Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Ok I have the other option to get either a Macbook and upgrade to 2gb of ram or a Macbook C2D 1gb. My question is what would be the speed difference if any? which one would you rather get?

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
There is no question here. Get the Core 2 Duo MacBook. RAM can always be upgraded later. The processor cannot. Additionally, the Core 2 Duo MB is a better build quality and does not suffer from a lot of issues affecting the CD MB. Enjoy your new MB!

Cheers!

schmintan

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
il second that opinion. get the C2D. i have read numerous threads with complaints and issues regarding the Core Duo, and most of these issues seem to have been resolved in the C2D 2nd gen MBP's

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Also apparently C2Ds run slightly cooler and aren't as hot to the touch. Plus they are 64 bit. An extra gig of ram these days will run you 100$ or less so I wouldn't worry about that.

other

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2005
I'm also going to vote for the C2D MacBook, because unlike the CD version, it supports 802.11n. Even if you don't need it now, it might be good to have in the future (unless the final version will become uncompatible with the current draft).

Chimaera

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2002
I would suggest going for the Core2Duo for a couple of reasons:

1) Its effectively rev-B hardware and has improved on the problems inherent in the original Core Duo release (most notably in terms of heat - the new ones run a *lot* cooler)

2) Can easily upgrade the RAM later if your budget won't stretch to it (I've just bought a macbook C2D, stuck all the apps I want on it and its still bloody quick - I'd originally planned on adding an extra gig but for the time being I'm not going to bother - as it stands I don't need it).

Or to be more brief - Core2Duo for all the reasons suggested by the above posts :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.