Mac to PC webcam compliant apps.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Fardogg, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Fardogg macrumors newbie

Hey I'm trying to figure out what kind of apps I can use to have a webcam chat with someone on a PC while I'm on a mac, as well what kind of webcams would work best for each of us? Thanks

2. Jopling macrumors 6502

Program would be iChat (Mac) to AIM (Windows). Keep in mind you should both have the latest version of each program. I'd also like to mention that Trillian (Windows) is a very nice looking app that I have gotten video chat to work with iChat. As far as cameras go, the iSight is terriffic. I'd reccomend a Logitech for your Windows machine. The iSight is not supported for Windows, but will work.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Mercury IM for your Mac. :)

Don't know what to say about cameras though. I have a camera (a Samsung Trution) that may not work because it doesn't say Mac Compatible on it. I dunno. I even started a thread about it in Mac Peripherals.

4. Likelife macrumors newbie

Are there Windows drivers for iSight? Or, does XP support it out of the box? I'm looking to get a webcam that will work on both my XP desktop and my future iBook/Powerbook (which I'm buying anydaynow). Would the iSight fit my purposes?

5. Jopling macrumors 6502

Windows will utilize the iSight only for video, no audio. The video is also very poor quality on a windows machine from what I have experienced with my iSight.