Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keithbennis

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2006
Coral Springs
People need to donate.

Funny how I just ripped Superman Returns without a problem, but it's hanging up when I'm trying to rip See No Evil. I would figure it'd be the other way around. (Big movie compared to smaller, horror movie) :(

It better run smoothly when I try Clerks II when I get home.

the future

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
The developer (geezerbuttz) has clarified how the donations work:

dev said:
If you want to make a donation, send me a personal message to request the information you require.

At the current time Only PayPal , Moneybookers.com or WesternUnion can be accepted or used for payment.

If you Donate via PayPal , please can you donate in Swiss Franks.

I hope this clears up any confusion that has arrisen.

(Btw. I'm not just linking to the info as the forums at ripdifferent.com now require you to register even if you just want to read some threads. A bit annoying, but you should register there anyway as that's the first step to sending geezerbuttz a PM on how to donate... :) )

(Here' the link anyway: http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3861&sid=41ac5f614fab218d02222f03f20b72f4 )

the future

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Fear not, help is on the way! The fundraiser has been successfully completed (thanks to everyone who donated!!) and the dev will now concentrate on delivering that brand new, patchable version of MacTheRipper:

geezerbuttz said:
I will be a bit quiet for the next few weeks. Dont worry still around , will answer mail etc , just going to be busy in code land!

Definitely something to look forward to!

vramin

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2006
Da Vinci Code

Okay, I'll play devil's advocate here. Has anyone tried Fast DVD Copy ? Yes, I realise it's a pay for product and MTR is free, but I suppose it's the fact that he sells it allows him to develop it.

Fast DVD Copy 4.0.5 seems to work on Da Vinci Code. It made a playable rip on my hd. I haven't tried burning it yet.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Interestingly, the movie studios are in the process of aknowledging there are relevant uses for movies other than putting the original disc in a player and pressing 'play' – but only for HD discs. Blu-ray and HD-DVD will allow "managed copys" of the original discs for home servers and mobile devices. Problem 1: they'll probably charge you extra for these copys you make of your own disc. Problem 2: DVDs are left out in the cold, still no "legal" (according to the MPAA's definition) copys possible whatsoever. Original disc damaged – buy another one. No thanks.

Premise: If a DVD gets scratched, they expect you to pay full price to buy a new one.

Conclusion #1: The total purchase price of the DVD goes 100% towards the purchase of the physical asset itself.

Conclustion #2: If 100% of the purchase price is paid towards the purchase of the physical asset, then 0% of the price is paid towards the purchase of the intangible asset, i.e. the intellectual property.

Conlusion #3: The IP is free -- price equals zero. I can rip any DVD I get my hands on and watch it repeatedly without paying the studios a dime. I have not stolen anything because it was already being offered for free.

I know this argument wouldn't stand up in court, but I have the common sense to know that law and morality are not necessarily the same, nor do they converge to the same in practice.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
your rational is crazy. if anyone "backs up" a disc they don't own, they are stealing.

in the age of netflix, peerflix or even just rental, do you really expect film companies to not try block copying?

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
sad, sad, sad

Hey, yet again, another one of so many instances where the windows folks have it better... so many more options, and better options for ripping dvds... the best on mac is mtr, but it's not as good as what the windows guys have... so sad, the mac platform loses again...

I just had a legally purchased movie DVD die on me due to some scratches, and since I didn't have a backup (LIKE I DO WITH ALL MY CDs!!!), I'm SOL... only thing I can do is buy the movie again... really sux that I'm not allowed to rip movie DVDs I purchased and fully paid for... I've had it. From now on, I'm starting to think I should back up all the legal DVDs I own... hmm, maybe it's worth buying a windows laptop just to do this, since it's apparently a huge hassle on a mac...

Here's to hoping the new mtr is better than anything in windows land... but I'm not holding my breath...

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
The current MTR is an excellent application and is much better then the free Windows alternatives (DVD Decrypter / DVD Shrink) so I really don't see what you're complaining about :confused:

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
ummm....

I made a rip of Da Vinci Code with MTR version 2.6.6 and watched the entire thing. It didn't have a problem. Not sure what you guys are talking about.

Can you still dontate? I'd be all about it.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I made a rip of Da Vinci Code with MTR version 2.6.6 and watched the entire thing. It didn't have a problem. Not sure what you guys are talking about.

Can you still dontate? I'd be all about it.

Yeah, 2.66 works for most movies. And yes, you can still donate, just go to the forum, register and there is all the info you need to donate.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I'm just going to step in to remind people that the reason DVD's have copy protection is that it is still illegal to copy DVD's under many countries Copyright Laws.

The Fair Use doctrine in the USA permits the copying of personally owned media to other storage, but inevitably MTR will be used by more unscrupulous types to offer copyright material for download in contravention to the Copyright Law in the US.

Fair Use is not (as far as I know) actually enshrined in law, but has been upheld in court cases in the US.

