Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ns93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2024
Hello, I bought 2 weeks ago new sealed Macbook Air M2 13,6 inch, base model with one adjustment 16G RAM. Everything looks fine, but the build quality looks really bad. I compare it witj 2018 Air and M1 Air. In the new model I see the screen ins squeezing once the mac is closed. There is a small gap on the one side and I see flexing, it makes also sound when I touch this side with the gap.

I saw a lot of bad comments, and I am wondering why Apple does not fix this issue, on Pro models I do not see this issue.

Is there anybody with MBA M2 without this issue?

Or should I wait for M3 Air and they will fix this quality issue?

Thank you in advance,

Reactions: minazuki-sho

ngel22

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2023
I can confirm the bad quality build issues, although I don't have yours. The issue with mine is the bottom case, not perfectly fitting, so on 2 of the 3 sides you can feel a slightly sharp edge. Even though I could return it, it is just a minor cosmetic issue for me, you also risk to get other issues that are much worse, such as screen issues (grey lines), battery not at 100% health, etc... Live with the fact that Apple is cutting costs here and there, decreasing overall quality. It will get even worse over the next decade, so nothing we can do, except switching to PC, but that's not an option for me.

Reactions: helloapple1

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2020
I can confirm the bad quality build issues, although I don't have yours. The issue with mine is the bottom case, not perfectly fitting, so on 2 of the 3 sides you can feel a slightly sharp edge. Even though I could return it, it is just a minor cosmetic issue for me, you also risk to get other issues that are much worse, such as screen issues (grey lines), battery not at 100% health, etc... Live with the fact that Apple is cutting costs here and there, decreasing overall quality. It will get even worse over the next decade, so nothing we can do, except switching to PC, but that's not an option for me.
I have this exact same issue with my 15” M2 MBA. Left and right bottom has sharp edges as bottom isn’t completely flush.

ngel22

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2023
I have this exact same issue with my 15” M2 MBA. Left and right bottom has sharp edges as bottom isn’t completely flush.
It's a shame Apple went from high quality premium to low quality premium in the past 10 years. Apparently they gained so much monopoly nowadays so that they can afford doing that. Leaving us with only one choice, to switch to PC which is much worse. But that is with all products, food, clothing, etc..everything went down, our world is going down.

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2020
It's a shame Apple went from high quality premium to low quality premium in the past 10 years. Apparently they gained so much monopoly nowadays so that they can afford doing that. Leaving us with only one choice, to switch to PC which is much worse. But that is with all products, food, clothing, etc..everything went down, our world is going down.
I’m glad you mentioned your issue because I thought I was the only one.

ns93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2024
Thank you guys, lets hope, that M3 Air will be near perfect :) I hope it will be released soon.

ngel22

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2023
Thank you guys, lets hope, that M3 Air will be near perfect :) I hope it will be released soon.
Don't expect any changes regarding build quality with the M3. The design will still be exactly the same, with the M3 Chip being the only difference. I doubt Apple will increase quality control as it would increase costs.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I think the downgrade in quality is a direct result of a change in the production assembly in China. Apple has been using Chinese manufacturing for a long time so something must have changed at the factories. Chinese production is some of the most advanced and best in the world. Maybe they make them in a cheaper way than before. I am sure Apple was offered a choice. Higher quality, lower production and lower profits or lower quality, higher production, higher profits.

Apple has simply decided to put profit ahead of quality. If Tim Cook called up his Chinese OEM partners and said quality was most important feature in building our products you would see the exact same product with no defects and better quality components and it would be done very quickly.

If you are upset with the quality you are paying for them you should voice your concerns directly to Apple and start voting with your dollars. Otherwise nothing is ever going to change.

minazuki-sho

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2024
yea, lid gap are pretty normal now, had this on two MBA M1. Maybe it's for extra space for display so it can less contact with keyboard

ns93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2024
Hello, I think the same issue remained on M3 MBA, what do you think? Is happening to your M3 MBA as well?

arcite

macrumors 6502a
Hello, I bought 2 weeks ago new sealed Macbook Air M2 13,6 inch, base model with one adjustment 16G RAM. Everything looks fine, but the build quality looks really bad. I compare it witj 2018 Air and M1 Air. In the new model I see the screen ins squeezing once the mac is closed. There is a small gap on the one side and I see flexing, it makes also sound when I touch this side with the gap.

I saw a lot of bad comments, and I am wondering why Apple does not fix this issue, on Pro models I do not see this issue.

Is there anybody with MBA M2 without this issue?

Or should I wait for M3 Air and they will fix this quality issue?

Thank you in advance,

The macbooks are so THIN now, it’s easy to flex them. Perhaps you accidentially bent it while opening/closing it, putting it in carry case ect…. I find the 15 Air SEEMS fragile regarding potential flexing. There is zero tolerance. If a small speck of sand got stuck in just the right place, I’m sure it would crack the screen. Everything must fit exactly. :D

My ancient 2015 Air was built like a tank.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
No apparent flexing on my M2 15” MBA.

Then, again, I’m not going to press down very hard! The opening in the front may be smaller on mine, too.

OTOH, I see little flexing in the first video; some in the 2nd.

We could view this situation differently. The hinge mechanism may have been redesigned to provide a slightly bigger gap to protect the screen. So, naturally, if one applies pressure, the opening would get smaller. It could well be a feature, not a bug!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.