.mac won't install

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by masterjedi73, Jan 27, 2004.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Hey everyone -
    I posted this on the .apple support page and haven't heard anything yet....

I'm having a problem installing the .mac software. (I just purchased my G5 on saturday!). When I click the install button, it runs a program to see if it can install it on the computer and an error message comes up that says:

iCal cannot be installed on this computer.

Please quit iCal before running this installer.

So...I quit iCal (which wasn't running in the first place) and tried again. Still, nothing. I rebooted and nothing. I've been trying several things since Saturday and can't figure it out. I called tech support and the guy there didn't know anything about it. He told me to check the documents listed here (which I'd already done) and I can't find anything.

Any ideas?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So it already has iCal installed? Does it have the other iApps installed (which I presume is what you mean by .Mac apps)? If so why are you trying to reinstall them?

3. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

The machine only has the stuff installed that came with it out of the factory, and iLife. That's just the error message that appears...but I don't have iDisk or anything else yet.

4. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

You don't need to install anything to use .Mac.

Go to the Apple Menu, and System Preferences. Click the .Mac icon, and enter your username/password. Now you have access to your iDisk and everything else.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Also, iCal and just about every other Apple app is updated from Software Update, so run that, which you should do anyway.