Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Why wouldn't it? It's luck of the draw, there's no way to know what you're going to get until you get it.

No duh. I suppose ordering a BTO and then returning it if it doesn't have the hardware you want is one way of handling this. Eventually, you might actually get to use an MBA.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
No duh. I suppose ordering a BTO and then returning it if it doesn't have the hardware you want is one way of handling this. Eventually, you might actually get to use an MBA.

I paid almost two grand for this notebook. I don't throw that kind of money around lightly. I want the best panel available, especially since I was already disappointed by the LG display before I even knew there was a better model available.

Haust

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2011
I paid almost two grand for this notebook. I don't throw that kind of money around lightly. I want the best panel available, especially since I was already disappointed by the LG display before I even knew there was a better model available.
Exactly how I feel. BTW, it is not a subjective opinion. It is a fact that the Samsung panel is better then the LG panel.

Try this experiment. Take your LG MBA to an Apple store. Tell them you want to compare the screens. It's ok, they will let you do this. Now, set your background to Pink Lotus Flower. Set the display model (which will no doubt have the Samsung panel, but check if you like), to Pink Lotus Flower. Bring the box with you cause you're going to want to return it on the spot.

Also, notice the poor quality of the text displayed by the LG model next to the Samsung.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I agree with this; however, a panel with a higher gamut would be more capable of this.
Which is why we should ditch TN and go for things like IPS :p I think that we'll see a move to this in the next 2 years or so. Tablets and smartphones have good panels (oleds and IPS) and some have now started putting IPS panels in their notebooks.

So you could say, my definition for a "better" panel is one derived to be so by reason. Subjectiveness does come in when it simply comes to looking at a monitor - Yes; however, for the sake of a debate - like this thread - people should think rather than just say "I like it better" So "it is better" Or "the other is not better." From that, we will never get anywhere with this thread because of what you say. So yes, you are correct, but that being said, this thread might as well go in the trash.
You can obviously discuss something but one needs to remember that it is subjective and not objective. We can help people by uploading the colour profiles. We can also take this discussion to a more technical level discussing the technical aspects and by doing tests with colorimeters and the like. If you are looking for a better panel than this would help.

I was speaking rather lightly to get a point across. It would have to be modified in order to actually perform it. For example, you could focus on one primary aspect at a time. This could be, for starters, color gamut. You would have all other major parameters the same like, panel type, pixel density, contrast ratio, etc.
I'd just think about what you want to accomplish and narrow down the options for it. I don't think you need a lot of different options though. Maybe use it as a guide for people who want an Apple notebook with the "best" panel.

Good talk. :)
Likewise :)

13" MBA i7/8/256 from Education Apple Store

I noticed the washed out display immediately. No surprise, I have the LG display. I took it to my local Apple store for comparison. All 4 floor models have the Samsung display. The color and contrast superiority of the Samsung is undeniable, both in text and images. Calibration helps, but is not sufficient mostly with respect to the text.
I have the LG too and did a calibration. I've rebooted after doing the calibration and I'm currently doing a burn-in period (using the MBA instead of my Mac Pro to get things settled). It seems that a day after the calibration things are a lot better colour-wise. Colours are looking as they should (as far as that is possible with TN) and differences with other TN-panels here are small.

I highly recommend calibrating the display (no matter what brand it is!) and letting it run for a while (do a burn-in).

1. Can a customer demand the Samsung Display?
I don't think they can. They simply have parts which they'll use. Sometimes it is brand X, sometimes it is brand Y. It is simply a matter of what they ordered. Not a very uncommon way of working btw.

Has anyone tried calibrating the LG and/or Samsung screens with real calibration software and colorimeter (e.g. - Spyder 3 Pro)? (as opposed to just calibrating by eye with the step by step options in the settings on the MBA)
I did with my Spyder 3 Pro and version 4.0.6 of the software that comes with it.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
NMF said:
Bring the box with you cause you're going to want to return it on the spot.

And the employees of the Apple store will simply let you root through all their stock of MBAs, first looking for the ones that have the same CPU, memory and SSD size as the MBA you are returning. Once they have done that, then they will let you determine which LCD it has.

I am looking forward to the posts by the people who actually do this versus spout off on a discussion forum.

uba2012

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2012
Denmark
Today I went to a store (for the second time) where they sell MacBooks. I opened terminal and put in
The code in both the 11 and the 13 inch. Both where lg.
The first time I went to the store I liked bob screen, have in mind that I didn't have any clue about this thread.
But today when I went to the store ,before checking which brand the screen was I said to my self these screens are good.
And after I checked the brand I was surprised. So I really don't care if I get lg.
but I don't want to compare it to the Samsung, if I do I'll probably change my mind.
I haven't ordered the air yet but I'll do I soon when mountain lion comes out and is pre installed on the air.

thehopscotch

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2009
US
I have the LG too and did a calibration. I've rebooted after doing the calibration and I'm currently doing a burn-in period (using the MBA instead of my Mac Pro to get things settled). It seems that a day after the calibration things are a lot better colour-wise. Colours are looking as they should (as far as that is possible with TN) and differences with other TN-panels here are small.

