Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Hello Guys,

So I'm officially moving from Windows to Mac because I'm kind of fully done with Windows ramping up too much heat for sub-par performance [or in some cases even more power than the norm and lags behind macs] so I've moved to a MBP 16" M3 Max with 16/40 && 48GB and 1TB.

Shortcuts and such are fine, I can quickly adapt to that through some googling.
Thing is with regards to file storage, I've noticed they put the pictures in some arbitrary folder on the mac internal storage [1TB].
With Windows I can paste a file directory and then go from there and search where a folder is at locally.
However Mac is different, you can't paste a file directory eg : C:/Photos/Lightroom/2023-12-23 for example and then access the folder directly. Would have to go into lightroom, then double click the file and go to Look in Finder option.

This is just an initial hurdle with mac but as soon as I familiarize with this it'll be easier to go from there. Any tips or advice with this or shortcuts that I should know to find files quicker.

Kind Regards,

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
In Finder you can go to folder and paste the folder name and hit enter and it opens. It will say the relevant shortcut next to it. I always forget it or confuse it with connect to server shortcut.

Reactions: UnifiedMelody

UnifiedMelody

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
In Finder you can go to folder and paste the folder name and hit enter and it opens. It will say the relevant shortcut next to it. I always forget it or confuse it with connect to server shortcut.
thank you casperes. I think I figured it out.

Whilst it doesn't have a "This PC" and a C:/ Drive like the typical windows... at least im able to set the path bar under View sub-option drop down in finder. just a lot of trial and erroring with mac i suppose... as i get used to the new CNTRL OPTION CMD buttons :)

Lightroom stuff is stored under pictures now; got it.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
thank you casperes. I think I figured it out.

Whilst it doesn't have a "This PC" and a C:/ Drive like the typical windows... at least im able to set the path bar under View sub-option drop down in finder. just a lot of trial and erroring with mac i suppose... as i get used to the new CNTRL OPTION CMD buttons :)

Lightroom stuff is stored under pictures now; got it.
The equivalent of C:\ is very simply just /. The root of the system. Your user content is in /Users/yourusername/. Plugging in other drives will automatically mount them in /Volumes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.