Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I'm sorry if this question has been asked a million times before, but I haven't been able to find any detailed instructions on how to set this sort of thing up. Here's my setup:
networksetupqx9.png

The Windows PC (Windows XP) is connected via cable to the router (3Com 3CRWE554G72) while the Mac (iMac with MacOS 10.5.4) connects wirelessly (airport) to the same router. A WEP password is used for security. Both computers currently connect to the Internet without any problem.

But what I want to do now is be able to send files between the computer (e.g. I've got a file on the Windows desktop and want the Mac to have it without having to burn a CD or send it as an email attachement).
Naturally I don't want anyone from the "outside" to have access to any of those files. If necessary I'm OK with shutting off/on this internal network as needed as I only need to transfer files now and then.

Are there any good step by step guides for this sort of thing, which covers the setup for both computers?

grillo

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
I just joined MacRumors because exactly the same problem, doesn't anyone have any help to offer ?

macstatic did you figure out what you had to do?

TIA
Grillo

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
WEP is not security. You need WPA2 for security.

Next time, please read the guides on the site before posting questions that are already answered.
http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X

General idea:

You need to have a password on your windows machine, then you can specify specific folders for file sharing. (You need to look up how to share files with windows, as it's not intuitive at all.)

Once that's set up, within seconds, OSX can then see the shared folders on the network.

Other guides here
https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/78/

grillo

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
Ok,

I'm not a computer newbie, but I don't have Directory Access on my mac, can't find it even in spotlight, I have Directory and Directory Utility, which I thought it will be the same, but it don't have a a SMB option (do I have to install it? I have a brand new Imac which I started to use 'out of the box'.

So withouth SMB I can't change mine windows workgroup here.

Please advice this switching user (desperate)

TIA

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
I have a similar problem. However, I can access my Mac from my Windows, but the Windows PCs don't show up in my Shared tab or Network in Finder.
Also can't find a network printer on the network.
Its really frustrating and seems to be an issue wit Leopard.

Also make sure you do the following:
System > Network > Create new Location > Airport > Advanced > WINS tab enter the Windows Workgroup.

That helps but still don't show up in my finder.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Ok,

I'm not a computer newbie, but I don't have Directory Access on my mac, can't find it even in spotlight, I have Directory and Directory Utility, which I thought it will be the same, but it don't have a a SMB option (do I have to install it? I have a brand new Imac which I started to use 'out of the box'.

So withouth SMB I can't change mine windows workgroup here.

Please advice this switching user (desperate)

TIA

For file sharing SMB you have to go to
System Prefs > Sharing > and tick on File Sharing
Click Options and Check the SMB. Also if you want to access the Windows completely you can logon using your Account and Password.
Also can log on from a Windows computer as a guest which has controlled file sharing.
Hope that helps, but I still have issues LOL with my networking :(

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
WEP is not security. You need WPA2 for security.

Next time, please read the guides on the site before posting questions that are already answered.
http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X

General idea:

You need to have a password on your windows machine, then you can specify specific folders for file sharing. (You need to look up how to share files with windows, as it's not intuitive at all.)

Once that's set up, within seconds, OSX can then see the shared folders on the network.

Other guides here
https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/78/
Let's leave the mods to deal with telling people what they can post...No need to be a forum douche.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.