Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newtomacblah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Hi all,

I have just purchased my first Mac (have been using an iMac at work for quite a while)......got the 1.83 GHz MacBook. Originally I wanted to get the 2.0 GHz White model.....but it is on back order at most places. My question is....does it really make a huge difference? I am using it mainly for Internet (browsing, iChat, etc.), so nothing intensive like gaming or photo editing. Would this work for me?? And should I upgrade the RAM??

Thanks!!!

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
With what you're doing, you probably wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference between the 1.83 and 2.0GHz processors.

I might suggest upgrading the RAM to at least a gig, though, as OS X loves RAM. If you're not planning on upgrading again, 2x512 would work. If you think you may want to max it out sometime in the future, perhaps buy a 1 gig chip now and then you just have to buy a second one later.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
newtomacblah said:
So the RAM's doesn't have to match?

Not really. In some areas, the performance may be less, but not enough to bother you. I would get the base 512 in the MacBook, then buy one 1GB chip and put that in one of the slots. That would give me 1.25GB of RAM. If I ever wanted to upgrade to 2 GB, I just remove the 256MB chip and put in another 1GB chip.

I am looking into buying the MacBook, but I am forced to buy the 2.0Ghz model. Personally, I don't think a couple hundred Mhz will make a difference for me. The reason I need to get the 2.0Ghz is because I need the SuperDrive. I wish I could get the cheaper model and just pay extra for the SuperDrive, I need to save as much money as I can.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
CoMpX said:
I am looking into buying the MacBook, but I am forced to buy the 2.0Ghz model. Personally, I don't think a couple hundred Mhz will make a difference for me. The reason I need to get the 2.0Ghz is because I need the SuperDrive. I wish I could get the cheaper model and just pay extra for the SuperDrive, I need to save as much money as I can.

Is an external burner a possibility for you? That would be cheaper, and an external would be much better than the superdrive in the MB.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
xfiftyfour said:
Is an external burner a possibility for you? That would be cheaper, and an external would be much better than the superdrive in the MB.

Yeah, isn't it a 4x drive? I would much rather have a FW400 external 16x dual layer drive, even if that meant I sometimes had to bring it places with me. Also handy because you can share it across other Macs.

Is there still a problem with external drives and burning in iDVD?

newtomacblah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks u all for the responses....wow...so impressed with members of this forum already!! :D

One more question, when will I be able to tell the difference between 1.83 and 2.0....like running what kinda programs? :confused:

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
newtomacblah said:
Thanks u all for the responses....wow...so impressed with members of this forum already!! :D

One more question, when will I be able to tell the difference between 1.83 and 2.0....like running what kinda programs? :confused:

If nothing intensive, then the short list would be in benchmarks . . .

Although running applications through Rosetta is quite power-needy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.