Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sallysho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
Hey, hope someone can help me, I spilled a small amount of coffee on my laptop about a week ago right over the power button, quickly drained it by sitting upside down and was fine. Until a few days later it ran out of charge and simply died; black screen, no whirring fan noise, nothing, yet green light shows when charging. Have tried everything to no avail. Took it to a repairer and they said it was most likely the motherboard and would need replacing for $700, is there any other possible reasons this could happen or a cheaper way to fix it.

Thanks!

Lambrook

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2015
I had something similar happen to me in winter 2011. Caught in a blizzard, and let's say "enough" water leaked that it apparently messed the motherboard up. it still worked but the keyboard didn't... Needless to say it's a massive refurb job. When I scouted around back then everyone was saying $1500 or so.

sallysho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
which is of course close to the price I paid for it, so buying a new laptop seems the better choice. Think I'll be getting a Microsoft this time

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
So it sounds like it ran fine with battery power but once drained nothing.

Makes one think it's not charging after coffee.

Could it be as simple as a smc reset?

To reset the SMC:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.