust checked channel inventory here in Switzerland. We've had a series of massive rebates on the nMP in the past few weeks and the channel is pretty much empty, only a few standard configurations left. I can only hope that a new model will come soon.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Many people who build hackintoshes would pay more for getting a genuine Apple instead, provided that it does have the flexibility from the traditional Mac Pro.

I hope they bring NVIDIA again into the Mac Pro line. The possibility to choose between AMD and NVIDIA is a real need in the professional land. Being tied to AMD, and -even worse- nonstandard boards like those in the nMP, is a big problem for pro work.

If the current Mac Pro was a good design, you could now install a new Pascal Titan X on it, and you would have drivers for it. But neither you can plug it, nor there are any Pascal drivers as of now.

I'm building a new PC box right now, with a Pascal Titan X on it just because Apple cannot offer what I need. Linux will save the day for me for the moment, as it does have Pascal drivers.

Reactions: ssgbryan

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
nMP is a visionary product, too early for it's time but I'm glad it came along this soon.
It will be refined by the next iteration.

No it isn't.
It is just a rehash of the cube.

Someone asked the question: "Can we build a MiniMac that's a kick-ass FCPX appliance?".

The answer is the MP6,1.

Nobody asked the question: "Can we build a new Mac Pro that's kick-ass for whatever you want to do?".

(And wasn't the Imac G4 (the "makeup mirror" model) the sphere?)

3221749782_a43eb36401[1].jpg

Reactions: tuxon86 and mw360

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
Someone asked the question: "Can we build a MiniMac that's a kick-ass FCPX appliance?".

The answer is the MP6,1.

Nobody asked the question: "Can we build a new Mac Pro that's kick-ass for whatever you want to do?".

This was not "pro" enough, now it's gonna be a real "pro" ...
[doublepost=1470598403][/doublepost]
The next one will be the one everybody will want. That's sure (except those off budget..)
I admire the fact that you 're so sure about it. Anyway, optimistic views are very welcome.
[doublepost=1470598497][/doublepost]

The answer is the MP6,1.

also this was a half sphere, a hemisphere, now we 're going for a globe.

Reactions: AidenShaw

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
This was not "pro" enough, now it's gonna be a real "pro" ...
[doublepost=1470598403][/doublepost]
I admire the fact that you 're so sure about it. Anyway, optimistic views are very welcome.
[doublepost=1470598497][/doublepost]
also this was a half sphere, a hemisphere, now we 're going for a globe.

Hum an Apple death star....would buy if it had lasers!!

Reactions: thornslack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.