Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Hopefully the MP gets a significant upgrade. Not that they're underpowered, but it's been a while..

Will it play Crysis??

:apple:

This stopped being funny about a month or so after Crysis came out. It's now been over four years.

----------

Its nice to see news about real computers. It almost feels like apple doesn't care about professionals and is instead focusing on the iOS toys.

Apple's pretty much like any other company... they care about whatever makes them money. Right now that happens to be iToys.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
They tried a headless mid-range desktop and it was a massive failure in terms of sales.

I'd be derailing the thread, but let's just say the Cube wasn't exactly a good try at a headless mid-range desktop - it was more of a statement than anything (a darn sexy one at that, but for a hefty price).

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
I currently own a 2006 Mac Pro that is obviously starting to get a bit old. I have thought I might be able to get a year or two more out of it, but that's a stretch. Needless to say, I am pretty interested in a new Mac Pro being released, especially as I am still a student and could utilize a student discount.

HOWEVER.

I wonder what the future for the Mac Pro is and whether I will be able to upgrade my machine in 3+ years. The main reason to pay the premium for a Mac Pro is upgradability, expandability, and being able to use the monitors that I have instead of being forced to buy one with an iMac. What happens if Apple decides that they no longer want to make Mac Pros and all of a sudden I won't be able to upgrade the graphics card to extend the life of my machine? If I was unable to upgrade the graphics card in the machine that I have now, it wouldn't have lasted nearly as long.

P-Worm

In the old days with the PowerPCs you never had to worry about this... but nowadays things are different. Hm.. it's a risk you might have to take.

However, you can always use a PC graphics card in a MP if you run windows.. *shrug*

Mac2012

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
Protip: if you're calling it "windoze" and using unnecessary caps I'm less likely to believe you're a professional and more likely to believe you're a teen in your mom's basement.

I don't work in sound, but I can speak to using a mac pro professionally. Aside from the clusters I offload actually heavy work to I currently use 2 8 core systems (1 of them the MP in my sig running OSX and a pile of VMs, the other a dell running debian and armed with an nvidia tesla c2050) for local modelling and testing. I do cuda tests using the GT120 in the MP then offload to the dell for larger scale testing. There is no way I could do that on an imac (and if I just had tesla drivers for OSX I'd upgrade from both these machines to a 16 core MP the minute the new ones were out!). There are plenty of audio engineers with needs like mine, either because of ram constraints, or render times/deadlines, or.. etc

iMacs have their place, and many professionals can use them. There are quite a bit of us that can't though, and I'm hoping apple isnt driving us off.

As for cost... the C2050 I have costs more than your imac, so to anyone declaiming cost as a factor in getting an imac over a Mac Pro... my cards still manage to cost more than the box, and I need those slots!
I said MUSIC! I perform live and sound great live LIVE... some still do. I said for video or 3D a MP's better... but really, it depends on what you do. I can upload my 3D work to online farms if I need something quick... I got the time, but really, I got the talent and you don't need a 12 core to do cutting edge... you're talent has to be. The only thing is time... most premier software allows ram previews on slower machines. It's ALL THE SAME IN THE END!!!!!!! If you run OSX and use an application, it doesn't really matter but how good you are now, the boxes are fast enough period!

----------

I don't know what field you work in, but in AV production rendering to audio is a real pain, because there is always on-the-fly last minute changes etc. The director will always come in with a new edit that requires you shorten that segment by one and a half bar. If you have to unrender 300 tracks for that, ****** gets boring really quick. Not to mention time-consuming.

Especially with large symphonic scores, many composers use VEP over multiple machines to keep everything live.

Finally, when you render everything to audio that iMac's internal hdd is gonna clog up quick, especially at 96k or higher. ThB seems nice, but if you have to share that 10gbps between your hdd's and realtime audio streaming + processing from the Apollo, I bet you'll hit the ceiling at some point.
Hmmmm... a 100 piece orchestra is well... only 100 tracks right? Okay, try again. Anyway, I hire real orchestras to do that and if I do virtual stuff, I just render each part. VEP is cool of you think your a virtuoso but really, the whole things a joke because nothing is better than REAL so go spend all your $$ and get a loan on your home because I'll just mic a college student and give him cred, and some cash and I have REAL on my iMac ha ha!!!! Whatever man! Just use your mind... there's no set RULE in music creation and if you want to feed that to me... go over to motunation or gearsluts because they are all brainwashed too.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Who the hell cares about USB3? Thunderbolt is what I've been waitng for in the Mac Pro line

If you're interested in something like the tb raid box that Apple sells, faster options have been available for a very long time for the mac pro. The primary advantage to a tb drive enclosure attached to the mac pro (in my opinion) would be that you can also hook your laptop up as necessary to the same box, and obviously it's nice if you're looking at fast single external drives.

Erm, thats what the SP systems are?

BTW the price for the i7 SB-E chips are priced pretty much the same as the Xeons, so where are the savings?