I highly recommend calibrating the display (no matter what brand it is!) and letting it run for a while (do a burn-in).

I did with my Spyder 3 Pro and version 4.0.6 of the software that comes with it.

Thanks for the info and tips! Mine still hasn't arrived...FedEx needs to hurry up, because I'm getting impatient!! I'll try the calibration with Spyder and a burn-in with whatever screen I end up with. Glad to hear your LG is looking better!

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
yes. i find the AUO much better than LG.

Samsung
AUO
LG
Agreed, it has far better contrast.

Aaaaand I feel relieved again, thanks guys!

Good to hear 2 accounts of this as someone earlier in the thread said the opposite, ie that the LG is noticeably better than the AUO.

Just out of interest, if any of you (or anyone else) had the AUO panel, would you be pursuing an MBA with a Samsung instead as many here with the LG panels seem to be doing?

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
Aaaaand I feel relieved again, thanks guys!

Good to hear 2 accounts of this as someone earlier in the thread said the opposite, ie that the LG is noticeably better than the AUO.

Just out of interest, if any of you (or anyone else) had the AUO panel, would you be pursuing an MBA with a Samsung instead as many here with the LG panels seem to be doing?

i would not go to the trouble of returning a AUO in an attempt to get a samsung, you may end up with a LG.

bcwright03

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
I opened up my new macbook air today. I was very glad that it only took four days to be shipped from China to the US. Proceeding, I checked which display I had. Honestly, I think the subjectivity of this matter holds some truth. I'll tell you why. I opened up my new air, and thought, 'wow, this is a nice looking display.' With some confidence, I went and assumed I had a samsung panel. After checking though, I was psychologically disappointed to find out that it was not a Samsung panel after all. I say psychologically though, because I really do not have any problems with this display. I trust Apple enough (without too much affirmation) to pick a part that will be in the same quality standards as the computer they are manufacturing. The design team probably has a very philosophical vision, and I am sure that when choosing parts, they would choose wisely. Sure, they may have picked LG to cut costs, but the billions of dollars that Apple is worth speaks to their quality, given their less sturdy windows counterparts.

After that digression, I will say that I calibrated the screen with one of the color profiles that I found on an OSXDaily article from 2011. Needless to say, I am more than happy with my laptop. The profile fixes the low contrast. It doesn't do much to the vibrancy, but that is not a concern for me. I'm sure many will have an issue with that though if they are producing media. For me, non issue.

I also checked my ssd, and was thrilled to find out that I have a samsung drive. It may by hypocritical to criticize over-zealous complaints about LG panels and then go on to celebrate my brand of ssd, I know that. But a faster ssd is much more important to me than having a more saturated and accurately colored screen. If I had trouble reading text, I would have an issue; Seeing as how the color profile increased the contrast (helpful for reading text), I am perfectly alright with my new air.

On another note though, it really is disappointing that this is an issue. I may say that the difference between two panels is not a big deal, but to some, it is. Especially when you are paying out the wazoo, one would want the best quality product. The multi-part manufacturing seems unnecessary and doesn't correlate well with Apple's minimalist philosophy.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I opened up my new macbook air today. I was very glad that it only took four days to be shipped from China to the US. Proceeding, I checked which display I had. Honestly, I think the subjectivity of this matter holds some truth. I'll tell you why. I opened up my new air, and thought, 'wow, this is a nice looking display.' With some confidence, I went and assumed I had a samsung panel. After checking though, I was psychologically disappointed to find out that it was not a Samsung panel after all. I say psychologically though, because I really do not have any problems with this display. I trust Apple enough (without too much affirmation) to pick a part that will be in the same quality standards as the computer they are manufacturing. The design team probably has a very philosophical vision, and I am sure that when choosing parts, they would choose wisely. Sure, they may have picked LG to cut costs, but the billions of dollars that Apple is worth speaks to their quality, given their less sturdy windows counterparts.

After that digression, I will say that I calibrated the screen with one of the color profiles that I found on an OSXDaily article from 2011. Needless to say, I am more than happy with my laptop. The profile fixes the low contrast. It doesn't do much to the vibrancy, but that is not a concern for me. I'm sure many will have an issue with that though if they are producing media. For me, non issue.

I also checked my ssd, and was thrilled to find out that I have a samsung drive. It may by hypocritical to criticize over-zealous complaints about LG panels and then go on to celebrate my brand of ssd, I know that. But a faster ssd is much more important to me than having a more saturated and accurately colored screen. If I had trouble reading text, I would have an issue; Seeing as how the color profile increased the contrast (helpful for reading text), I am perfectly alright with my new air.

