Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raiderz182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
north philly
ok here are a few questions :

do you have a .mac and find it useful?
when you bought it, did you also have to pay another 99 dollars after that for the annual fee. Or does it include your first year also?
are the servers fast? bandwith-wise?
are there any bandwith caps

ty

-edit : it says $69.95 on the price, but on the buying / customize page, theres no box that lets you check to add it to your list!
anyone know why?

jamesatzones

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
Seattle
.Mac is for cool people

First off, I love my .Mac account. I find it very useful with iSync, being able to use my bookmarks on my Windoz machine at work, the web space and all the free programs.

Second, you do have to renew at $99, but then again I still feel it is worth it.

Thridly, the servers are fairly fast, they have increased in speed in recent months from my perspective.

And forth, I have no idea what the cap is on bandwidth.

Sing up for the free trail, use the e-mail, the free apps. I am sure if you are a Mac person that you will like it...

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Someone asks this question on a fairly regular basis and generally you get a mixture of replies from those that use it and think it's great, those that use a 'roll-your-own' solution and consequently don't need it and those who think it is far too expensive and for the $99 should include a free copy of that years version of OS X.

My own take is that I do use it and although it is rather overpriced it's ease of use and simplicity make it worthwhile. It's only worthwhile if you use all or most of it's features. If you only want it for email for example then there's much better deals.

The only way to decide is to try for yourself. You can get a trial membership for free. See what you think - only you can decide whether it's worth $99 to you.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I don't want you to be misled about the cost -- I think I'm right in assuming that you're worried that you would have to pay $99 on top of the "purchase rpice". That isn't the case. The purchase of .mac is actually your first year's subscription. You won't have to pay $99 until that first year is up.

Hope I haven't confused you too much ;)

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
I maintain some basic web sites with pictures of my family. I send the links to family and friends so they can see how and what we are doing. I also hot sync my palm with iSync and .Mac and backup all my critical files to .mac using Backup. I also love the sync feature in Panther that allows me to work with iDisk as a local volume and them sync the changes later.

Additionally, I use the Mail account to access home mail from the office, bookmarks, address book, iSight....the list goes on and on. My computing/Mac experience would not be the same without it. I pay more annually for TV channels that I never watch so the price is not that big a deal for me....it is worth it.

One thing though. I started using it more and more the longer I had it. It seems that Apple is giving us more ways to incorporate it into our computing experience so I am excited about the future of it.

IMHO

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
When you purchase a new Mac, then you can get .Mac for $69 for the first year. The renewal for the 2nd year then will be $99. My hope is that they will add more features.

My wife has .Mac, she loves the service. She uses it for the Mail, also loves the games.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Got it the first year, just re-upped again. It was "okay" before, but with Panther it's an exceptional solution. There's almost no lag in copying files either way, so now I can ACTUALLY USE it as a working server. The homepage is easy and suits my needs to let my family out east see pics, the iSync works, I don't use Backup (Retrospect), I like the e-mail address, I like the perks... it's just a good thing. Dot-Mac is definately worth the $99.00. I didn't even bother with the ed rate (10 pack at 49.00), just got it on my own.
Nothing too fancy at /leskern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.