It's a common misunderstanding. They see the size of the thing and the price and assume that all goes into making a much faster machine. Lenovo actually crammed a dual socket workstation into a much smaller rackable box. If Apple's focus wasn't away from computers these days they might have done something similar. I don't think it would allow for quite the same clean internal layout though.

The 6-core processors are both superior to it. The 4-core beats it at most things, even some of the best multi-threaded software.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/523?vs=142

I'd actually be surprised if Apple even offered the 1660. It just makes no financial sense for the consumer. $700+ for a 3% processor performance increase over the 1650? Nah. They also didn't use the top options available in 09 so there is precedent. The E5-2600s don't appear to have huge turbo boost performance from using less cores so only the higher end ones will be much use for those whose workflow doesn't benefit from high core counts.

I never know with Apple. I'm kind of wondering if they're going to retain the price point used by the current 6 core. It's quite high for a single socket workstation (makes me more tempted to jump to a dual socket model).

Throwing my hat in; I think we'll see a Sandy Bridge E with the 2 dead cores activated for Apple's new Mac Pro. I think you'll see 8 core Sandy Bridge E processors - so upto 16 core monsters. The form factor will be the same too, because of heat issues and a slip up when Apple posted a Thunderbolt RAID next to a Pro. Oh, yeah, this will happen very soon. Maybe before the end of the month.

Thunderbolt raid wouldn't be the fastest option on a mac pro. You can get pretty close to the real speeds offered by the promise enclosure by populating the internal bays. If you need way more bandwidth, there are better/faster options. I mean it's an okay raid setup, but it's not that great.

Hopefully the MP gets a significant upgrade. Not that they're underpowered, but it's been a while..

The base models are really the ones that could use some love. Much like in the 2007 addition, only the more expensive models saw much of an upgrade this past cycle. The base hardware is starting to look a bit old. Considering how Apple treats old products in terms of driver updates/bug fixes, I don't blame people for not wanting to buy into three year old hardware with patched updates (as in westmere).

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I said MUSIC! I perform live and sound great live LIVE... some still do. I said for video or 3D a MP's better... but really, it depends on what you do. I can upload my 3D work to online farms if I need something quick... I got the time, but really, I got the talent and you don't need a 12 core to do cutting edge... you're talent has to be. The only thing is time... most premier software allows ram previews on slower machines. It's ALL THE SAME IN THE END!!!!!!! If you run OSX and use an application, it doesn't really matter but how good you are now, the boxes are fast enough period!

----------

Hmmmm... a 100 piece orchestra is well... only 100 tracks right? Okay, try again. Anyway, I hire real orchestras to do that and if I do virtual stuff, I just render each part. VEP is cool of you think your a virtuoso but really, the whole things a joke because nothing is better than REAL so go spend all your $$ and get a loan on your home because I'll just mic a college student and give him cred, and some cash and I have REAL on my iMac ha ha!!!! Whatever man! Just use your mind... there's no set RULE in music creation and if you want to feed that to me... go over to motunation or gearsluts because they are all brainwashed too.

Apple doesn't care what you need. They care what you purchase. They like to think they can dictate what you need to some extent, but in the end who cares what is good enough. It's what you want and what you buy. To each his own. You can survive on bread and water for a while but it's nice to have a gourmet meal to if you can afford it. ;)

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area

OK, whatever. You hire an orchestra and record them in a top-tier studio. Cost for one day at the studio + 40 union players is what? 10-15k or so? Everything sounds great and your iMac doesn't break a sweat. Life is good.

Then the film director comes back and tells you they edited one scene and it is now 5 seconds longer. Please adjust music cue accordingly. All you've got is your beautifully recorded audio that is now 5 seconds shy of being perfect.

You are going back to the studio and record those guys again, for what, another 10-15k?

Good luck with that MO. There is a reason why people use mock-ups. Even industry vets like Zimmer use virtual instruments for precisely this reason.

Last edited:

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Who the hell cares about USB3? Thunderbolt is what I've been waitng for in the Mac Pro line

Suppose you had your thunderbolt port. How many devices would you be able to use with it? Almost none, right? How inexpensive would they be? How compatible would any of those devices be with other computers?

TB is just another niche interface. Yeah, its far superior on paper... but its already failing like Firewire. Its been way over a year for Apple and others to bring forth devices at reasonable prices. They've done next to nothing. USB 3.0 has seen great success for a long time now.

You can take my words to the bank; TB is too far behind to catch up to USB 3.0. It will become another scarce and expensive interface like Firewire.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Oh, come on!

You must be kiddin' me...Front page rumor about MacPro and you talk about that?!

The only thing that's even more moronic than explaining people pedantically why I need a powerhouse are people telling me that I actually don't.

Snahbah

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
Thunderbolt raid wouldn't be the fastest option on a mac pro. You can get pretty close to the real speeds offered by the promise enclosure by populating the internal bays. If you need way more bandwidth, there are better/faster options. I mean it's an okay raid setup, but it's not that great.