On another note though, it really is disappointing that this is an issue. I may say that the difference between two panels is not a big deal, but to some, it is. Especially when you are paying out the wazoo, one would want the best quality product. The multi-part manufacturing seems unnecessary and doesn't correlate well with Apple's minimalist philosophy.

you know, it is funny that you say this b.c i think the panels vary from computer to computer. I have seen some LG's and thought ehhh and others and thought it was a samsung.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Alright, I just got back from the Apple Store. I brought my new MBA with me (with box and everything) ready to plead with them to accept the return and then order another BTO. I sat my LG MBA next to the Samsung MBA's that were on display. The difference was obvious. However, when I switched to the MacRumors calibration (from OSX Daily) I couldn't discern the difference between the two. I'm not a professional photographer or Photoshop enthusiast so perhaps my eyes aren't as trained, but I stood there gazing at both screens for about 15 minutes and was not able to tell them apart a single time.

I walked out of the store with my same MBA, content with the screen after all. Make sure you guys use that calibration file!

Time Less

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Planet Earth
Alright, I just got back from the Apple Store. I brought my new MBA with me (with box and everything) ready to plead with them to accept the return and then order another BTO. I sat my LG MBA next to the Samsung MBA's that were on display. The difference was obvious. However, when I switched to the MacRumors calibration (from OSX Daily) I couldn't discern the difference between the two. I'm not a professional photographer or Photoshop enthusiast so perhaps my eyes aren't as trained, but I stood there gazing at both screens for about 15 minutes and was not able to tell them apart a single time.

I walked out of the store with my same MBA, content with the screen after all. Make sure you guys use that calibration file!

is this is the same profile that was linked from osx daily(?) blacks are really clipped. i find that the 280 profile is the best for the lg panel, but still lacks vibrance of the samsung.

Last edited:

mrdroid921

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
Hello,

I been lurking for a bit reading the threads here and thought I'd join up and post. I ordered a Macbook air 13.3 just under a week ago, and when I seen this thread, my heart dropped Lol. I had had some issues with the screen on the new Ipad when I had bought it, and went though like 3 to get to a perfect screen, which was a nightmare. I just got my macbook today, and per the OP's instructions I checked which display I had, and much to my joy, I have a sammy display. I also checked to see which SSD, and that is a Toshiba, which is ok with me. I can say the display looks amazing, and it was brighter and seems to have better colors then my 13 inch MBP late 2011. All in all, I am very happy with this machine, and am glad I got it!!!!

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I ordered a 13.3 MBA i7/256/8GB on 7/2, which arrived today. Both SSD and display are Samsung. I created a custom color profile with my i1 Display Pro and it looks even better now since there was a slight green cast. So far so good. :)

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
is this is the same profile that was linked from osx daily(?) blacks are really clipped. i find that the 280 profile is the best for the lg panel, but still lacks vibrance of the samsung.

Where can I get that one? (the 280)

thehopscotch

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2009
US
My 13" i7, 8GB, 256GB MBA just arrived about an hour ago. I thought the screen looked great as I browsed my photography site and looked through some photos and checked out a few other sites with text/photos. Of course, I had to check to know for sure, though (but I was assuming it was likely a Samsung)....and it turns out that I have an LG screen. On the bright side...my SSD is Samsung!! I have to say, after reading some of the posts on here, I assumed it would be easily apparent if the screen was an LG, because some make it sound horrible, but it really doesn't appear bad to me.

I am going to run Spyder 3 Pro on it tonight to calibrate the screen (since I'll be using it to edit photos), and then I'm going to compare it to my 2009 MacBook Pro which has always worked well for my photo editing. At that point, if it is noticeably bad, doesn't calibrate well, or looks bad in comparison to my old MBP...then I may make a trip to the Apple store tomorrow to compare it with a Samsung screen there, but in reality...I'm guessing that the Spyder software and colorimeter will fix any issues with it. I'll report back!

In other news...this is my first Air, and I LOVE it!! So much easier to work with than my Pro! I love everything about it...the speed, the looks, and especially the weight (or lack thereof!)

ETA: I know some seem to care about where you purchased to find out if there was a trend as to where the LG or Samsung were coming from....mine was ordered directly from Apple (obviously since it was a BTO), but it was ordered from the employer partner store (or whatever they call it), since I get a discount through Apple with my company.

ins187

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
Got my 13" i5 8GB today. It has a samsung LTH133BT01A03 panel and a lg ssd. I never had a ssd before so i probably won't notice the difference and i just love the samsung panel. Looks better then my (alu) 24" cinema display.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
HEAVENS no! Those are both way worse than the MacRumors one posted on OSXDaily! They're both almost as washed out as the stock calibration. The MacRumors file is way, way better.

i really like the osx daily one!

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
Got my 13" i5 8GB today. It has a samsung LTH133BT01A03 panel and a lg ssd. I never had a ssd before so i probably won't notice the difference and i just love the samsung panel. Looks better then my (alu) 24" cinema display.

Toshiba SSD?

macneubie

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2011

Wow! first time I heard LG supplies SSD to Apple :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.