Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MetalFace

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
before you pull the triger :eek: these are the very words would have been uttered by me only a few months ago.

But since i started my uni (doing media and film production) i have been somewhat thrown into the deep end of OS X and at first i was the usual windows boy and had the usual thoughts;

everything is on the wrong side!
keyboard layout sucks
wtf do i do
w00t i cant play CS

after my first week having got to grips with OS X and started learning final cut i went out and bought the bad ass 24inch iMac because well i was that impressed and i wanted the best (non pro cos they are bucks) and well lets just say ever time i go back onto my PC i almost cry its true MACS JUST WORK! and Final Cut is now my life cant belive before uni i tried to edit on windows LAME i know anyway this is just me saying hello as im new to this board didnt no where to put it and well i have been converted to the ermmm bright side :D :apple: :D

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Congrats on the Mac and welcome aboard!

Sure didn't take long 1 week WOW!

I grow up with Macs. Got my first Apple ][e when I was 7. When to PCs during the end of hish school, hated Win 98 and went back. It took me awhile to get used to OS X, Way more then 1 week....more like 2 years.:D

MetalFace

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
lol wasnt used to it in one week but i was conviced i think pressing F10 and F11 did it for me! still dunno what to call it lol but its so slick and well i need to use final cut loads and trecking into uni everyday wasnt an option and now im in love!

i am tempted to install boot camp but a friend did it who also has a 24incher and they fried there mother board i think well logic board i think its called (lol n00b) so am scared ill hurt my baby may wait for the final release instead of using beta

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
lol wasnt used to it in one week but i was conviced i think pressing F10 and F11 did it for me! still dunno what to call it lol but its so slick and well i need to use final cut loads and trecking into uni everyday wasnt an option and now im in love!

i am tempted to install boot camp but a friend did it who also has a 24incher and they fried there mother board i think well logic board i think its called (lol n00b) so am scared ill hurt my baby may wait for the final release instead of using beta

Bootcamp couldn't have possibly fried his motherboard... his problem was not related to bootcamp. The worse Bootcamp could do is make you lose your data, render your machine unbootable or mess up your disk but never your logic board.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
yes welcome, and no bootcamp could not have done that, on the other hand it never hurts to skip the beta release and wait.

:apple: :apple: :apple:

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Welcome to the mac side of life! Obviously, I've also chosen the mac way and OS X, but that doesn't mean we have to bash Windows in every instance. You mention FCP. I like and use FCP almost daily. However, I also love Sony Vegas - it's every bit FCP's equal (they have slightly different strengths), so I wouldn't say that FCP by itself is the decisive reason to switch. Now, granted, probably Apple will leap ahead with FCP 6.0, while Sony will drop the ball on Vegas, but as things stand now, I think Vegas is as good if not slightly better than FCP.

In general, get used to some things right off the bat. I like OS X much better than Windows (haven't even bothered with Vista so far), but it is also true that the choice of programs/apps for Windows is vastly greater than for OS X. Yes, there are apps here and there that are better in OS X, but truth remains that Windows pwns OS X when it comes to the software ecosystem. As long as that continues (and I don't see what will stop it), OS X will always be a tiny niche in the market. Yes, I chose that niche, but be aware of what you're getting into.

Finally, I'm not a fanatic. I use OS X 99% of the time. But if Windows comes out with something better, I have no compunction about using it. My loyalty is only to the best, not to the brand. I use OS X and macs because for me and my purposes they are the best. That could change tomorrow, if say, as just an example, Linux finally matured (yeah, right).

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
*Falls to floor laughing hysterically*

Anyone who has used a Mac loves them. Anyone who hates Macs hasn't used them. My "Mac Missionary Count" equals one so far, and it feels awesome!

Apologies for my Fanboi ravings.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Mac!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yes, you do deserve a nice friendly MacRumors welcome for the title...

:p
attachment.php
:p

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
Can somebody come up with, say, a firewire (or even wi-fi) vacuum cleaner, so that one could make their macs really suck :D ?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
but it is also true that the choice of programs/apps for Windows is vastly greater than for OS X. Yes, there are apps here and there that are better in OS X, but truth remains that Windows pwns OS X when it comes to the software ecosystem.

Except for Shareware/Freeware/Open Source :rolleyes:.

Windows has more commerical software, but really the only big ones are in CAD. The IM clients are also slightly better (especially MSN), though the Mac has Adium which is really good, there are also more media players (but iTunes rocks so it's not a biggie).

But on the open source side the Mac software is SO much better, it's much easier to install if it doesn't come built in.

Retired
May 16, 2006
lol wasnt used to it in one week but i was conviced i think pressing F10 and F11 did it for me!

Its called Exposé and I recommend going into System Preferences->Dashboard and Exposé to make it go 'All Windows' when you move your mouse to the bottom left. I also have dashboard (F12) as bottom right. My productivity is doubled by the former then cut in half by the latter...

CoreWeb

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Edge of reason
Except for Shareware/Freeware/Open Source :rolleyes:

But on the open source side the Mac software is SO much better, it's much easier to install if it doesn't come built in.

Though when programming using open source components, it can become kind of annoying (not Mac's fault), because if you want it to work on both Mac and Windows, well... if the component doesn't work on Windows, you can't use it, even if it works on other UNIX systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.