MacRumors will not support illegal activities and condemns piracy in all forms (including Maritime...).

So, whilst this thread is allowable under the rules of the forums, specific talk of how to circumvent DRM systems for gain will be removed.

I've used MTR on occasion to re-edit material on DVD and prepare video for lectures and I think it's continued development is a good thing for those of us with morals, however the reality is that not everyone is so principled. (You know who you are...).

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Hey, yet again, another one of so many instances where the windows folks have it better... so many more options, and better options for ripping dvds... the best on mac is mtr, but it's not as good as what the windows guys have... so sad, the mac platform loses again...

I just had a legally purchased movie DVD die on me due to some scratches, and since I didn't have a backup (LIKE I DO WITH ALL MY CDs!!!), I'm SOL... only thing I can do is buy the movie again... really sux that I'm not allowed to rip movie DVDs I purchased and fully paid for... I've had it. From now on, I'm starting to think I should back up all the legal DVDs I own... hmm, maybe it's worth buying a windows laptop just to do this, since it's apparently a huge hassle on a mac...

Here's to hoping the new mtr is better than anything in windows land... but I'm not holding my breath...

Can't you just use Bootcamp?

Anyway, you're right. Windows users have it far better than us Mac users in this field. Although MTR and Handbrake are probably better than anything Windows has for user-friendliness, for sheer power and adaptability, the numerous programmes on Windows win out.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I'm just going to step in to remind people that the reason DVD's have copy protection is that it is still illegal to copy DVD's under many countries Copyright Laws.

The Fair Use doctrine in the USA permits the copying of personally owned media to other storage, but inevitably MTR will be used by more unscrupulous types to offer copyright material for download in contravention to the Copyright Law in the US.

Fair Use is not (as far as I know) actually enshrined in law, but has been upheld in court cases in the US.
Couple updates for you. Fair Use is enshrined in law, plus court precedent. I want to say Title 17, but that's just from memory and I don't feel like searching right now, so I can't guarantee that's right. Also, there is the DMCA from 1997 or so that supercedes Fair Use in a way. It is actually illegal to even backup DVDs that you have purchased because of the "not subverting copy protection" clauses in the recent legislation. Really pisses some people off. CDs are not the same, what you described above is true for CD, but not for DVD.

Another option that I am trying is very recent, called Fairmount. I haven't tried it yet on my problem discs that MTR can't do, but I will. Fairmount seems very cool, but it is not as fast. It isn't exactly a ripper program, it just blocks the CP so VLC can read the disc as if it had no CP. This allows you to do a simple Finder copy to rip the disc. You need to have VLC for it to work, IIRC.

I've been not ripping DVDs for years, but my kids are not behaving as well as I would like with their discs. So I have just jumped into backing them all up. They can trash a DVDR instead of my legal, purchased DVDs.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I am in. Thanks for bringing this to light. I use the application and I enjoy it so yeah, it's worth my cash.

Isaacsheff

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2007
Bad Sectors Problem

I've got several new DVDs (pirates 2, Narnia) that all have the same "problem." They have "bad sectors." I have not yet burned them, but when I play the video TS folder in VLC, There is something wrong with the very beginning of the movie, and it stops playing. If I start five seconds in, it's fine. I don't get it. Can MTR fix this, or is it something I did?

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
I've got several new DVDs (pirates 2, Narnia) that all have the same "problem." They have "bad sectors." I have not yet burned them, but when I play the video TS folder in VLC, There is something wrong with the very beginning of the movie, and it stops playing. If I start five seconds in, it's fine. I don't get it. Can MTR fix this, or is it something I did?

I copied both movies with MTR/DVD2ONE/TOAST successfully.

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
I use bootcamp and I have the latest version of AnyDVD and DVDShrink. I am able to back up all DVD's even those from Sony, which are the most difficult to do.

That is the only reason I use bootcamp at the moment. I really wish I could use the mac for this.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
not to get off topic but how do u rip a dvd to play into itunes, mine comes up with the dvd files, but I dont know what to do with those

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
i admit i use mtr sometimes (ripping my dvds for trips). i would probably get flamed for this, but, i would love to help but not financially, because it is not possible at the moment.

if there is another way to help out, (testing maybe?) i would love to know how.

I am in the same boat as you are financially. Hopefully this year will be better. Good luck red.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC

MacRumors will not support illegal activities and condemns piracy in all forms (including Maritime...).

So, whilst this thread is allowable under the rules of the forums, specific talk of how to circumvent DRM systems for gain will be removed.

I've used MTR on occasion to re-edit material on DVD and prepare video for lectures and I think it's continued development is a good thing for those of us with morals, however the reality is that not everyone is so principled. (You know who you are...).

I just don't understand it really I don't. You can copy a movie off of the tv but you can't copy a dvd.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC

I tried CARS today it had bad sectors on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.