Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hahjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2006
So I bought a MacBook for my parents to stop them watching so much TV. Got them into iTunes and iPhoto (you know, the consumer level stuff that they can easily enjoy) to introduce them into the world of OSX.

The computer shipped with 512MB RAM, which I decided to upgrade to 2GB for them - to make sure the computer wouldn't need replacing for a while.

I whip the old RAM out and stick in the 2x1GB from Crucial and... the computer runs slower with the Crucial RAM – as in it can’t even open a finder window without lagging, the minimize ‘animation’ might as well not happen cause it lags so much that you don’t even see it. I have been faffing around trying to fix the problem. I rang Crucial who told me to re-install the OS (why would that help? - well I did it anyway and it didn't). I did an Xbench test, which I know isn't a great test, but I got a score of 9.61 (!), with the RAM check receiving a whopping 6.36 – for 2GB!

My question is this...
Is there anyone else who has had problems upgrading the RAM. Have Apple put something in that makes non-Apple RAM die, do Crucial not actually know how to make RAM or is it that I was amazingly sent 2 faulty chips?

I am at a loss. If anyone could shed some light on the issue I would be most grateful.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Sounds like either bad RAM, or its not stead properly. Try the Apple Hardware Test (even though its rubbish, it may shed some light on the problem).

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
hahjr said:
So I bought a MacBook for my parents to stop them watching so much TV. Got them into iTunes and iPhoto (you know, the consumer level stuff that they can easily enjoy) to introduce them into the world of OSX.

The computer shipped with 512MB RAM, which I decided to upgrade to 2GB for them - to make sure the computer wouldn't need replacing for a while.

I whip the old RAM out and stick in the 2x1GB from Crucial and... the computer runs slower with the Crucial RAM – as in it can’t even open a finder window without lagging, the minimize ‘animation’ might as well not happen cause it lags so much that you don’t even see it. I have been faffing around trying to fix the problem. I rang Crucial who told me to re-install the OS (why would that help? - well I did it anyway and it didn't). I did an Xbench test, which I know isn't a great test, but I got a score of 9.61 (!), with the RAM check receiving a whopping 6.36 – for 2GB!

My question is this...
Is there anyone else who has had problems upgrading the RAM. Have Apple put something in that makes non-Apple RAM die, do Crucial not actually know how to make RAM or is it that I was amazingly sent 2 faulty chips?

I am at a loss. If anyone could shed some light on the issue I would be most grateful.

Bad RAM, without a doubt. And I don't think Apple has specifically engineered its hardware to not work with non-Apple hardware. That'd be especially silly as Apple a) doesn't make the RAM in the first place (at the moment I think its Samsung), and b) reguarly changes its RAM manufacturer, so if they engineered week 10 Macbooks not to work with Crucial RAM, they'd be royally screwed if they later changed their supplier to Crucial!

To be honest, I was very paranoid after I put in 2GB of Corsair Value RAM that I had recieved bad RAM, but I'm now pretty sure it's good RAM. I still feel that the RAM I put in myself is not as fast as the RAM that came with my Macbook, but only marginally so. However, I have a huge iTunes library, and will use Photoshop loads, and will be using the Macromedia suite, so 2GB will definitely end up the better choice.

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
I upgraded my MacBook to 1GB when I bought it and it flies - I got the actual Apple RAM (as in upgraded in the factory) which in hindsight is ridiculously expensive, but hey, my first Mac I wanted to go without a hitch.

Are you sure the RAM speed is the same as the RAM Apple supply as standard. it's DDR2, but I'm not sure what speed - go check that out.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Most likely bad ram. Download memtest and run it from the command line on single user boot (hold down command S on boot). I'd let it run all night, do 10-15 passes through the test.

You should NEVER have slower speeds after a ram upgrade, if you do you probably have either bad ram or the wrong kind, most likely the wrong speed. Either way, get ahold of the ram seller and make sure they get it right.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
mattjgalloway said:
Are you sure the RAM speed is the same as the RAM Apple supply as standard. it's DDR2, but I'm not sure what speed - go check that out.
Yeah, show us exactly what you bought. Perhaps you don't have the right memory in your 'book.

I bought an extra 1GB from Crucial for my PowerBook, and runs great alongside the original 512MB that came with the machine so you can't really say (at least as far as PowerBook's go) that Mac's don't run well on "non-Apple" RAM.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I upgraded my MacBook with two sticks of TwinMOS RAM from a PC supplier, the cheapest brand of RAM I could find. No problem whatsoever... my MacBook is insanely fast...

I guess you have (at least) one bad RAM module.

Stupid question: Have you checked that both RAM modules are recognised at all, i.e. that you don't run on 1GB + "worse than nothing"?

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
You made mention that what are the chances you got two bad sticks. It does not take two bad sticks to slwo her down. One of them can be bad and it will slow the whole thing down regardless of what you have in the other slot. I had this happen on an iMac before and several customers. As he mentioned before try one at a time. Another thing to do is sometimes simply remove the ram and put it back i. Sometimes a simple reseat will do the trick. (also happened on an iMac of mine) :)

Kevin

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I put a 1GB stick of Corsair Value RAM in my MB and it's a massive improvement. I'll be going for another one as soon as I can afford it.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Unspeaked said:
While we're on this subject, is there a good Freeware application that will test the RAM on Intel Macs?

milo said:
Most likely bad ram. Download memtest and run it from the command line on single user boot (hold down command S on boot). I'd let it run all night, do 10-15 passes through the test.

You should NEVER have slower speeds after a ram upgrade, if you do you probably have either bad ram or the wrong kind, most likely the wrong speed. Either way, get ahold of the ram seller and make sure they get it right.

Memtest

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.