Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
I've noticed that at 190 cycles my battery now holds 78% of its original capacity. Under Apple Care I would be eligible for a battery replacement. However, I am reluctant to proceed.

The battery is glued to the bottom case, and to replace the battery, I assume that Apple swaps the entire bottom case with a generic one, on which the machine's serial number is missing. That bothers me, especially for resale value.

To anybody that has had their battery replaced: am I correct in assuming that the bottom case gets swapped with a generic one?

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
The lack of responses to my question is in some sense encouraging: it indicates that very few have actually had their battery replaced in their rMB!

iscajal

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Counter-anecdote: My first 2015MB has had a broken battery as well, with charge level dropping to <80% after the first few months. Seeing that it also had keyboard issues, they swapped the whole device, so the serial number print was correct after that. :D

If in doubt, I cant imagine a small stencil print on the bottom would affect resale, esp. if explained with a new battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.