Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
The MBA and iPad are completely different animals. The MBA is overall probably more useful (also much more expensive and not as fun to use :p )

acio

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2010
I'm using a MBA (rev C, SSD) as my main computer, and an iPhone as my secondary computer. I work on my MBA and I browse the web while in bed with my iPhone. The iPad has an advantage over the iPhone, it's screen size, but has many more disadvantages, less portable, no camera, no phone calls, probably worse battery life. I'm always carrying my iPhone around because it is my cell phone, so it's always there when I need it. I wouldn't carry my iPad around unless I knew I would need it beforehand.

The iPad may be a good replacement for the MBA if you have another computer and you are evaluating a MBA as a secondary computer for light tasks. But in that case, the iPhone would be an excellent replacement for the iPad and the MBA. The MBA is a good replacement for a main computer, but I wouldn't buy it as a secondary computer, because of price.

If you have enough money you could buy all of them: MBP, MBA, iPad and iPhone, and use the best one for what you're going to do.

ddd269

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Torrance, CA
But maybe Apple is trying to add a new home appliance that didn't exist before. Think of the pc, people thought no one wanted a computer in their homes before. Or a TV, maybe they thought movies are in cinema only. If you had an oven, why do you need a microwave?

Very good analogy... especially the oven one. If i may add to your comment...

Some have just an oven, just a microwave, or both. some might want it all and own a toaster and even a toaster oven. Some functions overlap, but clearly each devise has its advantages and cant be compared directly. Can't cook a turkey for 8 on a toaster oven :D. Comes down to personal preference and what you need it for.

Maybe the original post was written in haste/frustration towards Apple, but I'm pretty content with my MBA 1st gen. Got it the first day of release. Had some issues but after several updates, it's been running great for the last 1.5 years. i even use Skype video and ichat several times a day. Rev B, should not have a problem... perhaps since it was a refurb there were other problems that led to the poor performance.

Man, this post took for ever to type... Using a Dinovo Mini I just got. Cant get used to the key layout yet :p

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
34012604_60244f0d3c.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.