Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Would it be better to use the HDMI or DP with an adapter for a second monitor rather than DVI-I? I figured it was all progressive.

You can still use the DVI-I. It just has extra pins for an analog VGA monitor. They are both still digital. No need for expensive adapters unless you want to run more than 2 monitors if your display doesn't have a DisplayPort or HDMI input.

Cole637

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
Im using x2 30 inch displays with 680 and it works fine.

I have 2 680 cards installed. One 2GB and one 4gb. Ive connected both displays to the 2gb which work no problem. 4gb is same.

I want to run two GTX 680 cards in my MacPro 4,1 as well.
SO How do I get power for both cards? Is it a special diasy chain cable between the two cards or another (possibly external) power source? I'm running one card now which uses both power slots.

Also I wonder Does it matter that one card is a DDR3 one will be a GDDR5?

Thanks

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
The power cables can't be daisy chained. You will probably need to find an external power source. Some people have used regular ATX power supplies, some have used internal power supplies like the Booster X5, and some have modified the Mac Pro's internal power supply to tap a few unused power lines.

I never knew that GTX 680s shipped with GDDR3. I always thought all varieties shipped with GDDR5.

500-Watt-Power-Supply-FSP-Booster-X5-350x350.gif

Reactions: Cole637

Cole637

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
Wow, Thank You for such a fast reply and power supply options!! It's Probably the safest option for me to get something like the Booster X5 since I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to modifying. I would assume once I set it up to let the GDDR5 be the main card and run the monitors off of it and leave the other card empty for power? Or does it matter?

I attached a screen shot of my current card. Guess I was unfortunate enough to have gotten a DDR3 card rather than a 5 not knowing there was a difference. I originally started shopping around because I recently started to get some artifacts and adobe crashes/ but now it seems to have stopped after another El Capitan update and I started thinking about running two cards?? I'm only wanting more power for Adobe suite not games.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 10.46.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 10.46.54 AM.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 75

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
In the screen shot you included, the only DDR3 I see is your system memory, not the GPU's.

Adding a second video card will give you additional CUDA cores which can help with some of Adobe's apps.

Cole637

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
In the screen shot you included, the only DDR3 I see is your system memory, not the GPU's.

Adding a second video card will give you additional CUDA cores which can help with some of Adobe's apps.

Ha! Well now you see why I need to buy the more direct power supply since I can't even discern between the two memory stats :) Awesome!

Attached is a screen shot of the card stats but I can't tell what it is from this, but I'm now assuming it is a DDR5~

Thanks Again,
You've been Very Helpful -Take care!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 12.29.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 12.29.20 PM.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 75

Cole637

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015

Okay, Last (2) Questions:
Would it matter if I already have a "mac edition GTX 680" card and mix it wt a non-mac edition GTX 680 card? the 2nd is usually much cheaper. From what I read the PC versions plays no problem on an updated mac but I'm not sure about using one of each kind?

And should i stay with another 2GB card or can I go to a 4GB card?

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Okay, Last (2) Questions:
Would it matter if I already have a "mac edition GTX 680" card and mix it wt a non-mac edition GTX 680 card? the 2nd is usually much cheaper. From what I read the PC versions plays no problem on an updated mac but I'm not sure about using one of each kind?

And should i stay with another 2GB card or can I go to a 4GB card?

It won't matter if your second GTX 680 is a PC version. One of each works fine.

I don't know how much of a difference there is between 2GB and 4GB, but either will work.

If you haven't already purchased a second GTX 680, you may wish to look in to some of the newer Nvidia cards, some offer much better performance.

Cole637

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
Funny, I was just trying to research that since it doesn't look like the Booster x5 is available anywhere anymore..
So, Do you think one newer (reasonably priced) card would give me equal or better performance as two GTX680's? Or, regardless of price, whats your opinion on the Best Card available to me to run the Adobe Suite running on a MacPro 4,1 ?

Thanks again!

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I think that the GTX 970s offer great "bang for the buck". The GTX 980Ti is even better albeit at a higher cost. It's best that you check some reviews to find what best suits your needs and budget.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
As far as GT120 goes, it can no longer be used next to a GTX680 in 10.8.4 if trying to use OpenCl. At least Luxrender chokes on it.

I'm running this exact HW setup and have no problems rendering with OpenCL.
OS X 10.11.1
Cuda 7.5.21
NVidia Web Driver 346.03.03f02
Mac GT120
Mac GTX680
MP 4,1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.