Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
Personally i thought it was pretty obvious that it would wirelessly boot! How else do they expect you to clean install or access disk utility functions from the Leopard DVD!

I think steve (or the website) would have made a point that you require the external drive to do such a task.

It was only unanswered in that it was not documented yet. We had all talked about it being something that should be there.

If that wasn't possible it certainly would have been a mistake.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Gorgeous machine however it doesn't suit my needs.

I'll pick up the MacBook Pro that we all know will come out around WWDC and will be based off the new aesthetic: tapered design with clean lines, thin LED backed display, magnetic latch, black MacBook style keyboard.

I'm guessing that the new MBP will probably have an HDMI port instead of DVI and maybe get rid of the Ethernet port (USB to Ethernet dongle available).

Hopefully by then, solid state drives will be a lot more reasonable in price. I wouldn't mind having a 64GB SSD for the OS, applications and other Library functions and a 200GB for storage.

Can't wait!

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
It can be done without the $99 external SuperDrive if you have a computer that costs a lot more.

I don't understand the problem here... IF you have a computer already - and since you have an MBA, it's safe to assume you also have wi-fi - then you don't have to worry about getting the SuperDrive. And if you DON'T... well then you can purchase the SuperDrive for only $99. Much cheaper than a secondary computer. At least they're giving you options so you don't HAVE to purchase the SuperDrive. And IMO, the SuperDrive is a LOT better than making you purchase a computer to boot from or having to send it in to Apple to restore it.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
It will be interesting to see some performance tests.

I wonder how slow this thing will be with the 4200 rpm drive. I also wonder how well the wireless DVD actually works.

Whenever I use a network drive it always seems dog slow compared to a local drive. I can even see a big difference between wired gigabit ethernet and wireless N for network drives.

Personally I would not buy one of these but I am curious as to how well they will actually perform.

Having used one at Macworld I can say that the machines are really, really quick.

Whether this was just because it was a fresh install is something that should be considered but I closed an MBA to put it too sleep, made sure it was sleeping and opened the lid again, it must have woke up in under 3 seconds and was usable again. Amazing compared to my MBP.

All the applications seem fairly snappy but once again it was a clean install which was no doubt refreshed each evening.

Finally I was accessing some files on some of the Time Capsule units they had and it seemed pretty fast, Leopard has made network access considerably faster than on Tiger.

Azurael

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2005
I'd have thought wireless booting for ALL Mac require firmware/EFI upgrades for every machine Apple support under 10.5?

I can see them doing it for the Intel machines, but the expense of getting engineers familiar with OpenFirmware to release updates for the PPC Macs makes it seem very unlikely to me.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
lazyrighteye;4803589 That said said:
I feel the same way. My fanboi "ORDER IT NOW!!!!" behavior didnt kick in like it normally does. And I would like a smaller replacement for my MBP...

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
The packaging looks too flimsy to support this via the usual couriers. Just a thin plastic dish to hold it in the box? Expect a few of these to arrive DOA in damaged boxes.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
It always confuses me

When they say the Macbook Are is useless to Mac users...I believe Apple made an amazing product that is useful to a ton of people...the Macbook Air is not meant to be your main computer...the main point is to be portable and lightweight, and that it allows you to do what you normally would love to do on your Imac...I'm a high school history teacher, I own an Imac and do my lessons on powerpoint, but before I fell in love with Apple I bought a dell inspiron laptop...it is heavy and a peace of crap...I would only use it when I took it to class and connected it to my projector, to do my lessons...the Macbook Air now solves all my problems, I can do my lessons on Keynote in school during my break period, surf the net on safari (which blows away any internet search engine), have itunes opened, mail, and so on...the Macbook air will allow me to have the essentials of my Imac in my briefcase at only 3lbs, which is exactly why they made it...if you want to create an elaborate movie or mix your bands new cd then go get a macbook pro but stop complaining about the Air, it's beautiful, to the point and well worth the buy! I can't wait for these 2 weeks to fly!!