Right. Thanks for that. Got F-all to do with what I was talking about. But carry on worrying about Thunderbold, don't care about it much myself, I just want the pure grunt mate. What you think of those 2 extra cores activated just for Apple?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Right. Thanks for that. Got F-all to do with what I was talking about. But carry on worrying about Thunderbold, don't care about it much myself, I just want the pure grunt mate. What you think of those 2 extra cores activated just for Apple?

I doubt it'll happen. There's usually a reason for designs like this. They're trying to maintain a specific thermal profile. I haven't read a white paper on this cpu design, so I'm not sure. If it was simple to turn on the extra cores and charge more for the cpu, Intel would probably do so.

The other side to that is that I don't know why people still expect special treatment for Apple. The two companies haven't been that great to each other. There was the NVidia thing. Apple also cut Intel out of the loop on logic boards in the mac pro. I don't think of the ultrabook initiative as an attack on Apple because it actually funds development of cpus that will eventually be used by Apple.

Jst0rm

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
How is this even remotely a good thing? do we really want a mac pro refresh with this and NOT ivy bridge? that's a huge stab in my opinion, because they would not refresh with this and then again with ivy bridge in 3 months, it'd be either or, and it better be ivy bridge. because if we get a refresh of a revised LAST gen cpu, the see the rest of the macs get ivy bridge, it's just going to make me mad, because i've been waiting for a mac pro refresh for a new mac. But THIS is not what i'm waiting for.

ivy bridge xeons are at least 12 months out. Xeon parts go though much more testing and verification then the mainstream parts. Get used to this type of cycle.

----------

OK, whatever. You hire an orchestra and record them in a top-tier studio. Cost for one day at the studio + 40 union players is what? 10-15k or so? Everything sounds great and your iMac doesn't break a sweat. Life is good.

Then the film director comes back and tells you they edited one scene and it is now 5 seconds longer. Please adjust music cue accordingly. All you've got is your beautifully recorded audio that is now 5 seconds shy of being perfect.

You are going back to the studio and record those guys again, for what, another 10-15k?

Good luck with that MO. There is a reason why people use mock-ups. Even industry vets like Zimmer use virtual instruments for precisely this reason.

A good music editor could edit the recorded music for as long as needed.

Snahbah

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
I doubt it'll happen. There's usually a reason for designs like this. They're trying to maintain a specific thermal profile. I haven't read a white paper on this cpu design, so I'm not sure. If it was simple to turn on the extra cores and charge more for the cpu, Intel would probably do so.

Apple have been battling with the heat generated from these according to some sources but the Mac Pro is one big old lump - that's why the form won't change I don't think.

Three things:

Intel took the piss out of AMD for leaving cores unused and said it would never do such a thing. Har har, the news is out. Why pay top dollar, and it is top dollar, for something that's hamstrung?

So Intel have no reason to activate all 8, as with 6 on the die they can still take the piss out of Bulldozer. Why bother with no competition? Well, what if a rather reliable and rich partner asked you to?

Time is a fast old train, as Townes Van Zandt said, SB-E has been out since November, albeit in small numbers. Tick tock. Time's up.

Think you're wrong fella. Expect the Mac Pro soon and expect it to be an unleashed Sandy Bridge E. And expect one of the first to have Snahbah written on it. :D

Jst0rm

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Apple have been battling with the heat generated from these according to some sources but the Mac Pro is one big old lump - that's why the form won't change I don't think.

Three things:

Intel took the piss out of AMD for leaving cores unused and said it would never do such a thing. Har har, the news is out. Why pay top dollar, and it is top dollar, for something that's hamstrung?

So Intel have no reason to activate all 8, as with 6 on the die they can still take the piss out of Bulldozer. Why bother with no competition? Well, what if a rather reliable and rich partner asked you to?

Time is a fast old train, as Townes Van Zandt said, SB-E has been out since November, albeit in small numbers. Tick tock. Time's up.

Think you're wrong fella. Expect the Mac Pro soon and expect it to be an unleashed Sandy Bridge E. And expect one of the first to have Snahbah written on it. :D

get in line buddy :D

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Three things:

Exactly... they haven't been shipping in volume. Regarding cores turned on or off, we still don't know their reasoning. Is it a thermal profile or tdp issue? Is the manufacturing process having issues and it's easier to guarantee that at least 6 cores are up to spec rather than all 8? We're missing what would be useful information.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Exactly... they haven't been shipping in volume. Regarding cores turned on or off, we still don't know their reasoning. Is it a thermal profile or tdp issue? Is the manufacturing process having issues and it's easier to guarantee that at least 6 cores are up to spec rather than all 8? We're missing what would be useful information.

Thermal issues I would think. I doubt they will talk about it, but if you look at the TDPs and specifications of the E5-2600 and 2400 range it does seem to say that they can't pump out fast 8-core CPUs with ease and something like the 2687W with its 3.1GHz clockrate, 8-cores and 150W TDP is them pushing to the limit and those processors are the best that they can yield. If they could get a bunch of 3.3GHz ones and sell them for another $500 a pop you would think they would.

I guess as long as AMD aren't a threat to that very high-end we won't know just how much better Intel could be offering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.