Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

necropunk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
London
greets.

does anyone knows when will it be available ?

anywaay, where can i get the latest version ?

oh, and my macbook pro has finally arrived.

one more happy switcher on the way ::cool:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Also, FWIW, MtR works fine in emulated mode in Intel Macs - a bit slower, but really not all that bad.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
buryyourbrideau said:
For ripping something, i would much rather use a UB then run it in rosetta.

whatever youre into though is fine for you.
Oh, I agree - UB would be preferable. I was merely noting that it would run under Rosetta without severe performance penalties.

sabor

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2006
I've tried the UB of MTR and it is very similar in speed in terms for ripping a DVD on my MBP, so you are really not missing much.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
sabor said:
I've tried the UB of MTR and it is very similar in speed in terms for ripping a DVD on my MBP, so you are really not missing much.

Makes sense cause the program's biggest bottleneck is most likely your optical drive. Especially in a Macbook Pro. I doubt that the UB will make that much of a difference.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
apunkrockmonk said:
Makes sense cause the program's biggest bottleneck is most likely your optical drive. Especially in a Macbook Pro. I doubt that the UB will make that much of a difference.

exactly. I own a macbook pro with 2GHZ cpu and 7200rpm HDD, and i still get 41mins with the UB version I downloaded (R13 beta) for a 7.60GB dvd.

Nervetheless, here's the good news: it takes 15 minutes for the same dvd to rip from an external USB 2.0 drive, surely about the same in firewire.
If I were my external burner's manufacturer I would put a nice "3x faster" sticker like one of these.

Attachments

• index23x20060109.gif
    index23x20060109.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 8,710

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I was on MTRs site last night and they are still working on a UB for the Intels with a but...don't keep asking "when" as they are testing to get it right with an asap. The maker wants to release the next version without problems ;)
So with that said you can look on VersionTracker for the last release 2.6.6 and download it from Macworlds mirror :D

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
the UB MTR is not just compiled as a UB, but it also has a lot of improvements that will rip newer DVDs that have various copy-protection measures on them...

now, the problem with this update is that the developer is only allowing people to test the new versions if they make a donation...that in itself is not so bad. but if the finished app is to be free (as it's purported to be), why would the developer ever want to release it if people are giving him all these donations?

i'm not criticizing him...i would probably do the same. but don't hold your breath for a UB version anytime soon. IMHO, people will donate if they feel it is useful...the handbrake developer and the isquint developer both seem to get donations if/when they need new hardware for development...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.