Macbook 1.83 or 2.0Ghz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alfonzo, May 19, 2006.

1. Alfonzo macrumors newbie

Hey guys, i'm about to buy my first mac, beign a macbook. Now i'm not a power user an almos never create DVD's. Now i dont know if i should buy the 2.0 ghz model with the superdrive or stay with the base system and save the 200 for 2gigs of ram. I ussually do work in office and browse a lot the internet doing research as I'm a biology major, any suggestions on what to do. Is the 0.17 ghz be really that different?

2. tristan macrumors 6502a

Forget about the minor speed difference. Do you need a Combo drive or a Superdrive? That's the main upgrade between the two models.

3. Alfonzo thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what i said, i dont need a superdrive just now, anyways i could always buy an external dvd writer right that will work with iDVD right?

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

For you, I recommend going with the 1.83GHz MacBook and using the saved money to buy more RAM (check out www.datamem.com or www.crucial.com ). I think that you will notice the extra RAM more than you would the extra MHz. :)

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yep, an external DVD should work fine.

6. Alfonzo thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, since I'm from Puerto Rico, and we only have Apple resellers and no Apple Stores, the 1.83ghz will arrive in a week and the other models will not arrive for a month or more....

7. tristan macrumors 6502a

Yes, you said that you don't burn DVDs. Then definitely get the base MB , load up on RAM, and then vaya con dios mi hermano, you'll have a hell of a computer por no mucho dinero.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

All the more reason to go with the 1.83GHz MacBook Alfonzo. :)

9. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

100% get the 1.83ghz, the increased processor speed of the 2.0ghz model wont really be noticable and you can burn DVD's via an external SUperdrive which is probably better than the internal anyway.

ShadoW

10. lucab1982 macrumors member

Seconded!