Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnjeffrey

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Hey there anyone know of a good sturdy backpack that would fit my MacBook but also school supplies? Thanks very much for any help

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Well, I've got the Incase Rip-Stop Backpack and I think it's fantastic. Although it's a bit pricey, it feels like real quality; I'm hoping it'll last me for a good few years. I find plenty of space for my Macbook and all my law textbooks (which are HUGE!!). The Macbook compartment is lined with felt so you won't get any scratches on it, as is the iPod compartment.

On the downside, you might find it a big too big. Sometimes I feel a bit daft walking around with it, but that's probably just me being paranoid. Not practical on a crowded bus!!

jamone80

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2006
So Cal
u could just buy a sleeve for your MB so you can use a regular backpack. i actually just made my own sleeve out of an old blanket. works well and i saved bout $50-80 :)

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
I love the brenthaven, have a north face also, and a tenba for my camera equipment and tipowerbook

johnjeffrey

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Thanks for all the responses..gonna have to check them all out, wish there were a better way to actually see them in person, you know?

Also--living in Portland so the rain shall come--any of your packs waterproof?

Finny69

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2006
Boulder, Co.
www.jibij.com

Hey, I work at a ski shop here in town, and know of some great backpacks we carry.

You can check them all out at http://www.jibij.com.

I personally own the Line Transit Pack, and it holds my 2.0 Macbook great. Doesnt rattle or shake, feels completely safe and secure.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
I just use that material sleeve that was supplied, wrap it in a towel and stick it in my regular backpack. No scratches or anything, works well and looks inconsipcious!

johnjeffrey

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2006
yeah but judging from the pictures (of the lower-end models anyway) the Crumpler bags do not look like they have a specific section for the laptop, so the books and laptop and force together which is annoying

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
FleurDuMal said:
Well, I've got the Incase Rip-Stop Backpack and I think it's fantastic. Although it's a bit pricey, it feels like real quality; I'm hoping it'll last me for a good few years. I find plenty of space for my Macbook and all my law textbooks (which are HUGE!!). The Macbook compartment is lined with felt so you won't get any scratches on it, as is the iPod compartment.

On the downside, you might find it a big too big. Sometimes I feel a bit daft walking around with it, but that's probably just me being paranoid. Not practical on a crowded bus!!

i also have this bag, and i must say that i love it. and no velcrow that will eventually not work

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I love my Oakley Icon 2.0 backpack... it is HUGE and is able to fit two pretty large textbooks as well as a few notebooks and a nice little pocket for my MacBook...

I love it so much I am considering on getting a second because the one I have right now is starting to show its age on the bottom. :(

idiwa

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow. UK
Try looking at Burton bags/packs. Most (if not all) of their gear is designed with laptops and ipods in mind. Im looking to get one of their Analog (an offshoot of burton) messenger bags or going for a big jabba Addict Recordpak. I'm in my final year studying graphic design so Im always carrying around loads of big phat books as well as the macbook.

Burton Reverb Pack

Analog Mirage 2 Messenger Bag

RECORDPAK™ MK3

The main reason Im going for the above is that I dont want something that looks like a laptop case. If I'm carrying several grands worth of gear I'd rather not advertise the fact to the local scumbags.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
FleurDuMal said:

Although the link doesn't work, I'll jump on board and recommend Incase. My Incase Sling Pack (they don't make them anymore, sorry) is of excellent build quality, and has served my iBook well, although it is a little small for school. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another bag from them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.