Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shrinepillar

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2013
SE London, UK
MacBook 13'' Magsafe charging problem / weird behaviour

First time on (any forum) but with the genius at my Apple Store testing my MBP (it's a late 2011, 13'') with every possible combination of their Macs, my Magsafe, their Magsafe my Mac) he concluded that being out warranty he couldn't help.

If you have the same problem as me; that is, Magsafe when connected to power and MBP it either
1 shows neither colour LED - and doesn't charge
2 shows Green and doesn't charge
3 behaves normally

The iGenius told me the moving connector pins are in the adapter - the socket on the MBP is the magnetic 'mirrored' connection (so you can plug in 'upside down'). I offer this bizarre solution, with apparently no logic in it as I have same problem but this fix works for me:

Normal magsafe charging for me ONLY works when
1 power adapter has been turned off (unplugged) even if just for a second - it's not hot.
2Plug Magsafe into MBP
3 Last step, plug adapter back in

Tried retracting pins with magnet, cleaning with compressed air, but after two months am now used to it. Hope someone might find this useful.

hax3xpl0it

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2018
I was having the issue once my Macbook used to heat up with L MegaSafe 65w adapter but charge properly without giving light green led Now I am using branded U MegaSafe 85W now it is giving me problem by brining it to light green sometimes. I think that might be your adapter problem...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.