Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
Hey everyone -
I posted this on the .apple support page and haven't heard anything yet....

I'm having a problem installing the .mac software. (I just purchased my G5 on saturday!). When I click the install button, it runs a program to see if it can install it on the computer and an error message comes up that says:

iCal cannot be installed on this computer.

Please quit iCal before running this installer.

So...I quit iCal (which wasn't running in the first place) and tried again. Still, nothing. I rebooted and nothing. I've been trying several things since Saturday and can't figure it out. I called tech support and the guy there didn't know anything about it. He told me to check the documents listed here (which I'd already done) and I can't find anything.

Any ideas?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
So it already has iCal installed? Does it have the other iApps installed (which I presume is what you mean by .Mac apps)? If so why are you trying to reinstall them?

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
The machine only has the stuff installed that came with it out of the factory, and iLife. That's just the error message that appears...but I don't have iDisk or anything else yet.

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by masterjedi73
The machine only has the stuff installed that came with it out of the factory, and iLife. That's just the error message that appears...but I don't have iDisk or anything else yet.

You don't need to install anything to use .Mac.

Go to the Apple Menu, and System Preferences. Click the .Mac icon, and enter your username/password. Now you have access to your iDisk and everything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.