Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markwilliams4321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Hi All,

I have a Mac Pro with no Apple OS installed. It has just Windows 10 installed on a standard HDD. Windows has successfully installed and it boots up fine. It will randomly restart every 10 minutes or so and I'm trying to figure out why.

I know that Windows 10 isn't supported when using BootCamp on the Mac but I assume by not using BootCamp this isn't an issue and the problem is elsewhere.

The Mac Specs are as follows:

Mac Pro (2009) 5.1
3.2GHz Quad Core
16GB RAM 1066MHz
nVidia GT 120

Thank you in advance for any help.

Mark

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I would install OS X and run Geekbench stress test for a while, eliminate any hardware issues or anything Windows related.

Once you are confident that you have a stable system in OS X then install Windows.

What you're describing sounds very much like a hardware issue and not software.
My hunch, RAM related. Did you install new RAM recently? If so, try switching back to just using your old RAM and see.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Hi All,

I have a Mac Pro with no Apple OS installed. It has just Windows 10 installed on a standard HDD. Windows has successfully installed and it boots up fine. It will randomly restart every 10 minutes or so and I'm trying to figure out why.

I know that Windows 10 isn't supported when using BootCamp on the Mac but I assume by not using BootCamp this isn't an issue and the problem is elsewhere.

The Mac Specs are as follows:

Mac Pro (2009) 5.1
3.2GHz Quad Core
16GB RAM 1066MHz
nVidia GT 120

Thank you in advance for any help.

Mark
Look in the Event Viewer for system messages right before the restart. Post a screenshot if you want help.

The attached screenshot shows a system that rebooted following a string of disk errors.

eventvwr.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Squuiid

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
View attachment 618302 [/QUOTE[/QUOTE]
[doublepost=1457154506][/doublepost]My Mac Pro 2,1 has Windows 10 installed. When I run Windows Support on it I get an error message saying that "bootcamp x64 can't be run on this computer." Anybody know whats wrong?

Last edited:

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
[doublepost=1457154506][/doublepost]My Mac Pro 2,1 has Windows 10 installed. When I run Windows Support on it I get an error message saying that "bootcamp x64 can't be run on this computer." Anybody know whats wrong?[/QUOTE]
[doublepost=1457674170][/doublepost]My Mac Pro 2,1 needs drivers for Windows 10. I have not been able to find the right Boot Camp Support files. Do they exist?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.