Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Greetings! Has anyone used Macs Fan Control (or similar program) to lower their Mac Studio's Fan RPM to 1100? If so, was there any downsides? I have the M1 Max version and never hear the fan speed up (even while playing Balder's Gate 3). I was wondering if it was safe to do.

Mr.Fox

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2020
Greetings! Has anyone used Macs Fan Control (or similar program) to lower their Mac Studio's Fan RPM to 1100? If so, was there any downsides? I have the M1 Max version and never hear the fan speed up (even while playing Balder's Gate 3). I was wondering if it was safe to do.
If you fix the revs, then yes, it is dangerous, you can fry the chip or get a trotling. The SSD disk is negatively affected by heating. I used TG Pro program with manual control. I didn't decrease the RPM, but increased it so that the cooling would be effective. I don't feel any discomfort from the fan noise, although it is audible. I am uncomfortable with the cooling system itself- it is disgusting and made with errors that cause airflow mixing .

Last edited:

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Any long term feedback on matching the M2 fan speed profiles on the M1?

Superficially, the M1 Ultra doesn't run any warmer than the M2 Ultra, especially with that large copper heat sink and robust fan system?

Which apps are the most "trustworthy" to allow overriding the stock system settings?
Any important ancillary benefits and functionality on the fan/temperature control apps available to consider?

Last edited:

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Why? Why do you want to turn them down if they are not audible?
Components age more quickly at higher temperatures. CPU reaching higher temperatures will throttle performance,

Reactions: Geoff777

DirkSchreib

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2021
My Mac Studio (M1 Max) is set to 0 rpm until the temperature reaches 65°C, then it will turn on automatically with ~1300 rpm until 47°C are reached. This only needs a few minutes. I assume 65°C is pretty save as most chips will run safe with much higher temperatures (~100°C).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.