Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fardogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Hey I'm trying to figure out what kind of apps I can use to have a webcam chat with someone on a PC while I'm on a mac, as well what kind of webcams would work best for each of us? Thanks

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Fardogg said:
Hey I'm trying to figure out what kind of apps I can use to have a webcam chat with someone on a PC while I'm on a mac, as well what kind of webcams would work best for each of us? Thanks

Program would be iChat (Mac) to AIM (Windows). Keep in mind you should both have the latest version of each program. I'd also like to mention that Trillian (Windows) is a very nice looking app that I have gotten video chat to work with iChat. As far as cameras go, the iSight is terriffic. I'd reccomend a Logitech for your Windows machine. The iSight is not supported for Windows, but will work.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Mercury IM for your Mac. :)

Don't know what to say about cameras though. I have a camera (a Samsung Trution) that may not work because it doesn't say Mac Compatible on it. I dunno. I even started a thread about it in Mac Peripherals.

Likelife

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2005
Jopling said:
The iSight is not supported for Windows, but will work.

Are there Windows drivers for iSight? Or, does XP support it out of the box? I'm looking to get a webcam that will work on both my XP desktop and my future iBook/Powerbook (which I'm buying anydaynow). Would the iSight fit my purposes?

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Windows will utilize the iSight only for video, no audio. The video is also very poor quality on a windows machine from what I have experienced with my iSight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.