Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The mid-2013 to 2017 MBA obtain their wifi and Bluetooth functionality with a card that plus into the main logic board.

Does Bluetooth work? Did this happen suddenly or after a software update? Tried SMC and PRAM resets?

kabalove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
yes, BT works fine. We just opened the computer in the morning and it wasn't showing any wifi networks (the other computer is fine with the networks.. thus i can write).

SMC and PRAM resets did not try. should I ?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I would try resets as they may fix the wi-fi issue.

It shows no networks at home and other places like a Starbucks?

It's also possible that the wi-fi card is defective, although that would be strange because the Bluetooth works.

Reactions: kabalove

kabalove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
thank you. yes, it does not show any network while other computers and phones do show.
BT works fine. good to know it's the same card.
How do I restart SMC and PRAM on Mackbook Air?
Thanks!

kabalove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
how do i do that if i have no internet connection?
[doublepost=1517631278][/doublepost]in the system report, under WIFI > Status, it says: "Not Associated"

kabalove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
no USB wifi.
i do have another Macbook Pro which i am writing from now.
not all data backed up yet.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Here's how I would proceed:

1. back up all data;
  2. take it to an Apple store and let them run a diagnosis to see if they can pinpoint the problem. If it's still under warranty, I would definitely take it to them;
  3. use your Macbook to download the Sierra or High Sierra dmg or iso, restore it to a USB key;
  4. if you don't want to take it to an Apple store or repair centre, use the USB key to wipe the Air's drive and perform a clean install of the OS.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You're welcome. I hope you get it sorted.

I'm not sure where you are located but, if you do need to replace the internal wi-fi card, I recommend eBay as a place to start looking. I'm in Canada and purchased a couple of used cards for $20 CAD. The wi-fi/Bluetooth cards from the mid-2013 to 2017 MBAs all use the same card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.