CommodityFetish

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Glad they're bringing wireless booting to all macs. Maybe this means other models without optical drives are in the works... <crosses fingers> :rolleyes:

The MBA is just ahead of its time -- as in the parts aren't really there yet. One or two years from now with faster, smaller processors and larger, less expensive solid state drives, and then you've really got something.

For my budget I can't justify paying that much more for sub-MB processor and hard-drive, no matter how much thinner or lighter it is!

I'll be waiting for the puck to catch up to where Apple has skated... :p

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Having used one at Macworld I can say that the machines are really, really quick.

Whether this was just because it was a fresh install is something that should be considered but I closed an MBA to put it too sleep, made sure it was sleeping and opened the lid again, it must have woke up in under 3 seconds and was usable again. Amazing compared to my MBP.

All the applications seem fairly snappy but once again it was a clean install which was no doubt refreshed each evening.

Finally I was accessing some files on some of the Time Capsule units they had and it seemed pretty fast, Leopard has made network access considerably faster than on Tiger.
I think all the Apple demo Macbook Air's had the solid state drives in them. At least that is what I was told at Macworld.

TC2COOL

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2007
Mississippi
Did anyone else notice the manila envelope in the last few shots???

Surely that was something the 'Unboxers' had on hand...

I mean it would be pretty awesome if Apple shipped the Air with an envelope... At least I think so.

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
"Update: We've been told that Mac OS X 10.5.2 will bring wireless booting to all Macs."

Is this on Intel Macs only or on PowerPC, too?

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Update: We've been told that Mac OS X 10.5.2 will bring wireless booting to all Macs.
This alone will make the wait worth it. :cool:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 97

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
It can be done without the $99 external SuperDrive if you have a computer that costs a lot more.

Will the exaggerated whining never end? how is a mini equivalent costing $599 more expensive?

Wonderful, beautiful machine which is relatively unusable and unsuited for 99% of Mac users.

But, they will sell a ton of them to the other 1%.

Not even tempted personally.

and I love statistics pulled out of the rear brain. relatively unusable and unsuited? Please. Unusable and unsuited for you doesn't equal 99% of Mac users.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
wireless booting i must say is rather impressive. i'm assuming other random programs can be installed in a similar fashion. what about external hard drives?

this is my question too. does one have to buy time capsule in order to back up the MBA. i'm trying to sort out in my head if i'm getting this or a souped up MB. the decisions . . .

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
And those negative comments all boil down to the same thing:

Some people want a 12" or 13" MacBook Pro.

Yeah, those people fall in the same group of people who desire the return of the lampshade G4 iMac, along with the people who only want a 12" subnotebook. Apple isn't going to listen to them, just like we don't listen to old people who refuse to change with time.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Holy minimilistic packaging Batman!

The more I look at it it the more I want one.

Must...resist...spending...another....$1800....must....resist....

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
"Update: We've been told that Mac OS X 10.5.2 will bring wireless booting to all Macs."

Wireless booting is in the firmware, so it would have to be a firmware upgrade, not an OS upgrade. Perhaps you meant to say the a firmware upgrade will be simultaneously released with the 10.5.2 update.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
this is my question too. does one have to buy time capsule in order to back up the MBA. i'm trying to sort out in my head if i'm getting this or a souped up MB. the decisions . . .

I picked up a new bus-powered USB enclosure and fitted it with a new drive (160G for $99!) I now use that for Time Machine. Every now and then (once, twice a week) I plug in the USB drive and let TM do its thing. It's not the huge inconvenience that Jobs makes it out to be. And the drive is small enough to not be annoying in a laptop bag.

$29 bucks, nice case. Check it out:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MOTGSU2/

PS I also got the drive from them too.

marcg007

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Boston area
Even with the student discount...

I would want the SSD which would in the long run still put this over the $3000.00 mark. Perhaps once I have a regular teaching gig, I'll be able to get my hands on one or maybe Apple will start selling other laptops with SSD in them rather than standard HDDs. Still looking forward to seeing these in person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.