Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Anyone with MacBook 2015 try upgrading to Ventura with OpenCore Legacy Patcher? How were the results?

Is it running slow? Overheating etc?

MacOS Big Sur seems to run well with the latest patches. Looking forward to next’s week’s update along with Ventura and Monterey.

Anyone noticed any issues or limitations? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: rm5

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Not sure what a legacy patcher is, but I am running Ventura as a straight forward download from the Apple Store and it seems to work fine, no issues here.

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Not sure what a legacy patcher is, but I am running Ventura as a straight forward download from the Apple Store and it seems to work fine, no issues here.
Maybe you do not have MacBook 2015, for it cannot load macOS Ventura. The last OS it can run is macOS Big Sur.

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
Anyone with MacBook 2015 try upgrading to Ventura with OpenCore Legacy Patcher? How were the results?

Is it running slow? Overheating etc?

MacOS Big Sur seems to run well with the latest patches. Looking forward to next’s week’s update along with Ventura and Monterey.

Anyone noticed any issues or limitations? Thanks in advance!
I've read a few posts about people trying it with a 2015 macbook pro and most agree that it isn't worth the effort. I would imagine the same would be true with a 2015 macbook

Reactions: loby

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
I've read a few posts about people trying it with a 2015 macbook pro and most agree that it isn't worth the effort. I would imagine the same would be true with a 2015 macbook
I took the plunge and installed Ventura on my MacBook 2015 with OpenCore Patcher 6.6...

It runs faster than Big Sur which is the last native macOS install. Doesn't look like any hindrances with it so far. Everything seems to be running good without missing anything. Checked OpenCore Patcher's website and under supported machines for the patch, MacBook 2015 runs everything.

Will try it out for awhile and see how it goes, but so far to my surprise it runs good!

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
I took the plunge and installed Ventura on my MacBook 2015 with OpenCore Patcher 6.6...

It runs faster than Big Sur which is the last native macOS install. Doesn't look like any hindrances with it so far. Everything seems to be running good without missing anything. Checked OpenCore Patcher's website and under supported machines for the patch, MacBook 2015 runs everything.

Will try it out for awhile and see how it goes, but so far to my surprise it runs good!
Thats great news! I might give it a shot when support for Monterey ends. Thanks for the update!

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Thats great news! I might give it a shot when support for Monterey ends. Thanks for the update!
Then why do you need to replace it?
Like some of the features in Ventura. But I am going back to Big Sur. Works faster, but runs hotter (though TG Pro states that everything is running cool).

I do not want to take the chance of overheating. I just replaced the battery and it is running well. With the OpenCore Patcher, after install, you cannot change the power management. It stays on whatever you had it before the upgrade (I upgraded instead of clean install). You have to upgrade and first load apps that use the that use microphone and camera or it would enable in Ventura.

Kind of bummed, for it ran great and fast, but don't want to take the chance with power management.

Reactions: schnaps

danielristic

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022
With the OpenCore Patcher, after install, you cannot change the power management.

Hey, not sure what you mean, could you expand on that? Thinking of trying out Ventura too.

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
FYI - With the latest Open Core Patcher 1.2.1, I am currently running macOS Ventura and it is fast and really good!

The developers updated the graphic drivers and a few other things and it runs better than macOS Big Sur on MacBook 2015.

Many thanks to the Open Core Patcher development team!

danielristic

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022
Thanks, I'm giving Ventura a try (I was on Monterey previously)!

Just curious if the continuity camera feature works for you (the ability to use your iPhone's camera as a webcam in FaceTime)?

I didn't find anywhere that says it shouldn't and I can see my iPhone under Video > Cameras but everytime I try to switch to it nothing happens.

danielristic

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022
Answering my own question in case anyone gets the same issue:

I installed Camo Studio which is an app that is supposed to do the same thing, which didn't work. But now the regular continuity camera works in FaceTime. Not sure what happened but glad it's working now!

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Thanks, I'm giving Ventura a try (I was on Monterey previously)!

Just curious if the continuity camera feature works for you (the ability to use your iPhone's camera as a webcam in FaceTime)?

I didn't find anywhere that says it shouldn't and I can see my iPhone under Video > Cameras but everytime I try to switch to it nothing happens.
No, it is not working on MacBook 2015. I guess this feature is not available yet with Open Core Patcher. It hooks up to the iPhone, but just a black screen.

danielristic

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022
No, it is not working on MacBook 2015. I guess this feature is not available yet with Open Core Patcher. It hooks up to the iPhone, but just a black screen.

I'm not sure how but I just got it working on my MBP Early 2015 :

The only two things I did is briefly connect my phone to the mac using a cable (it asked me to install some OS software update thing) and then install Camo Studio (an app that is supposed to provide an alternative way to achieve the same thing with a virtual camera), which didn't install correctly: when first launching the app, it said something like "installation is unsuccessful please reboot to fix" but after rebooting a couple of times it does the same thing.

But then I tried to launch FaceTime again and select my phone and boom it worked.

I can only assume that part of installing that app consists of adding some OS extension that makes it work.

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
I plugged in the cable and downloaded the iPhone extension drivers (or whatever it is) that prompted me to download from Apple and rebooted my MacBook 2015.

I then tried to use my iPhone with Zoom and FaceTime and it works! I am able to use now my iPhone SE with the Mac using Open Core Patcher.

Thank you for the recommendation!

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
Man you are incredible. Ventura for me runs horrible on my 2017 base model. Also don't like the system config.

I have Big Sur right now and works well. Not at the level of Catalina but better than Monterrey/Ventura

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Man you are incredible. Ventura for me runs horrible on my 2017 base model. Also don't like the system config.

I have Big Sur right now and works well. Not at the level of Catalina but better than Monterrey/Ventura
Big Sur runs good on my 2015 model also, but with Open Core Patcher, macOS runs great. The 2017 model should run native with Ventura. Maybe I just have a good 2015 model and got lucky. :)

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Also..love your icon aespana :). Rush was a great bad in the day.

capolimac

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2024
Writing it on Venture on 2015 rMBP integrated gpu.
It seems slower and the fan louder meaning higher temp. Even writing this post there is a lag sometimes. quite noticable. I probably go back to Monterey.

Reactions: schnaps

danielristic

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022
Be careful when comparing performance, on a fresh install it will take a while (multiple hours depending on your disk size) for all spotlight indexation tasks/ filevault encryption to finish, resulting in degraded performance. During all my tests I always made sure to at least let the computer on overnight before I could make any comparisons.

Reactions: loby

capolimac

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2024
Agreed, however it's been two days I upgraded. Now back on 12, noticeably smoother and more SILENT. Maybe some video driver is not well written/fixed on 13 by OCP

danielristic

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022
That's strange, I have an early 2015 MBP and switching from 12 to 13, didn't notice any significant change in performance. I have the i7 3,1 GHz version with 16Gb of RAM.

capolimac

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2024
I have Mid15. The only thing I could think of is the Migration process which I did after install and post patch completed. Did you do migration with TimeMachine? Montenery is so much faster now I'm back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.